Do you consider Redcoats one of our nicknames?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vita666420, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I may not like the expanded name... but the acronym for your idea is not too bad... ;)

Cheers!

2. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    I wouldn't be surprised if my subconscious did that on purpose. ...

3. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    With Harmse on the pitch we could call them Red Cards.

4. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    If they get alot of injuries, though nobody wants that, we could call them the Toronto Red Cross

I got one, I got one. The Toronto Red Bellies. Or the Toronto Red Belly. Cuz their bellies are red, and they're named after a indigenous Woodpecker... or some other animal that got a red belly, and is named after it. Snakes, parrots whatever.

5. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Right, but since 80% of the fan base can't relate themselves to British colonialism, it will not catch on. You say it's just as Canadian as it British, but that's just not true. However, you can branch off a supporter's group with that name if you try hard enough.

Here here, Squirrels it is.

How about the Muskateers? On the advertisements and what not, wasn't the main slogan for the marketing campaign all for one?

6. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008
    how about the grovers?

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Other than First Nations, we are all, regardless of heritage, living off the fruits of British Colonialism.

You can't rewrite history, Canada's origins are as a child nation of Britain. Surely we've grown up and moved out of the house and our future is in diversity, but history is set in stone, and is shared by all Canadians, including myself and I have no British heritage.

8. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We're not living off anything from British Colonialism. If it weren't the British, it would have been the Dutch, or the Spanish to set up shop here. Their occupation has nothing to do with how far this great country has come along. All England did was follow a couple of French maids doing their laundry.

We all comprehend that as our history. No one is denying that.

Yeah, but unfortunately for your arguement, the majority of TFC fans really don't want to identify with British Colonialism, and they have reason not to. The main reason to have a nickname is to identify with the fanbase. The name redcoats does not do that. Forcing it on someone is quite the Nazi mind game some of the people here are trying to play.

Well, than get off their nads.;)

Like I said numerous times before, if you want a supporter's group that is named that, than, by all means, start one up.

9. Jamer

Jamer Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Scarborough
    Redcoats will be a good nickname once Montreal gets a team.

Then we can really stick it to them, and the French can overreact.

10. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008
    if that happens.. we need to nix the french songs...

11. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    +1 totally agree

BTW: has anyone been keeping track of how many identical threads on this topic there is on the TFC board? like seriously, one could leave for months on end, come back, and predict exactly what the first page will say:

______ to TFC
    Poll:___ nickname? do you like it
    why dont we scout for players in ______ (usually S Amer. or Asia)
    Canadian Cup, why arent we in it?

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Right, all they did was form the basis of government and industry that carried Canada through its formative years, they have absolutely nothing to do with how this country was built ...:rolleyes:

Well then anyone who does not want to identify with British Colonialism should either adopt First Nations customs and laws or leave, because however you slice it, we are all invaders.

That said, the name Redcoats has nothing to do with British Colonialism anyway. It's a reflection of the those who defended Canada from US invasion, which is why it makes such a great nick for us as the Canadian team vs our US rivals. If not for the soliders of Fort York then there would be no Canada and Toronto would be just another US city.

13. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    No you don't. No better way to infuriate Montrealers than by making them listen to your half ass french.

14. mikenike

mikenike Member

May 31, 2007
    With all due respect to the boys at Fort York, I don't know what they had to do with keeping York Canadian - York was taken and the parliament (on parliament street) was burnt down. I would have thought it was more the fellas in Halifax who burnt down Washington that should get the credit, no? (of course, then we would be the Toronto Royal Navies).

15. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ignore Macksam, Polygong, this topic has been discussed on here umpteen times and every time Macksam is centre stage in the debate, hating any semblance of real history. He also conveniently ignores that our military officers still were red uniforms at RMC or in "mess dress". this has all been discussed ad infinitum.

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fair enough, but the point is that the term Redcoats is not a salute to British Imperialism but rather Canadian soveriegnty from the US. To be forthright, Redcoats is not a term that was historically by the Brits or Canadians but rather was used by the American revolutionaries.

That's why in my opinion makes it a good nick for our team, especially when we're playing against New England.

@jadger, good advice, I'll take it! :)

17. use_stupid_name

Jun 3, 2007
    Brampton
    Interestingly enough, New England was against the war in 1812. Even going so far as to openly question their state's inclusion in the United States.

18. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I identify with being Canadian. Don't tell me to get out my friend.

It has everything to do with British Colonialism. It was a term used by Americans during the revolution in 1776-1781.

Do they call those people in the red uniforms redcoats? I didn't think so.

Exactly, you proved my point. Redcoats was used by Americans during the revolution and has no reference to the War of 1812. Why do we want to use a nickname that was slang for the British army in a war that we weren't even involved in?

19. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Damnit, that's enough.

It's bad enough having to deal with this kind of narrow British one-up-man-ship when coming form Ireland (and with family in Northern Ireland, where three thousand people are dead because of the bitterness and hatred shown by people on both sides of the British-Irish divide over the course of thirty years - though thankfully the years since the onset of the peace process have been better) only to see it emerge here among people in a country that really ought to know better.

There would be no Canada without the French - without New France's history in Acadia, Canada and Louisiana, without the Canadiens who sided with Guy Carleton in 1775 and with Charles de Salaberry in 1812, without the proud, vibrant and unique cultural legacy that modern Québec brings to the table.

Plus, the French settlements were often on sites which had been abandoned by native peoples (neither Stadacona nor Hochelaga were there by the time de Champlain arrived in the early 1600s - the waves of smallpox battering the New World doing in the descendants of those who had met Cartier in the previous century) and New France was an empire of trade and complex native alliances, not of outright plantation and displacement.

The record of New France - and that of governments of Québec in the last century-and-a-half - are far from perfect, but they are better than some others one can think of in the Americas.

And there would be no Canada without the First Nations, either - the Hodenosaunee and Wendat and Algonquin and Mikma'q and others, who allied, internarried, fought alongside and defended Upper and Lower Canada in the Seven Years' War, the War of 1812, and in uniform during the two World Wars.

(Naturally, without the two groups above, there would be no Métis, either...)

And there would be no Confederation without the Irish - men like Thomas D'Arcy McGee, who helped get the country started (and got himself assassinated for his troubles) and others from the island, both before and after the Irish state's independence...

...oh, and also from the government of the Irish Free State, that led the lobbying among the Dominions (a role that the Saorstát only accepted out of necessity, but shed when the Republic was declared in 1949) to get the Statute of Westminster signed in 1931 - which gave Canada its legislative independence.

You're welcome, by the way.

Oh, and also, there would be no modern Canada without the New Canadians, the immigrants from around the globe who have made the country their home, and brought it a diversity and vigour that make it a place worth highlighting, when trying to promote multiculturalism and co-operation around the world.

Thankfully, Canada is, and always has been, a far more nuanced and varied place than some seem to give it credit for - and so as to not diverge too far from the soccer-oriented discussion at hand, it's not for nothing that TFC's motto is, and should be, 'All for One'!

20. Witchlight

Witchlight New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All of what you said was pretty much spot on. The only major group I think you missed to mention was the Chinese who literally died making the Railway that completed the nation. They gave more than most.

Yup that about sums it up.
    ALL FOR ONE!

21. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here here. There's a reason everybody loves the Irish.;)

22. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Macksam, before posting BS, please look up the term we are talking about; red coat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_coat_(British_army)

In the United States, "Redcoat" is particularly associated with those British soldiers who fought against the colonists during the American Revolution. It does not appear to have been a contemporary expression - accounts of the time usually refer to "Regulars" or "the King's men".

And you're kidding right? we weren't involved in the American Revolution? They invaded Quebec, or did that conveniently slip your mind?

---
    And Nerroth, you have made good points, but missed the mark. We aren't talking about all of Canada here, just Toronto. Montreal will have its own team soon, they can call themselves the Champlains or Montcalms, we wouldn't mind. So basically, although your speech was well meant and well said, it has no relevance to the topic on hand.

P.S. :D
    [youtube]OxOhk4Lk9aE[/youtube]

24. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And didn't get much credit from the white English-speaking Canadians who prospered from their labour, either.

But then, at least they didn't get treated quite as badly as the Japanese-Canadians who were driven from their homes, had their property stolen, were separated from their families during their 'stay' in internment camps, and were refused the right to return to their homes at war's end.

At least the Canadian government finally got around to apologising to them - but it's still a disgraceful part of Canadian history.

The Orangemen who held 12th of July marches in Toronto didn't love the Irish living in the city...

I like this video better:

[youtube]LnFeByHu_jE[/youtube]

Though the 'Liberal Ad' video on this page is nice, too.

It is very relevant.

For one, the site of Toronto was home to a varietry of native peoples for centuries before York was established.

For another, as far as Europeans go, the French were there first - since the region was part of New France - having established Fort Rouillé in 1750.

For yet another, as described above, there is a not-insignificant Irish history in the city - and given how the term 'Belfast of Canada' (at a time when Belfast's sectarian divisions were even more pronounced then they are - and it's still far, far from ideal) was used to describe the state of cross-community relations, I doubt it would be a part of Canada's history one should be especially proud of.

And yet another point - notice how Toronto went from being a moderately-sized city to becoming the largest metropolis in the country?

Also notice how this expansion happened to co-incide with several waves of immigration from Eurasia, Africa and the rest of the Americas?

I'd much rather have a 'New York run by the Swiss', as Peter Ustinov once described it, than a provincial, sectarian city, thank you.

Oh, and the song you are looking for is this:

[youtube]FTOm7gofXnQ[/youtube]

And remember - it was written in French first!

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fine, I give up. All Canadian history before 1970 is now null and void. People should only care about history related to their own culture and not our shared country. I, as a descendant of German immigrants, will now protest at all Vimy Ridge celebrations as they are offensive to my background.