Do you consider Redcoats one of our nicknames?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vita666420, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you can't distinguish between a minority group of supporters using a nickname because they like it, and a single person flouting a name as a joke because they can't accept a simple compromise, then that's your problem.

2. zzzz

zzzz New Member

May 11, 2007
    Toronto, Sec 221
    We're not the Redcoats, it's not our name!

(by the way ... the contraction of "we are" is we're not were)

3. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    Man...if this childish shit keeps up I'm going to wish MLSE gave us some lame nickname like the Mutiny, Fusion or Burn.

Come on!

And just to add fuel to the fire...sorry, but TFC is NOT a nickname. It's called an acronym. Look it up!

4. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    I admit I wrote that ... I was just playing around ... you can remove it if you like. Well, you can remove it anyway, but it won't bother me is what I'm saying.

5. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    The question didn't ask if they use it or like it!

PS ... it's not as a joke. The name that is. Why is it a joke? Norwich City is 'the Canaries.' ... I mean ... Ok ok ok ... I'll leave it to others.....

6. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto

No worries . . . in this city Leafs and poop are synonymous. Good work.

7. jloome

jloome Member

May 18, 2007
    Edmonton

I swear, it's like Quebec on these boards. THey've had several polls now both here and on the RPB forum, and it's awlays 2-1 -- at least -- against this useless excuse for a nickname that will never catch on.

Please, for sanity's sake, just give it up.

8. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ha ha, too true. And now the librarians have submitted their carefully researched recommendation to the Offical Nicknames and Abbreviations Sub-Committee for approval.

That's the thing about nicknames that are "historic." They generally don't start as a reference to history. Rather they are a reflection of the present that becomes historic due to the passage of time. Randomly picking elements of Toronto's history and attaching them to the team isn't the same thing. A good nickname will come from US and reflect what WE are about. Then over time it will become part of our history as it increasingly refers to a previous era.

That's why I've never liked the RPB's name incidentaly. When I first heard about their group in 2006 the name immeadiately seemed forced and contrived. Too much of an attempt to associate with something from the past rather than reflect the present. I'm sure that their intent was to honour the past, just like Redcoats, but to me it feels like trying to bask in reflected glory. Obviously the founders of that group would disagree and that's their perogative since it's their name but I think that's why a lot of us resent the attempts to force the issue with Redcoats.

TFC is what most of us use in common speach and Reds is used in chants. They'll do fine for now.

Mike.

9. jloome

jloome Member

May 18, 2007
    Edmonton
    No, no, no, ******** this idea, you're just trying rewrite history. Be a mensch and get over it, would ya.

10. kick_it_to_me

kick_it_to_me Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh how I hate the redcoats name.

11. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    What a mensch!

12. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Thx ... I guess if I wanted it to be accurate there should be a sidewalk, and dog poop everywhere. :p

13. chip_butty

chip_butty New Member

May 17, 2007
    Exactly! the Canadian-raised militias did not wear red. I believe they wore mostly green.

14. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008
    redcoats, boooo-urns... how about... blood cloths? :p

15. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    The distinction between militia and regular army is irrelevant. Until 1947, everyone in Canada was a British subject and most non-French Canadians and even some French Canadians considered themselves British until very recently.

16. Chungwa

Chungwa New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Central Illinois
    That may be so. But when I think of Redcoats I think of the British Soldier (as in the soldier across the sea ). Granted, that's more because I have an interest in the Peninsular War than anything else. Now, my inability to see my Canadian... association with the British as being more than just a weak (but often prideful, in a strange way) connection may have something to do with my age (mid-twenties).

Hm, my argument is falling apart. Well, I guess I'll just resort to the fact that our team is not being referred to as the Redcoats by more than a small hand full of fans on the internet.

17. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
  18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's all that anybody has asked for, nothing more.

19. Chungwa

Chungwa New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Who's asking for what now?

(I have no problem recognizing that 50 or so people, in the world, call our team the Redcoats, if that's what you're getting at)

20. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    While I like the nickname REDCOATS, as with others on this board, I would not want anything more added to the official name. Toronto FC is just fine.

Nicknames are meant to be unofficial and if there are more than one, so be it.

21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Asking for exactly what you have no problem recognising, unfortunately, some people won't even agree to that.

22. Khaleeji

Khaleeji New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Bahrain
    I call them the 'Beemers' and I live far away where few follow the mighty TFC so they don't argue with me.

23. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any reason behind it, or you just like how it sounds?

Edit: never mind, I figured it out 2 seconds after I posted this.

24. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    How about Red Leafs (Leaves, whatever)?

25. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    You might be on to something there. How about 'the RED LEAVES?' You know, a little twist on the name. What I'm trying to do is think outside the Toronto they-got-red-shirts-or-coats FC.

Unfortunately my ideas don't catch on as yet. I shall try harder ... :eek: Let's see ... the Toronto Intestinal Tracts! ... er, nevermind..