Do you stay and watch practice?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ppierce34, May 16, 2019.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah this happens more often then people think - especially at tourneys.

In 2010 We played in Wisconsin and we actually tailgated between games with little smokey joes and so on. Many of the Mexican clubs will set up tents, games and multiple tables with tons of food.

I think it's great! We pay for the journey and support our kids/teams so we deserve a bit of fun.

mwulf67 repped this.
  2. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Isn't the sport enough? Tons of food, smokey joes, beers.... give me a break. Surely, the only entertainment you need is the football on display?

Drinking beers at a youth coaching session is ridiculous. That's what pubs are for.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #28 VolklP19, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    So it was one occasion - hotel was not ready for us and we had 3 hours between games. Kids had carbs and played bags and socialized - everyone had fun. We were a B team at the time - so just relax already.

That said, its not nearly as pathetic as running up a score 30 goals at a youth game and logging on to a message board across the pond to brag about it.

Naw - I think I'll trust my own judgment over your opinion.

:thumbsup:

4. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    drinking beers at training is ridiculous cant get behind that one and i like drinking.

5. Backyard Bombardier

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 25, 2019
    I typically take the opportunity to do an hour-ish of cardio and be outdoors in general, as our practice facility has some nice trails around it. I return for the last half hour, and chat with the other parents during scrimmage time. They run various races to close out practice, and my daughter likes me there because she gets a frappe if she wins. ;)

Cantona's Eyebrow repped this.
  6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To each his own…it was 1 or 2 beers between friends, in the parking lot, some distant from the fields…my kid was at the training; I was just in the vicinity, and not really paying attention or watching the training at all…

Soccer has blessed my son with many great things and experiences…

And so has it I…indeed, I have been blessed to watch my son play all these years, and hopefully a few more…watching my son play will never get old; watching my son train/practice after a certain age is just lame and boring; and not something he really wants me to do….he would much rather I hang with my buddies in the parking lot, then hover over his practices…but if that’s anyone’s thing, once again, to each his own…

I have been blessed to have make a few real friends that transcend our shared interested in our son’s soccer…these are the dad’s (and 1 mom) I would share a beer with…and I see them semi-frequently outside anything soccer related as well…

diablodelsol and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I used to bike and run when I was at Olympic. I wish I was doing that these days but work is both busy and stressful - I am a single dad and my daughter lives with me so more and more, practices are the few moments I can sit down and relax.

I am picking up games with our open play groups on Friday nights and Sunday mornings so that's slowing helping me to get back in shape.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pubs are for getting laid...;)…most happily married people do the majority of their beer drinking outside pubs….

9. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son's practice is 5 minutes away from a Buffalo Wild Wings. Super convenient.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize he's talking about an all-day tournament out of state?

Generally, you're there for two or three days, all day long. Tournaments tend to be held out in the middle of nowhere or in some far-flung suburban locale. There's nothing of interest nearby and nowhere to go. The kids are with the team, coaches, and team manager. The parents are...just sitting around between games for three days.

Why SHOULDN'T they have some fun in between games? We used to do it all the time. I'd watch some of the other games as well, my wife and I would look for a park or at least a trail in some woods to go for a walk--but there's still usually a lot of time to kill.

Having a couple of beers and grilling some burgers during down time is perfectly sensible. I can't believe anybody would get worked up about it.

mwulf67 repped this.
  11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to be pedantic, but English pubs aren't like bars here. They're neighborhood institutions, and they generally close down fairly early. Going to your local pub to get laid is a great way to become the subject of a lot of local gossip. ;)

As for things stateside--my wife and I actually like going to bars when they're less crowded and noisy. Something about sitting at the bar, having a couple of beers and some fried grub--we've never outgrown the appeal!

Cantona's Eyebrow, mwulf67 and VolklP19 repped this.
  12. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Nothing wrong with having fun and socializing, but if you think stuffing burgers into your face and supping beers at a youth sports festival is acceptable then that's your journey.

Personally, I think drinking at a youth sporting event shouldn't be tolerated.

13. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Sorry, couldn't disagree more. Drinking has no place at youth sporting events. Drink a coke or something else. I can't understand why any adult would want to drink alcohol in that kind of environment.

Poor role models for the children.

14. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Sounds like you've got a lot out of youth football as a parent. But are you sure your son would rather see you drinking beer in a parking lot like a hobo than watch a bit of his training? And how can you drive him home from training if you've been drinking alcohol?

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #40 VolklP19, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Lol...

Maybe you should just stick to humiliating 8 year olds on the field by jamming the nets up 30+ times. You seem pretty good at that.

What you don't seem good at is reading. But like most people with Nacissistic personalities, you prefer to just hear yourself talk :thumbsup:

I see you started a pole that is so vague and misses so many points already made. Good luck on your battle my friend :eek:

16. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    It's a simple question you, moron. Should alcohol be consumed at youth football? You can dress it up any way you want, the question still remains. And it's a "poll" not a "pole" you illiterate turd.

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Oh my :eek:

Define "at"

Define how often.

You have one instance were a parent states - in the parking lot - is that "at" an event? Clearly the fact that they moved from the game to the parking lot would indicate that they know drinking on the sideline was not a good idea. So they moved to the parking lot - likely because they are encouraged as parents to NOT attend practices. So if they are forced into the parking lot and thusly away from the event - they can do what ever the hell they want.

Then you have the tournament event which I mentioned - and BRF elaborated on. Again - this is in a parking lot. Are we not aloud to eat or feed our children? Are we not allowed to have an adult beverage within a 3 hour window between games? The park did not have any rule banning that. And AGAIN it is not "at" the event as it is not on the sidelines getting tossed at a youth game - which is what you seem to think we are talking about.

So yeah - your "poll" is just utter garbage.

Get a grip man - I know your ladies lost but you do not have to take that out on America!

18. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    What are you blabbering about now you idiot?

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Right - so no comment on my points.

Nice argument.

20. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Positive…as a teenager, my son, in both subtle and not-so subtle ways, has indicted his desire for more freedom and independent; to be given space to do his own things and make his own decisions…as I’ve said earlier, soccer is my son’s thing…I am just along for the ride and to provide support, which mostly entails writing check and buying fancy cleats…and that end, I made a conscious decision, a couple of years ago, not to hover over his practices like I did when he was 9 years old…and trust me, he appreciated it.

Now, he drives himself to practice, so all of this is a moot point...

Its 1 or 2 beers over the course of a couple of hours…at my weight, it’s very unlikely that I would make me legally intoxicated. And my age and driving experience, I am not over worried about being able to drive safely. Of course, any alcohol consumption poses risks while driving…

21. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hell, I will have a beer or glass or wine on the sideline at games…once again, discreetly and in moderation…not every game, not every time...but when I feel like enjoying a beer/glass of wine while watching my kid play; I have a beer or glass of wine....many youth tournaments actually sell beer/alcohol…

So, let hear some more faux outrage at my oh-so bad behavior….

22. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I mentioned this in the poll thread, but when we played in the MIC tournament in Costa Brava (in Spain if you were not aware) a couple years ago, every field we went to had a full bar. Notice I said "field", not "complex", because that's what they were... single fields.

And the bars were open. This was for a youth tournament (I think every age from U12-U19).

I wonder if our favorite Englishman will now start criticizing the Spaniards who put this tournament on.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #48 VolklP19, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    We did a tourney in Muscatine for my older daughter a few years back. It was extremely hot - nice fields, sun was out. I found out after day two that the majority of parents were enjoying a lemonade and vodka during games. I was thinking - why am I the only one not doing this? Seriously with how often I have a cocktail at home I figured I would be the one doing that.

This is not DA/ECNL soccer. Our kids are out there having fun and if parents can handle it - I could really care less.

I never once saw an incident in the 16 years of travel soccer I have been involved with relating to booze.

24. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    If you're referring to me, I am not English.

And yes, I'd still hold the opinion that alcohol is unnecessary at youth sport.

25. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    No, because your argument is the incoherent babblings of an idiot. You lost me somewhere around some nonsense about having to feed your children.