Do We Let Them Vote Next Time?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This assumes that these temper tantrums are some sort of anomalies of the American and British people. If people truly don't want their government to do do things, who is to say they should.
    Not having children makes it easier for me to say this of course and if I'm lucky I'm living only another 35 years.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Our"? I'm-a rely on you to tell me what it's like on the inside...

dapip repped this.
  3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the denial of the franchise to former Confederates in 1864, 1868, 1872, and 1876 the destruction of democracy?

I mean seriously, was it?

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think a big part of the problem was shown today.

Supposed GOP wunderkid Nikki Hayley comes out as a full blown Trumper, supporter of corruption and champion of tampering with US elections

What can we do if the GOP leaders are corrupt wannabe despots?

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is the hallmark of the United States right now that the only feasible alternative to my idea is to do nothing.

We haven't added a state to the Union in seventy years - the longest stretch in our history.

We haven't added an amendment to our Constitution in nearly thirty years - the third-longest stretch in our history.

Our GDP growth has been slowing down - long-term - for fifty years straight now.

At some point, when do you look at yourselves and wonder, "Why am I so bad at new ideas? Why are we so bad at new ideas?"

What I'm asking the people voluntarily reading this thread to do is ask themselves,
    1) "Am I okay living in a democracy where a reality TV star can become President by making shit up, and then once obtaining that office, doing nothing of substance for four years?"
    2) "If I am, why have I decided that this is the standard I find acceptable?"
    3) "If not, what should we do to stop reality TV stars from becoming President?"
    4) "How will I accomplish that goal?"

If my idea is dangerous and illegal, what would you do differently?

dapip repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not an expert in US history, but didn't they fight a civil war and killed millions of people in order to be able to do that? Which begs the question, do you have the US armed forces on your side this time?

russ and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is what happens to mature nations.

When those new ideas include explicitly undermining the values one claims to hold, I'm not sure how your way is "better". By all means, attempt to remove the franchise from "people I don't like"! But the catch is you'll have to do so through a legal framework. Go ahead and propose an Amendment!

The solution to said situation is not to throw your toys out of the pram, become an anti-democratic shitheel, then pretend you have done something democratic.

Things have been unacceptable for a while from my point of view. History did not begin in 2016.

Clearly it's to do impossible things that violate the principles you purport to hold dear!
    1. Be persuasive, or
    2. Be a tyrannical shitheel.

Be persuasive. I'm sorry that you are insufficiently so. It is clear that you and I share that in common.

xtomx repped this.
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, I was trying to be considerate.

I wish I could refute that, but I won't, because I can't.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

1 out of 2 is not bad.

stanger repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do seem to be skipping one step.

I guess if shit does get crazy, The US can have a round 2.

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to think that the election of a reality-star President who has violated the Constitution in innumerable ways counts as crazy. Do we need to have a war to admit structural changes are necessary?

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it? Lots of countries have reinvented themselves after centuries of doing things "one way."

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it is the only way it would pass.

With out the 1st civil war the 13th, 14th and 15th would not have passed.

So we will need round 2 for the 28th+ to pass, or just create a new one.

We could also have a new constitutional convention, but the people that voted for Trump and Trump like repugs will have to have representation, unless we go Civil war 2.

Many with revolution/civil wars.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Growth slows.

If you would like to launch a revolution, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed. Persuade me.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is no need for war, as long as the armed forces all agree with you and pledge you their support.

dapip repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Brumie, in Bolivia a president packed the supreme court with his friends/allies, he then tried to force a referendum to amend the constitution to allow him to run for a 3rd term, when it failed, he just got his packed court to over rule it and allow him to run.

Then after election irregularities he was declared the winner of the election by his rubber stamp elections board.

The opposition rose up and protested.

The military said that they would not back the President, now the President is in Exile in Mexico city.

It can happen, and it can fail.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As always, the answer is in Plato.

"There will be no end to the troubles of states, or of humanity itself, till philosophers become kings in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands"

Philosophers of the world, unite!

luftmensch repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Define "unite." And I think your use of the word "world" is a form of question begging Aristotle warned against in his lost work on logic.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Philosophy 101: If Donald Trump opens his mouth and nobody can understand a word he's saying, can it still be defined as a lie?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FYP

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right.

Here is the problem with applying the principles of Plato's Republic to the current situation:

a) Philosophers always bullshit
    b) Trump always bullshits
    c) Therefore...wait...no, Trump is no philosopher

russ, Dr. Wankler, ceezmad and 1 other person repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #597 dapip, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    I was going to post it on the conservative media bias thread, but since we’re discussing banning “conservatives” from voting, I decided to do it here:

I mean, his logic is not completely faulty (until he gets to the "excesses of the left"). Basically, is not like the people that voted for Trump - because they're convinced that brown people is taking over - is going to accept quietly that they don't deserve to vote, and they will be partially correct that their votes will not be counted, because brown people took over.

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the problem in Bolivia. The changes to the constitution should have enabled redistributive policies long after MAS and Morales disappeared from politics. Instead, Morales made the policies about him. Had he retired, and his successors lost in democratic elections, the constitutional changes may have been more durable.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So like if Biden wins, do you advocate like a Biden benevolent dictatorship to reset the democracy?

How would this be implemented?

dapip repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Let me know when. Because I'll go down to 7-11 and round up as much Mountain Dew, Skoal, vapes, beef jerky and Cheetos to set Whitelandian traps in my 'hood.

dapip repped this.