Does any American care?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by biosoccer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

Hearing the news of the US attack over Irak (started yesterday 09/05/02), I wondered what was being said in the US about the situation - thinking that the timing for such attack is quite convenient since public opinion (if there's such thing in the US) is centered on recalling 9/11 events. Searched on CNN and I found nothing about the attack itself, only things about "pushing Iraq"... nice "push".

Do people in the US even know what's going on for REAL?

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe everything Saddam Hussain says. He would never lie. And no I don't care about these things. There just part of a cat and mouse game we have been playing the last ten years.

3. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    someone forgot to turn on the sarcasm filter for crewdust's last post :D

4. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    also. those no fly zone retalatory attacks have been going on since the no fly zone has been around. they always sneak a AA truck in with some missles and shoot at the patroling planes and then run. and we drop bombs on their stuff in retaliation.

just playing by the rules he signed

(dear UN remember that thing called enforcing penalties imposed in treaties?...i guess not)

you can't flip out because we're only doing what the rules say (for once)

5. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    As mentioned above, this has been going on for a long time. Even during the Clinton administration there were times that the military actions had to escalate over Iraq. I remember a few years ago ('98??) that my ex-girlfriends dad was sent to the gulf do to a build-up that could've lead to an invasion.

6. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i believe it was public enemy that said

"Don't believe the hype!"

also. the media is just making a big deal about it because us v. iraq is a big deal now. it's like the child abduction stuff. it happens everyday but people think it's inexsitant until it's pasted on every paper.

biggest problem in our society? we fix our problems because someone behind a desk in a suit just informed us about it for 4 days in a row instead of in a passing blurb.

7. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    im going into the air force here in a few months... this isnt exactly something i want to see escalating...

8. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    What are you going into the Air Force for?

When I was going through boot camp I had a SEAL for a Company Commander. He asked our company why we had joined the Navy. Guys gave answers like 'To learn how to be an aircraft mechanic' or 'to earn money for college'. Once everyone gave him their answers he told us that we were all wrong. He told us that the real reason why we volunteered our lives away was to 'Kill'. That may sound kind of strong, but when you think about it that is what you are doing whether directly or indirectly. Sure you are just fixing aircraft but the aircraft that you just fixed had come back from a bombing mission and going back out for another.

9. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i still have to pass the DLAB, but barring failure in that, im goin in as a linguist.

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The book of Proverbs (18:21):
    “the tongue has the power of life and death”

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    "Colonel, I want two squadrons of Wart Hogs to blow those camel jockey tanks to ************, and goddammit, I want a linguist riding shotgun on the lead plane!"

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Make sure you're cunning

13. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HAHAHAHAHA, do we still have post of the week?

14. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    uhhh...
    i dont think you'll have to worry.Even if you were enlisting in the Army or Marines into a Artillery/Infantry chances are you wouldnt see any combat time for close to a year after your first minute in Bootcamp. As an Airforce linguist.... the only desert you will see will likelyt be in the SW USA, with the rest of the glorified wing wipes.Heck, very few Air Force pilots will likely see any action in Iraq.Most of the sorties will be done by Navy pilots.

15. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    well, they have an airborne linguist too, which i might take. still havent decided. either way, 95% of us are based overseas. and i know im not in a combat position, but still. funny, my friends job title is airborne battle management. hes got more to worry about, for sure. but i still could very easily end up over in the middle east.

and, wow, that cunning linguist joke was original. i havent heard THAT one before...

16. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

Well, thanks to everyone who has posted here so far I just proved my point... you just don't care and as long as you are safe and warm in your country, you don't give a sh!t about what's going out there - the rest of the World.
    No wonder why brightness is not one of the sterotypes of americans.

17. angus_hooligan

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Do you know what language? What made you decide to be a liguist? I was an Air Traffic Controller and it turned out that I was the only one that had any formal language training too (HS French). So I was also the ships interpretor when those stinky bastards flew on board.

18. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the expense of 1.5 million Iraqi lives...and 3,000 American lives (if you believe the Bushies).
    You should care.

19. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did Saddam agree to the no-fly zones?

20. angus_hooligan

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    No, I'm just a briliant pentagon employee that got them to look the other way...muhahahaha

21. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way guys, I hope you noticed that the attack that biosoccer is referring to occurred well outside the no-fly zones (i.e. inside part of Iraq where they can have some semblance of an air defence under int'l law).

22. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's still not the first time (nor is it the second or third)that the US has bomb inside of the No Fly zone.

In response to biosoccer, we don't care because this is a common occurance. Why should we care about wasting a few bombs and a country that is being a pest?

23. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That's what I try and tell people who are always pro Army, including my aunt!

Even adverts for joining the Army, don't highlight the whole point of the Army, to kill others.
    They often just portray it as a chance to learn skills like fixing vehicles, driving skills etc almost as if it's job training.

People like my aunt think "Our wonderful fighting men out defending the country,"

Nope, they're there to kill and destroy other humans deemed enemies.