Do you stay and watch practice?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ppierce34, May 16, 2019.

1. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Surely the majority of parents drinking strong spirits in the sun and then driving home is an issue? I couldn't care less what level of football we are talking about here, that is a disgrace. I'd expect that kind of behaviour from a bunch of spotty teenagers on spring break, not from seasoned soccer parents :laugh:

I understand that in the US there is a very relaxed attitude to drinking and driving, but in my view it's completely immoral. Especially when you have children on board. But hey, don't let me stop you enjoying your cocktails in the sun, it's only peoples life's that are at stake on the drive home.

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    My apologies.

Let's pursue this a little bit... are you ok with folks having alcohol at professional games? If so, why? What about at a bar/pub where they need to drive home? Alcohol (the effects of) doesn't care whether you're drinking at a bar, a professional sporting even, or a youth sporting event. If you have enough to get drunk, you have enough to get drunk.

I am not a big drinker and do not have alcohol during a game. But when we go out for a team meal at the end of the day, I might. Is that better that I'm drinking at a restaurant and not at the fields? Why the difference? And don't give me this "hot sun" BS... the hot sun isn't going to change the affects from a single (or two) drink.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  3. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    I never at any point said there was any difference between where you drink and drive, so don't really get your argument. What I am saying is that drinking and driving after a kids football tournament is inexcusable.

Also, I find it worrying that you don't realise that drinking alcohol in the sun is also dangerous whether behind the wheel or not.

The problem with your ilk is that it's rarely the "I've only had a couple, I'm ok to drive" idiots that get injured. It's usually the innocent victims of these clowns who pay the price.

4. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Read this again. Then read it again. You ARE saying there's a difference between where someone drinks and then drives. For some reason (and I've asked you to explain), you feel it's different after a football tournament vs all the other times. So why?

Having a drink in between games (presumably with at least an hour or two before you get behind the wheel) is bad, but having a drink with dinner then getting behind the wheel is OK? You think that logically makes sense?

Now, if you want to say you believe there should be absolutely 0 alcohol content in your blood when you're driving, that makes sense. But it sounds like you're saying it's ok to drink and drive, as long as it's not at a tournament.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah - you listen/read your own "stuff" to often and fail to comprehend what others are stating.

6. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Comes down to be socially acceptable, lets be honest. Drinking on the sidelines of a youth soccer game is not socially acceptable whereas drinking at a restaurant is.

7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Right. That's why he keeps bring up the "hot sun" excuse.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair point…it is not as socially acceptable; honestly, that’s why I am pretty discreet about it…I wouldn’t say I hide the fact, but I also don’t advertise it either…

As I as said, being drunk on the sidelines is not cool or acceptable…

I have seen a lot of bad behavior on the sidelines….but I don’t recall any of it the result of someone drinking…

bigredfutbol and VolklP19 repped this.
  9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't go to church either :eek: