Do you consider Redcoats one of our nicknames?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vita666420, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikenike

mikenike Member

May 31, 2007
    Given that they are older than NUFC (and everyone else), don't they get first dibs on the Magpies name?

2. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    when did the nickname come about though? It doesn't matter when the team was formed if the nickname didnt come up till much later. ie FC Bayern Munich's "FC Hollywood" moniker coming in the late 90s early 2000s, and should only apply to that era, but the idiots that commentate on GolTV still use it.

3. mikenike

mikenike Member

May 31, 2007
    My completely arbirary assumption has always been that the name magpies follows white and black striped jerseys (as the bird is black and white), and not the other way around - when it happened I haven't a clue, and was kidding about the dibs comment.

4. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So there were no German-Canadians who served in uniform in either World War, then?

I would have thought the idea of those who came to Canada from Germany and who took part in the struggle to liberate their ancestral homeland from Nazism (well, the part which wasn't raped by the Red Army, at least) and help establish a prosperous, peaceful and democratic Bundesrepublik which lies at the heart of the European Union - despite the rather prolonged hangover it is having after the initial euphoria of 1990 - would be a notable one.

Besides, being of German descent didn't stop Ike from being the Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, or Chester Nimitz from being CinC-Pac - a point which was actually made in propaganda reels at the time!

(Shame they weren't as generous when it came to Northern Americans of Japanese descent, though...)

Although if you are descended from German Mennonites, you would be justified in promoting pacifism - but then, you would be then logically compelled to oppose all signs of war, not just those within, or to do with, Canada.

You pick one point out of several that I mention, and extrapolate that out?

You are missing the point of what I am trying to say - which is that Toronto, and the area it inhabits, has a heritage which belings to all of its inhabitants, not merely to those who happen to be white, English-speaking and Protestant.

Though i did note that it's ironic to consider that there are more actual Indians in T.O nowadays than there are First Nations peoples...

There is no guarantee - indeed, it is highly unlikely - that Toronto would have become the city it is today without that large immigrant population - or do you honestly believe that T.O would be just as dynamic and successful if the boats carrying the New Canadians over had been turned back by the Navy, as with the case of the Komagata Maru?

Be careful how you answer that one.

The Royal Ontario Museum has one of, if not the, largest collection of dinosaur fossils in Canada.

Fossils are in rocks.

And there's a Bronze Age Aegean gallery at the ROM, too.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You've missed the point of my comment completely. It was sarcasm.

Add to that, the Battle of Vimy Ridge has nothing to do with fighting the Nazis, it was WWI.

6. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who ever said that you had to be WEP to like TFC? you're trying to turn this into a racial thing, which is totally ludicrous. I seem to remember Ghandi was a Redcoat at a time in his life (Sergeant Major to be exact), I never knew he was White, English, or Protestant. :rolleyes:

My tenth-generation ancestor didnt speak any English when he settled in Pennsylvania, he served in the 62nd "Royal Americans" and fought at the Plains of Abraham, he certainly wasn't WEP. My Grandmother on my father's side was also Amerindian (Iroquois to be exact) but I dont think she is turning over in her grave at the thought of me supporting the term "redcoat"

it's also funny that you don't support the name "redcoats" because of its connection to our British history, but you make mention of the Royal Ontario Museum multiple times in that last post, without any indignation at its name.

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm well aware of that - indeed, Hitler actually went to visit the Vimy Ridge memorial site in France, and thankfully didn't decide to have it torn down...

But I suppose you have a point - Canada did intern many who had immigrated from Germany and Austria-Hungary in the Great War, so even if Vimy Ridge doesn't bother you, those internments might.

I wasn't - you were making it look like you were.

Please understand that I am from a country where it's all too easy to pick up a certain sentiment from British-related topics - and where our own identity and history has been all too easily dismissed and ignored in the past.

So if you weren't trying to say that, I apologise.

It is the name of the museum - would you rather I call it the R. Ontario Museum, or maybe the Republic of Ontario Museum?

And while I take issue with much of British colonial history (and in the case of Ireland, a mixture of colonial, domestic and international history...) I don't have any particular issue with the current sovereign - who has spoken about the bilingual aspect of Canadian confederation (in French, too!) and has overseen the emergence of the modern Commonwealth.

I just hope that if I do ever become Canadian, that she will still be sovereign - the thought of swearing an oath to Charles or William (or even Harry!) is less than appealing.

8. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do landed immigrants have to swear an oath to the Queen of England? People in England have a hard enough time doing it. I remember the Tories a few years back saying they were going to try and make school kids do it after the national anthem.

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Who was it that said that once Hitler or the Nazis are introduced in an Internet discussion, it no longer was constructive? Anyway, just a heads up from someone who is not invested in this conversation that it has been sidetracked way too far and that this is being taken way too seriously. Don't bother telling me to shove it or something because I won't be checking back to read how you all hate me. :)

10. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not to the Queen of England - to the Queen of Canada.

Yes, she is the same person, but she has a different legal personality for each country she is sovereign of.

She also holds other titles, such as Head of the Commonwealth and Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Must keep one busy.

But yes, Canadian citizenship ceremiones involve an oath to the Queen - I was there last year for my partner's ceremony, and she had to join others in swearing the oath.

But then, I was born in Belfast, so technically she's already my Queen - I'm both an Irish and British citizen (and through both, a citizen of the European Union) - though if I become Canadian, she'd be my Queen twice over!

11. JHunterNY

JHunterNY New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Oh, absolutely! No offense taken whatsoever. I don't know who came first either.:confused:

But it does illustrate my point that football clubs aren't as insane about nicknames as American sports franchises are. I mean, if someone started a new major league baseball team tomorrow and said they were calling themselves "the Reds", ESPN would have a meltdown, as would Bud Selig, Bob Costas, and (naturally) the Cincinnati Reds. It's like Highlander with American sports nicknames: "There can be only ONE (in this sport)!" College sports are a little easier: As long as you don't name your team after a Native American tribe, a religious icon, or an endangered species, you can do what you want.

But football, it's different: The nickname's part of the identity, sure (for the supporters, at least), but it's not always a big thing. If someone asks me who I support in the Premiership, I don't say "the Citizens" (Little too Orwellian!) or "the Blues." (Sorry Chelsea, that one's yours!;)) I'll tell them "CITY!" Just like if I asked a United fan who he supports, he (probably) wouldn't say "the red Devils" -- he'd say "UNITED!"

And then the argument would start...:cool:

Hey, call them what you want. I'll take "Reds", or even "TFC" -- initials are good enough for QPR. Whatever anyone calls them, or whatever they call themselves, the only thing that matters is supporting the lads. Period.

12. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    She's not so bad. She's the one person who would prevent us from putting right wing, oil drilling, green house gassing, bible thumping, right to lifing, lethal injecting hypocrits in charge. Not saying we would elect people like that but you know what I mean.

13. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I doubt we'd elect anyone like that. the majority of Canadian would rather elect a bunch of baby-murdering, barcode-tattooing, economy ruining, freedom hating Bolsheviks than an actual democratic government. :p

14. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Despite being a suporter of the Redcoats nick, I would like to see Canada abandon the monrachy and put an elected GG at the top. I don't mind Elizabeth, but once her day is done it's time to move on.

15. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're right, it's not fair that I only take stabs at the right and not the left. Let me fix my previous post:

She's not so bad. She's the one person who would prevent us from putting left wing, bong smoking, America bashing, baby killing, dolphin saving, salmon eating hypocrits in charge. Not saying we would elect people like that but you know what I mean.

16. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    Getting away from politics....Redcoats, absolutely not. Reds O.K., prefer a good Canadian name like Blizzard but as that has been used before how about Toronto Dons.

17. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Blizzards, and a DQ should be put in BMO.

18. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Hey I noticed the dark forces changed the wording on Redcoats entry in Toronto FC Wikipedia page ...

It now reads:

Based on informal online polls conducted during the run-up to the 2008 season, approximately one quarter of fans also refer to the club by an alternate nickname, the "Redcoats".

Which of course is not true for the one I saw here! The poll asked if people considered Redcoats a nickname! They didn't ask if they referred to them personally with that name!

I also notice the sentence is getting larger ... at this rate, by next yr there'll be two paragraphs on it!

Just sayin'

19. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ya, but do you know anyone who actually thinks the wiki is a credible source anymore?

20. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hahaha! That "dark force" was me. In all seriousness though, here is my thinking and reasoning:

1. I genuinely acted in good faith.

2. I personally don't believe that "Redcoats" is really a team nickname.

3. But, Wikipedia is not about what I think "should be", but rather about "what is". So I could easily have deleted the line, but did not.

4. As I wrote in the version history tab (as an update summary), the new wording was intended to better match the rest of article.

5. The original wording was: "Based on informal online polls conducted in Spring 2008 on Big Soccer and Red Patch Boys discussion forums, one quarter of fans also refer to TFC by the alternate nickname, 'Redcoats'."

6. The new wording is: "Based on informal online polls conducted during the run-up to the 2008 season, approximately one quarter of fans also refer to the club by an alternate nickname, the 'Redcoats'."

7. If you believe that my phrase (#6) does not accurately reflect the truth, then alright, but I wrote it while keeping the original meaning of the sentence as it was before I edited it (#5).

8. Hope this clears up some of your questions. :)

21. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, well, having experience editting on wikipedia, I know that the sentence might as well be deleted, as it goes against wiki guidelines of:

no weasel words (source stated is vague)
    no reputable source (online forums dont count really, even though we are smart people :p)
    no citation (link needed)

if someone wanted to edit war, that would be a ripe spot to do so :( ah the memories of wikipedia, hence why I dont edit anymore.

22. Sabres75

Sabres75 Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Vaughan
    The list;

1. Toronto FC
    2. TFC
    3. The Reds
    4. Reds
    5. Les Rouge ""Nous chanton Les Rouge Allez""

That is all.

23. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    You forgot Redcoats.... ya know, the nickname some of use for the team... ;)

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fixed :p

25. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I think its more like this:

1. Toronto FC
    2. TFC
    3. The Reds
    4. Reds
    5. Les Rouge ""Nous chanton Les Rouge Allez""
    10000000000000000000000000000000001. The Redcoats.

:D