Do We Let Them Vote Next Time?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda my point. Most Never Trumper's I know aren't identifying as republican. Their party has been hijacked.

2. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do we let them vote next time?

Well manipulating electoral results worked well for HRC during the Democratic Primary.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Have you ever considered that rather than cheating, the answer might be to reach out to Trump voters?

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Question - "If we bad-mouth ************s and Mexicans as Trump does, might you consider voting for us?" Answer - "Well sure, I might."

Fair enough, that could be a strategy.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it would only work if you also bad-mouth the ****'s and the ********'s and the ******'s too! Oh, and don't forget the *****'s! Those people are the worst!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What form of primate communication do you suggest?

8. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Trump voters, they are beyond reach for the Democrats.

If you want to reach the newly independent voters or moderates, marching Pelosi out as future speaker isn't the way to go.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Pelosi is the main issue, those are neither "independents", nor "moderates"...

10. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think everyone should be allowed to vote.

My only problem with the "don't let Trump voters vote" is that you would have to know who people voted for, which would require alignment of an individual with a vote. And the secret ballot is paramount.

11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I find myself agreeing with stanger here. There are certainly a lot of conservatives of all party affiliations (and Republicans of all ideological stripes) that detest Pelosi. Forget about those voters. Pelosi also turns off a lot of independent moderates because she's been cast as an out of touch champagne liberal.

In a lot of ways, it's very similar to Romney in the Rust Belt in 2012. I don't think the narrative is necessarily fair, but it exists. If Dems are trying to peel away 2-3 pts of the vote, it makes sense for her to move to something of a consigliere role with someone a bit more "Main Street" running the show.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Like who?

The hate for Pelosi (or Warren, or Harris, or Schummer, or Castro, or Booker) is peddled from the Right Wing Media and if a voter has a poor opinion on one (or likely many/all) of them, is it really a vote that liberals can get?

Here are the numbers from two months ago:

NANCY PELOSI
    Favorable
    /Unfavorable

Republicants 11/83
    Independents 22/52
    Democrats 55/27

In comparison McConell numbers with independents are 18/50, or about the same.

Now, if you tell me, that you want different leadership to ignite the Democratic votes...

And last, but not least, we are witnessing the worst administration in US history in several (if not all) possible dimensions. If you think that the main (or one of the top issues) to discuss, is who should be the voice of the democrats in the house, you are a) not really paying attention, and/or b) think too much of your own importance as a voter, that the party not in power, not corrupt, not enabling the Russians, needs to do just another thing to appease you.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No one comes to a conclusion on their own. All are under the influence of The Right Wing Media.

Except, of course, all the super-independent right-thinkers.

stanger and totti fan repped this.
  14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A new face would help, temporarily. But no matter what the face, it won't take long for the right to detest that person. And here I am #bothsidesdoit, because the left has done the same thing to every GOP speaker, minority leader, whatever.

dapip repped this.
  15. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about "peeling away" or "winning over" a small number of the other side's voters. It would be a much bigger win to get a bunch of the folks who don't vote but agree with you, to come out and vote for your side. That's what going to make the difference in the 2018 midterms (at least where votes are fairly counted) - a whole bunch of young people and women and people of color who didn't vote before are inspired to vote because Trump is such an ass.

I would also like to see a constitutional amendment to more or less put the voting rights act into the Constitution. States that don't have verifiable paper ballots as backup, states that close voting locations in Democratic areas, states that make it hard to get necessary ID to vote, don't get their electoral votes counted. I know that's impossible since there are plenty of red states that won't approve such an amendment, but since Congress and state legislatures can't be trusted to enforce fair elections where all Americans have an equal opportunity to vote, putting it in the Constitution is the only way to make it happen.

dapip repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I doubt that many who cheer candidates who denounce Nancy Pelosi could name a single thing she has done wrong, besides effectively leading the Democrats in the House.

But again, I do not claim this to be a right-only thing. This board might be able to detail Mitch McConnell's actions, but most people who don't like the guy could not do so.

dapip repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Your statement is in no way incompatible with my facetiousness.

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with new blood for Speaker? Pelosi did a lot of good for Dems in 2006 and 2008. That was a decade ago. Why not one of the other 40-odd House women in the party?

MattR, Q*bert Jones III and stanger repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t have a problem either way. Probably not most of the Dems. But apparently is a big issue for independent centrists.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here you go Grape Ape:

21. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key is to get Trump voters to realize they’ve been suckered and played for fools without them feeling like they’re suckers and fools.

That being said, the racist Trumpers can just take a flying ******** at a rolling donut for all I care.

raza_rebel, Gamecock14 and crazypete13 repped this.
  22. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only ignorant piss-boys refuse to acknowledge the reality that for most of the chaff in politics - the doublespeak, the rhetoric (claiming something one party does is horrible when their own party has done the very same thing), etc. AKA #bothsidesdoit is par for the course.

For example, do you detest the idea of Gorsuch as a SCOTUS? Don’t blame McConnell, blame Harry Reid.

It’s called #whatgoesaroundcomesaround

23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Can’t say this enough.

stanger and American Brummie repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    At this point, aren't people that still support Trump basically unflippable, and racist to the core?

[​IMG]

25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very difficult to do. Very hard to pull off when they already knew they were suckers and fools back in December 2016.

totti fan and dapip repped this.