Do We Let Them Vote Next Time?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And since he keeps liking posts in the thread...

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll respond to what you said above later as I have to go out for a bit, but electing the worst is a consequence of allowing people to vote. And this consequence will have lasting positive effects, possibly such as more transparent financial matters, more stringent vetting of staff/cabinet apointees, etc. There is already a very healthy discussion of how to identify legit news sources, and many lesson plans being developed or already developed for schools.

Timon19 and American Brummie repped this.
  3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a PM conversation, but I have a strong belief that this part alone seems to do really well.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No. This can't be fixed. It's over. Trump won and it's all over.
    Your idea isn't a good one, and there isn't anything better out there. We're fcuked.

Boloni86 repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're just taking the piss.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #156 Auriaprottu, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    I'm not. Set aside the re-enabled peckerwoods and stepped-up police brutality and the anti-Muslim rhetoric all the other things associated with this man's rise to power if you wish. It'll still take 50 years to undo the damage done by a Trump SCOTUS and the general attitude of mainstream America towards POCs.

I guess this is what MitH meant when he kept telling me to remember who makes the rules (Whites).

soccernutter and American Brummie repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm disappointed that this thread gained 4 pages in one day. You guys need to stop entertaining theories on how to make the logistics work. Remember the premise here was that potentially tens of millions of citizens need to be banned from the democratic process. Never mind logistics. It's culturally unworkable without the state resorting to violent suppression and internment camps. What Brummie is advocating is that we dare the far right into an all out civil war. By what legal authority, I'm not sure. Presumably Congress? I'd love to see the SCOTUS majority opinion that declares this constitutional.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm still trying to figure out how replacing the supposed Devil Incarnate in a divided court with a generic milquetoast pro-lifer-ish guy is some colossal shift.

We all know RBG will be preserved cryogenically when not hearing cases until a D gets back on the Throne.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As she should be, for whatever good is left of this country.

I briefly blamed Marshall for getting out just before Clinton was elected, but there's no way he could have seen that coming, and he'd done so much for this nation that he deserved a rest.

T'was an office until November- now it's not just a throne these days, it's a Throne. The Trumpening in full effect...

10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Hillary Clinton called Republicans The Enemy (in the same breath as saying the same about the IRGC). So how is that different?

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm going to assume this is a lament directed at no one, rather than some sort of attempt to tie it to what I said as if it were some earnest statement.

12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather we have mandatory voting, and penalize those who fail to vote.

If we're proposing radical ideas that have no chance in hell of ever happening, let's talk about something that actually makes sense, and doesn't rely on the self-declared infallibility of certain individuals to decide who does or doesn't get to vote. Everyone votes, but citizens only.

Boloni86, flowergirl, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you can't see who the enemy is --what the difference is-- after almost seven months, you're probably White and non-Muslim.
    Eddie Haskell never called for people to be deported because religion.

I don't know if you made your statement in earnest or not, but yes, if I quote you and no one else, you can assume it's your post I'm responding to.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, I still think Cruz would have been a more disastrous president than Trump. Maybe not from a cozy-cuck-of-Putin point of view, but certainly worse for an America that actually cares for the 99%. So, no, I don't trust Trump voters, but I don't think there is anything we can do about it. As I've stated before, if the tables were turned and the alt-right was talking about punishing people for their voting choices, well, then, they'd be coming after my voting rights. Doing the same to them is NOT the way to go.

Chesco United and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Jesus ********ing Christ, you actually think 1. I think I seriously was calling it a throne, or 2. that I in any way approve of it being viewed in that way, or 3. I view Trump with anything other than disdain, 4. all of the above, or 5. some ********ing stupid combination?

********ing hell.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hillary said the GOP were her enemies, which is correct. Trump could accurately say the same thing of Democrats. That's not the same as taking on a neutral group, nor is it the same as calling that group the enemy of everybody (the people).

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Amen to all of the above.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's adorable.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dude, calm down. I can't read your mind, and neither can anyone else. What you typed was "...Until a D gets back on the Throne".
    It won't BE a (T)hrone anymore when/if that happens.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know why this is such a controversial statement. We certainly aren't working together, nor should we be. It's essentially a battle from the minute you become old enough to vote, and remains that way until you die.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dude, it never WAS a throne and I think you're familiar enough with my postings, despite your prolonged, self-imposed exile, to know when there's a touch of irony about. Just the capitalization alone should have been a big red flashing light.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I hope you can do better than that. If Hillary called journalists the enemy of the people, I wouldn't vote for her. If Trump said Democrats were his enemy ... well hey it's true, for once he would not be fibbing.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fair enough.

But I AM familiar with your posts, and they almost always seem to have a tinge of bitter about them because D or R and not whatever thinks of itself as the reasonable one in the middle. I apologize for getting this one wrong.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wha..? (seriously...huh?)

"Reasonable one in the middle" sort of misses the mark, not least because I don't see there as being a bipolar axis of allowable political opinion.

I especially resent being considered "reasonable" by the likes of this board.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's even adorable-er.

True enough.