Do you consider Redcoats one of our nicknames?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vita666420, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    LOL

2. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No one is telling you to consider all Canadian history before 1970 null and void. We're just saying how the term redcoats sucks and will not catch on as a nick-name for Toronto FC.

You are just advancing my arguements even further without even realizing it. It was a term used for BRITISH soldiers, key word being British, who fought the colonials during the Revolution. Yeah, I remember how they had a half assed attempt at attacking Quebec that was minor at best. Even still, Quebec isn't Toronto so how does the term Redcoat fit here? Redcoats was not a term used in the War of 1812, nor is it a term used now for Canadian soldiers. I'm sorry, but redcoats has no historical context to Toronto.

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nearly 30% are using it. Not a majority but hardly a fringe either.

Don't use it if you don't like it, but obviously some people are going to, and one thing we all agree on about Canada is that it's a free country and people can use whatever term they want, so get used to hearing people use it because it may not become the primary nick for TFC, but it's going to be around for a while at least. :p

I don't like Reds, it's a lame nick, but it's around and I'll just have to get used to it. That's life.

4. mikenike

mikenike Member

May 31, 2007

No, the question was not "do you use redcoats" it was "do you consider redcoats as one of our nicknames".

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yes. But I don't want to argue about it anymore.

Bygones people - it's a football nick, not a history lesson.

6. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fort Rouille was abandoned years before York was established, and Toronto area was bought from the indians in the Toronto purchase. This has turned into a pissing contest of who was here first, which is totally irrelevant. The Province of Ontario, the province Toronto is in, look at the flag.

non-sequitur: it does not follow that just because it happened this way, if it had of happened another way, that the end result wouldn't have been the same.

you said it was only used during the revolution, and not used in 1812, which I just proved wrong. And in case you didn't realize, we are a part of the commonwealth, and our men fought in that "british" army, even American colonists served in the British army during the revolution.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed, and I admittedly have done more than my share in dragging this thing out more than it deserved.

I, and other like minded folks, will continue to use Redcoats as we please, and those who wish not to use it will not. Otherwise I am done with this thread.

8. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No, you didn't prove anything. The article you gave states it was a term used in the the American Revolution and doesn't mention 1812. Also, I know colonialists fought in the American revolution for the British Army. However, I ask again, how does the term "Redcoats" have any significance to Toronto?

9. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    And what does a Raptor have to do with Toronto? How about the Toronto Rock? The Argonauts were a rowing club, but they are mythical figures. The point is that a nickname is SUBJECTIVE. One cannot make it a completely objective argument.

We're down to Reds and Redcoats. Both are cool.

I can say Argonauts, Argos or Boatmen. Leafs or Buds. Raptors or Dinos. Blue Jays or Blue Birds. Two nicknames are not uncommon.

10. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey, I have no problem what so ever if some people want to call it that. I just don't like how some people are trying to force the nick name on others. Like I said before, I'm in favour of a supporter's group called the Redcoats.

11. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Sorry, but Redcoats is a terrible nickname.

I don't know ANY TFC fans that call the team that. Its sounds like a nickname for people who are trying way too hard.

If something has to be forced this hard, it isn't worth using at all.

I'm convinced some of the pro-Redcoats posters have been creating sock-puppets in order to stuff the ballots of this poll. That's the only logical explanation for the way the vote has gone.

12. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    I guess that you also feel that Red Sox, White Sox and Dodgers are lame as well. It's not fair to say we're trying too hard. Come back in 10 years and everything will seem normal to you.

13. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    *laughs* That would be pretty pathetic if they were doing that.

14. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, but the majority probably like those names in their respective cities.

15. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Actually, Redcoats makes me think of Knickerbockers for some reason. :eek:

Plus, 10 years from now, nobody will be calling the team Redcoats. 5 nerds posting on an internet forum won't change it, no matter how hard they try.

16. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    who the hell said they were forcing it on TFC? no one said we HAVE to be called the Redcoats. Some people don't like the nickname, and so are in denial that people use it in reference to our team.

a nickname is a name used to quickly identify something, you yourself have identified that people call the team "redcoats" thus inadvertently adding credence to every other post.

How dare they eh!!! steal your idea without giving credit to you for it :p

17. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    They don't force it, but they are playing games ... They announced a compromise, and posted on Wiki that Redcoats was a nickname. This compromise was rather interesting in that it was unilateral ... I posted 'the Squirrels' was a nickname on Wiki and they removed it. Another seemingly unilateral move on their part. As was mine, but I was making a point.

In a game where English teams with loads of history have names like 'the Canaries' and 'the Owls,' I'm told 'the Squirrels' is a joke. Don't think so.

Now I read the nicknames are down to Reds and Redcoats, and that they are both cool. News to me! I just read 10 emails saying the Redcoats is a horrible nickname! Now we're told it's down to Reds or one that many can't stand ... who falls for this stuff?!

18. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So some people hate the nickname, I personally, and many other Bayern fans hate the nickname "FC Hollywood" but it isn't verboten.

19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know I said I'm done with this thread, but I'll just say this: nobody says it's down to Reds or Redcoats. It's being stated that Reds AND Redcoats are nicks currently both in usuage. Reds is used by a majority of fans and a minority are using Redcoats. If a few people start using Squirrels, or something else even, then that will be one too.

Time will tell whether or not any given name sticks, if it does it does and if it doesn't it doesn't. You can't complain about things sounding "forced" while trying to force one out of usage.

20. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Indeed, I remember not to long ago people like Macksam here were b!tching about how the nickname "reds" sounds too much like Liverpool, and didn't want to call us "the reds" They offered up red-whites, rot-weiss, rosa-bianci and similar nicknames, hell, it might have even been Macksam that offered up one of those names.

21. Johnny TFC

Johnny TFC New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Cairo
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This from TFC's very own "Kickabout":

"The specific acronym for this club is TFC and it does not have a formal nickname although fans do often refer to us as "Reds" on account of the all-red kit, the red seats in the stadium and as Canada's only MLS club the prominence of red on the Canadian flag."

Now I am not going to debate the authority of The Kickabout, but it does appear on the official TFC website, and it does not refer to Redcoats.

Understandably, the question is not what TFC thinks is the appropriate nickname, but what I think. So I am going to have to say, as most have, no.
    As for the debate about the historical merits of a nickname like Redcoats (I will admit here to not reading every post in this thread as I feel things got a little carried away, so if I am repeating something you already said, my apologies), I would argue most people associate the Redcoats with the British army of the American Revolution and Paul Revere's ride of "The Redcoats are coming, the Redcoats are coming!" which I initially thought could be a pretty good rally cry, especially in New England, but then the next reference that came to mind was Benedict Arnold and the fact the British lost to the US - I think that would be something too easy for opposing fans!

22. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    People like me might have but I didn't, or at least I don't think I did. As for said nick names you just listed, I never offered up any of those. My suggestion was the Red Brigade only because I'm paying homage to the Calgary Flames.

23. JHunterNY

JHunterNY New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I don't have a problem with Reds as a nickname. (If it was "Red Devils", then you'd have a fight on your hands!:cool:) We could do a lot worse than emulate Liverpool, even if they do have the Three Stooges for owners.

Besides, there's plenty of nickname repetition in this sport already: Notts County call themselves the Magpies and look like they play in Newcastle's hand-me-downs; FC Dallas is called "Hoops" on Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN2 'casts -- hardly original, between Celtic and QPR. And how many teams are out there that are called "Blues"?

24. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Reds as a nick-name I find more suitable now that we scrapped the white shorts that use to go with the home kits. Hoops is a good one and makes me laugh.

As far as other nick names, I think I mentioned the The Blizzards as one, or the The Bliz as I've been known to call them. It fits well considering the winter we just had.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well at least there's one thing you and I can agree on.