Do we realistically have any chance in the World Cup? Anyone Sad?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey All,
    So I just watched us play vs Spain today, the game we lost 3-0. If you really want the honest truth, it really made me cry :( I really have always had so much passion and so much love for our national team, and its extremely heartbreaking to see them perform like this and get this result. Any of you just sad to see this happen as well?

What do you think our chances of reaching the World Cup are? I mean seriously if we miss out on the World Cup, it would be extremely heartbreaking and arguably the saddest moment of my life for me. The talent is there. I really don't know what is the problem. I believe it could very well be Ventura but I can never be 100% sure.

Any of you have any realistic clue on how we can get our team back to the top again? I mean with the talent and history we have, we really need to be competing with the top national teams. If you remember our team in 2006 World Cup and even before that, I don't remember a single time when we failed to make it out of the group stages, let alone the World Cup. In 2002 we were robbed of 5 clear goals, and yet we still made it out of the group stage. I mean seriously I have been confused, embarrassed, and dismayed by the way I have seen our team performing recently especially in today's game. Do we need to sack Ventura? or what can we do?

I can't even express how badly I want to see our team perform well in this next World Cup, especially because this might be the last proper World Cup for a while. The 2022 World Cup is in Qatar and who knows what that will be like (possibly horrible), and then they plan on expanding to 48 teams which is also a bad idea.

Do any of you think we have a chance of winning the 2018 World Cup? I literally thought we were one of the best teams in the world until this game happened. I wasn't sure we were gonna beat Spain, but I really thought at most we would lose like 2-1, giving it is in Spain, but I didn't expect 3-0 at all. This really just disappoints me especially considering we beat Spain in Euro 2016 with the likes of Giacherinni, Parolo, Eder, and Pelle. Players that don't even play in Europe, or at least didn't back then. And we held Germany to penalties, and that was with Sturaro-Giacherinni-Parolo. I mean those midfielders aren't even recognized by anyone outside of Italy. And yet we can't beat Spain with the team we fielded today?

I am now really worried about even making the World Cup, let alone getting out of the group stages. I am really starting to lose hope in Italy. Will we ever be the same again like we were in 2006 and before that?

2. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well I missed the game v Spain. Haven't been that interested in the national team since we abandoned the midfield/possession game (post Prandelli). Have never looked like a great team since. I'd bring him back tbh. Maybe not a great manager, but he knew the direction we should be taking.

totti fan repped this.
  3. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We should still make the World Cup, tho crazy things can happen when your reduce to two games to determine whether you go or not.

And we should make it out of the group stage. Despite what happened yesterday, this is still a very good team.

Beyond the group stage, I dunno. I'm not very confident right now to be honest.

4. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well actually we might end up playing Holland in the playoff game !
    If Holland makes it second in the group, they will be seeded in the lower group

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you even scared of Holland? France smashed them 4-0, and who is even a threat on that team realistically? Robben might be but other than him, they are even worse than Iceland, or Greece at the moment. Anyway Sweden will take second place for sure. I don't see Holland making second place. Sweden is ahead in points and have played much better in their games.

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well Now that I think about it, we probably should make the World Cup with no problem. I still think we are a great team. Spain and Germany are superior, but I still think we could arguably be 3rd best in Europe.

Belgium has no defense, and is not managed too well. France 0-0 Luxembourg, just proved that they aren't nearly as good as people think. I honestly believe if Ventura learned his lesson, and doesn't use 4-2-4 against big teams again, we should be fine.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let me also point out that it was in Spain at least. We have never beaten Spain in Spain for 70+ years. Even if Conte was still in charge, I am not sure if we would have beaten them in their own home. We would have either drew or lost like 2-1, but I don't think we would have beaten them in Spain. But the loss would not have been by three goals, and we would have definitely scored at least one.

8. Calciocynic

Calciocynic New Member

milan
    Italy
    Sep 3, 2017
    This Spain team isn't even that good imo. We are rubbish. More so, the manager is rubbish. As you pointed out with beat Spain only a year ago, knocking them out of a major competition. Ventura is a muppet and has no business being at the Helm of this famous nation.

People knock Buffon but at 2-0 down he came out and forced a great save. At 1-0 down Belotti should have scored, Insigne should have made it 2-1 also. That being said, Barzagli needs to go. Buffon does need to be MONITORED and De Rossi should hang them up also. Bonucci is suspect at times, Chiellini is getting old { I know he didn't play }. We need to play guys like Donnarumma and Rugani more often. ******** this old guard off.

Playoffs don't scare me and Holland definitely do not scare me. They won't even be there Sweden will. Lucky Portugal will qualify automatically either best runner up or straight winners should they beat Switzerland because if we were playing them Ronaldo, Nani and the Silva's could tare us a new one. Would be like Portugal to win the Euros then not make the world cup and although we can beat them, they can certainly beat us.

Poland is the one's we have to watch out for more than anyone. We will get there but we won't win the world cup. And unless you are winning it, who really cares.

Mancini or Conte is what we need. Ancelotti even but he wouldn't coach us.

Ventura is the problem and some old heads. Ventura ought to be playing briscula with old men.

totti fan repped this.
  9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mancini? Are you kidding me?

Anyway there is no best runner up place. Its only the winners that go, although the worst runner up is out. However Portugal regardless of where they end up, we won't face them, as we will be seeded. Poland should qualify automatically as well.

I am not sure how good Spain are, but they do have a number of talented players.

10. Calciocynic

Calciocynic New Member

milan
    Italy
    Sep 3, 2017
    Yes you are right about the no best placed runner up.

Who would you rather have though Mancini or Ventura?

exactly.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really am not sure. This is just one game by Ventura though, so I wouldn't mind keeping him at least for the Israel game. Mancini I am not sure if he is any better. Well now that I think about it, he did have some good results in the past I guess but do you think he would do well with our national team?

Spaletti would be a good option as well I believe. Spaletti actually really reminds me of Ancelotti a lot. They play very similar styles of football.

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here are a list of coaches that would do great with our team:

Ancelotti, Allegri, Conte, Spaletti, Di Francesco, Di Biasi, and I guess Mancini as well. Don't trust Capello though.

13. Calciocynic

Calciocynic New Member

milan
    Italy
    Sep 3, 2017
    I do think Mancini would do well. At least better than this bum Ventura who really should be a pet detective. Even then why are the chances of him finding your pet? He would actually lose it than find it he's that clueless.

Allegri yes I wouldn't mind him. He'd be ok too or at least you'd think so. Capello no chance in hell. He's finished, outdated and was shambolic at Russia. Not much better at England either.

totti fan repped this.
  14. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    we going win the world cup! look back here in less than a year

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope you are right!

Rosay repped this.
  16. Calciocynic

Calciocynic New Member

milan
    Italy
    Sep 3, 2017
    You're dreaming. People said the same shit back in 2010. Go look up the posts.

17. Calciocynic

Calciocynic New Member

milan
    Italy
    Sep 3, 2017
    we could win the world cup. Could. But not with this manager in charge. He should be at the clown festival.

18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    whatever mother ********er

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Id take Capello over Ventura for sure. He's tactically versatile and would whip ass if they don't play well.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  20. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When this group was drawn I knew we would go to a playoff. Thank God play-offs are seeded.

21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ventura is incompetent. Whereas Conte got more out of the players than he actually had any right to Ventura does the opposite, he drags the side down. I've been saying it for years and Conte recognised this truth, first step is to get Verratti the fvck out of there.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Common Verratti was key in Conte's eyes. He missed out due to injury.

23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    he was always either injured or left out by Conte in big games. And Conte openly criticised him.

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only in the beginning. Conte said later that Verratti was key in Euro 2016 before he picked up the injury to rule him out.

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    that's not how I remember things, in any case the side did better without him