Do you agree that Mexico and the United States are the best non UEFA or CONMEBOL teams?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by HomokHarcos, Aug 6, 2015.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana's PK loss to Uruguay officially counts as a tie. I think, but I'm not sure, that the U.S.' extra time losses just count as losses.

2. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real truth is, no team outside of Europe or South America are real contenders, I am just trying to say that I think Mexico and the United States are the best of the bunch. I don't expect the United States to win a World Cup.

And that means we can't count Messi for Argentina as he trained in Spain.

3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Yes, standard convention is that losses in extra time are considered losses, while matches settled on penalty kicks are regarded as draws.
    See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Tournament_team_rankings

4. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico annnnndddd then the U.S. .

:coffee:

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  5. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry there are worse. There are people at my school who try to justify their claim that Egypt's national team is better than the U.S. team.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Interesting thread, but what are we measuring exactly ?

Current form ? Historical achievements ? Because depending on what you actually mean by "best teams" the answer will be different.

Historically speaking, and in terms of consistent results then it would be Mexico. They are the only non UEFA/Conembol team to virtually make the knockout rounds every time. They do though have the advantage of virtually being handed a WC spot every 4 years, despite almost missing out last time. This is a massive boost for a team like Mexico and even the US.

Despite Mexico always making the knockouts, they have never progressed past the 2nd round without hosting the competition, and that quarter final appearance was back in 1986 when most of the teams in this discussion had never even once qualified for a WC. Teams like Nigeria, CIV, Ghana, Japan.

Senegal, South Korea, USA, Costa Rica, Cameroon, Ghana, have all made it further than Mexico in this regard, and that is with FEWER ATTEMPTS. So despite Mexicos consistent form its hard to really call them the best, when all the above mentioned sides have made the quarters more recently, AND WITHOUT HOSTING STATUS, something Mexico has never achieved.

If we look to single WC individual performances, standouts for me have been

Korea 2002
    USA 2002
    Nigeria 1994
    Ghana 2010
    Costa Rica 2014(results more than play)
    Senegal 2002

Mexico again is always decent, but none of their displays really stands out to me, maybe 2014.

Who is the best team NOW, and not talking about over long periods of time. Hard to say.

The recent Gold cup did no favours to any concacaf sides. Costa Rica and US both looked horrible. Mexico was mediocre, except for their final game vs Jamaica, who while an improved side, are still not enough to raise Mexico's profile in this regard.

AFC was terrible at the last WC, clearly dominated by CAF sides.

Algeria played Korea off the park.
    CIV defeated Japan convincingly.
    Nigeria drew a bunkering Iran, but bested them in the group.

Australia are current champs, but were hosts.

In my opinion, and its just my opinion having watched the last WC, the entire 2015 ANC, and most matches of the AFC 2015 championship and 2015 Gold Cup, I would say Ghana are the best side outside of UEFA/Conembol.

They lost to CIV in penalties, but they are a much younger side who is only going to improve while CIV is getting older and IMO is rapidly declining, even evidenced at the last WC.

There are lots of teams that currently could give a decent shout for being best side outside of the big 2.

Algeria and Senegal are also strong squads. Senegal beat Ghana twice in the past year. (one at the ANC and the other a friendly)

I would also not sleep on Nigeria who have a massive young generation of footballers who should make them a very strong team for the next few cycles.

Nigeria has played Mexico 3 times in the last 5 years, all of them friendlies ending in draws. One was in Mexico, the other 2 in the US with overwhelming Mexican support. Basically 3 home games for Mexico where they have failed to beat the Nigerians.

USA needs to bring in new talent. Key players are aging, and from what I saw at the Gold cup, they are far from consideration as the best non big 2 confederations team.

Outplayed in back to back home games vs Panama. Beaten at home by Jamaica. Not good at all.

Unak78, nfiniti and thewitness repped this.
  7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

Over the last 3 WC's. I use 3 as a "magic number" because that was the beginning of Ghana's WC history. Ghana has been better than the US, probably Mexico too tbh. The best individual performances of the last 3 WC's have mostly been Ghana, though Mexico has had great games vs Argentina in 2006, dominating performance vs Croatia in 2014, and also a good game vs Dutch in 2014.

US standout performacnce in the last 3 cups was probably vs Portugal in 2014

8. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So consistently getting out of the group isn't an achievement ?

:rolleyes:

Lol somehow ignorantly you stripped Mexico of a quarter final run "Because they were at home" but fail to state that Ghana had the entire Continent of AFRICA behind them in 2010 !

Ha ignorant fool :coffee: .

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  9. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #34 JJV1994, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    You don't get to make a line in the sand , who are you :coffee:

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

this is a stupid statistic because countries like Mexico and US have been playing in WC's far longer than most other sides and have played way more games, so this proves nothing.

Unak78 repped this.
  11. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'ma make a new line in the sand .

Mexico & the U.S. both got out of the group in 2014 , Ghana didn't .

Mexico,U.S.>Ghana :ROFLMAO:

12. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Mexico has not been to the quarters since 1986.

Korea, USA, Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, Costa Rica have all made it more recently and without being hosts, and with far fewer attempts. The only one showing ignorance or foolishness is yourself.

South Africa is not Ghana. Not close in terms of geography or climate.

It is a FACT that Mexico has failed to win a knockout game without being hosts, and not for nearly 3 decades. Despite their guaranteed WC participation.

and I never said it wasn't an achievement to make the 2nd round always, I actually give Mexico props for being the most consistent side.

I don't think they are the best though. I think Ghana is better. I think Nigeria, now that we have a real coach, has more potential, and would beat Mexico on a neutral pitch.

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Yes and by that stupid logic Mexico and U.S. are also better than

Spain
    Portugal
    England
    Italy

Of course we all know that's true isn't it.

14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Mexico and U.S. have played far more games than any other side from concacaf, CAF, AFC,

So again this statistic is completely useless.

15. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    See how stupid it is to make a line in the sand now ?

:coffee:

16. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Lets put it another way. What teams outside of UEFA/Conembol do I think could/will do the most damage in Russia 2018. I would say in no particular order.

Nigeria
    Mexico
    Ghana

It's called FOOTBALL and JJV1994 repped this.
  17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Mexico is the best in CONCACAF right now, they were behind Rich Coast due to World Cup standing, but have now knocked them off their perch.

18. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston

You statement about Korea making QFs without being hosts is wrong.

So to extend your QF logic, would you then admit that all Semi finalist one hit wonders, such as Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey (despite their abject failure since) are better than all African teams, none of whom have made it that far, despite more opportunities for many of them.

How many of those countries you named would trade their WC record for Mexico's (over the time frame since proposed country's first appearance). I would say all but probably Ghana. 2010 would be hard to let go of.

Ghana may be better than Mexico right now, or over the last 3 cycles. All the numbers in that time frame are about even. Ghana reminds me of Nigeria, who looked like they had really arrived in 94 and 98, only to truly disappoint in the next 3 WCs. The question is, will Ghana keep up it going or fall back like Nigeria did? I really hope they stay around and that Nigeria does also. I would rather see these entertaining teams advancing in the WC over the likes of some dull second tier Euro team.

As for who would win on a neutral field, who cares. What matters is how they do against the field. But while you think Nigeria would defeat Mexico, it is a FACT that Mexico has won their only two encounters with Ghana in the last few years, both in neutral territory. And to me that means very little, but surely more than your supposition about Nigeria.

Unak78 and JJV1994 repped this.
  19. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    agree. Algeria was pleasant surprise in 2014, especially after their showing in 2010 and the dismal showings of most N. African teams at previous WCs. Do you think they have much of a chance of a similar level of play in 2018, should they qualify. I know this is really early to speculate, but you follow the African teams more than I do.

Unak78 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  20. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Algeria has a hell of an attack with Djabou, Brahimi, Feghouli and Slimani, and a good goalkeeper in M'Bolhi. However, they will be without their 2010 and 2014 captain Bougherra, who retired from Int'l play. They need to stack up on their defense to be as good as they were in Brazil 2014.

Unak78 and HomokHarcos repped this.
  21. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you exclude Mexico because they won a knockout game as a host, then you have to exclude South Korea aswell.

Unak78, JJV1994 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Algeria should still be fairly similar, and I think they will continue to supplement their squad with young French born Algerian players, so should they qualify they will definitely be relevant, I just think Ghana and Nigeria have greater potential. Senegal is also a team to watch, as their Olympic side of 2012 will be at their prime. We may also see a resurgence of Egypt who also have some youth, and perhaps Mali can bring in their U20 players. Morocco is also a team with many talented individuals, who do have the potential to get their act together and produce an Algeria 2014 type team.

23. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too would much rather see a team like Japan or Ghana perform well at the World Cup instead of a team like Belgium or Switzerland. I wasn't alive in 1994, but I heard people saying that was the only time they felt like an African team actually had a chance at winning the World Cup (referring to Nigeria).

I also heard that Senegal has a lot of upcoming talent and to watch out for them.

Unak78 repped this.
  24. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to see what Senegal can do. I think they have the potential to make the World Cup in 2018. And I would be pleased to see Nigeria finally win a knockout game.

Unak78 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  25. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought I would put this up, these are the knockout stage wins for teams outside of Europe and South America
    1986: Mexico 2-0 Bulgaria
    1990: Cameroon 2-1 Colombia
    2002: Senegal 2-1 Sweden
    United States 2-0 Mexico
    South Korea 2-1 Italy
    South Korea 0-0 (5-3) Spain
    2010: Ghana 2-1 United States
    2014: Costa Rica 1-1 (5-3) Greece

Footsatt, JJV1994 and thedragonrik58 repped this.