Do you consider Redcoats one of our nicknames?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vita666420, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    I wrote the original wording which you modified. I like your version better. The previous wording that we compromised on was always being deleted. Therefore, I wanted to add some "justification" to support the statement.

I think that the current sentence is fair and accurate. If people object to the words "alternate nickname" then simplify the sentence to say

"Based on informal online polls conducted during the run-up to the 2008 season, approximately one quarter of fans also refer to the club as the "Redcoats".

The above sentence does not erode the Reds nickname but adds to it.

Thanks! Netsan.

2. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Yes, you kinda got caught in the middle of it. Yer not of the dark force... but if they want to claim that what you wrote, they should have a poll 'What nickname do you use?" and allow multiple choices. The poll should also have a list of at least 10 choices. And not take polls that ask something, and interpret it this way so as to ask something slightly different.

If they get 25% on that poll, then fine.

However I said I'm out of it as far as editing anything goes. I'm just gonna whine from time-to time.

3. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Oh yes, the historical compromise with ... er ... who? Somebody's cat named Moppy ...

But it wasn't me deleting anything. I quit after including the Squirrel line. Remember when I added that line, I didn't delete anything, then, either.

4. jloome

jloome Member

May 18, 2007
    Edmonton

Lucky, Netsan I realize you have the best of intentions, but this is just the wrong thing to do. LS, you're letting your own biases get in the way of how Wiki is supposed to work. An online poll, which can be easily rigged by multiple voting after cookie deletion, doesn't count as any kind of source at all, let alone a credible one.

There is nothing evidentiary, therefore, to suggest that one quarter of respondents voted for this, becasue you can't tell how many times each person voted. For all you know, 1% of respondents may have voted for this, but each voted 25 times.

So please, can you just do what's right and recognize that a "small minority" is more accurate. Even if 25% did turn out to be accurate, this statement woudl still stand.

5. mikenike

mikenike Member

May 31, 2007
    And not to be repetitive, but the question was not "do you call the team the redcoats" it was "do you consider redcoats one of our nicknames". I voted yes, because there are evidently those who call the team the redcoats (and thus, it is a nickname for the team) - I would never do so, because I think it is a stupid name, but it is nevertheless a nickname.

6. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    If you assume a statistical error for both sides of the poll, they should cancel each other out. I don't really care whether we post the percentage or not. When I posted the percentage, it was only to prevent it from being deleted. A "small minority" doesn't bother me.

Regarding running another poll, it would have to have this question. "Do you use any of these nickname(s) for Toronto FC" (TFC is not a option, it is an acronym).

1) Reds
    2) Redcoats
    3) Reds and Redcoats
    4) Other
    5) None

Frankly, I would hold off running another poll until the end of the season. We're all polled out for now. Time will shape things in ways we don't expect.

7. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    Just read this on Wikipedia, which is totally fine with me.

Based on informal online polls that cannot be verified for accuracy and conducted during the run-up to the 2008 season on Toronto FC discussion forums, a small minority of fans also refer to the club by the nickname the "Redcoats".

It is very difficult to get consensus for anything which cannot be verified beyond a shadow of a doubt. I applaud Lucky Srike's perseverance! I'll do my part to keep this version from being deleted until more is revealed through the months ahead....

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You guys absolutely must be lawyers. :p

9. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    I can't be a Lawyer because I'm doing this for FREE!

I actually work in Information Technology which is just as bad! Hmmmm.... I should just outsource my Wikipedia maintenance to India...:)

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not sure I understand the connection between biases and the possible vote-rigging. What do you mean exactly?

11. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it means he doesn't like the results :p

27% isn't really a small minority, it's only 2% less than what the Liberals got in the last election :D it's 1/3 of all posters, so 1/3 isn't really that small.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe not, but 27% is really closer to 1/4. Let's not get ahead of ourselves! :D

13. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I think it is funny that only this nickname has generated such controversy. It must be good. Imagine how it would aggravate the Revolution fans.

14. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    still not some slim minority by any means, still only 2% less than the Lieberals got last election. should we start calling the Lieberals a fringe party with no actual support as well? (in my dreams maybe, but I'm talking IRL :p)

15. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    I agree that 27% is not a slim minority, but I'm willing to let it slide for now. This is only the first step - to get mentioned in Wikipedia. I am so confident that the Redcoats name will NOT go away, and will grow over the next months and years without the hard sell...

Time will tell.

16. roger_cliveston

roger_cliveston New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Canada
    redcoats is taking a beating...........so No No one consders it one of our nicknames.

17. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is this still going on? This is like debating over who has the better imaginery friend. Time to unsubscribe.

18. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Well 'Revolution' I don't like at all. New England Revolution. Ya, that rolls off the tongue like a lead pipe. Also it's not a 'thing.' It's an event. It should be a thing. At least Redcoats is a thing. Revolution is completely wrong for a name. Revs is no good either, because it has no meaning whatsoever!

I would give them a good one if they ask for it. The New England Crays ... people dressed as crayfish firing off muskets would be rather cool. The Crays vs. the Squirrels ...

19. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Since we're getting into politics and personal agendas outside of TFC and soccer, we'll take this opportunity to close the thread.

Everyone's points have been made.