Do We Let Them Vote Next Time?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I've made my position pretty clear.

Anyone want to step up to the plate and defend why Trump voters ought to be allowed to vote in 2020 or 2024?

Ignore the logistics. Defend why you would let such irresponsible people wreck the country a third time.

Mattbro repped this.
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    No. That would quite possibly be the most colossal mistake in American history. Might as well burn the Constitution.

And who exactly is this "we" that bans the voters? Is it the state? So that basically means the US becomes a single party state with all opposition voters banned from voting. Which means that the only logical way the opposition has to pursue power is through a violent coup.

Even Russia and Turkey aren't that brazen in subverting democracy.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Brummie succumbs to Trump Derangement Syndrome.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? We banned Confederates from voting for a decade after the Civil War. Constitution seems to have done just fine.

I apologize. I have reworded my first post to include the phrase "ignore the logistics." I clearly did not articulate that part of the argument and for that I claim full responsibility.

Even Russia and Turkey aren't that brazen in subverting democracy.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they are. Russia routinely bans opposition voters from participating.

But seriously. Why should we let them vote in 2020? What's the argument? This time they'll know better? This time they won't elect a dangerous, incompetent traitor?

Seriously. That's why I was told to start this thread - to have a serious argument. Defend allowing Trump voters the franchise whilst simultaneously banning it for people under 18, ex-felons, people with mental disabilities, and people who came here as undocumented immigrants when they were three years old but pay taxes. I'm all ears.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You've brought this up several times now, and I've been trying to think you were just trolling, but I'll move on from there and just consider that you have repeatedly brought forth this ludicrous proposition.

As for a serious discussion, I'm reminding you (for the third time) of your very own signature. You want to have this discussion, well, then the logistics do matter. How are you going to accomplish this? I'm still laboring under the notion that we have secret ballots here in the States, so how are you going to find out who actually voted for Der Duce?

Your original post didn't mix up the issue of Trump-voters-as-traitor with the above civil rights issues regarding non-adults and felons, so before we go any further down that rabbit hole, can I ask you what opinion you have regarding the age of majority other than voting? Can 10 year olds drive? Should 12 year olds be able to enter into valid contracts? Can a 14 year old declare himself emancipated and drop out of school?

So, please, how is this gonna work, and can you tell me why you are only targeting Trump voters and not including Stein and Johnson voters, who are as surely as complicit for the Trump presidency as
    Trump voters?

soccernutter and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather require everyone to vote than have people not allowed to vote. Everyone should have a voice, regardless of their level of stupidity. It hurts sometimes, but there it is.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said repeatedly that this is me being serious. The last time an entire governing body in the United States committed treason - and at this point we can safely assume that Kushner did not act alone - the country went to war. The losers of that war were denied the right to vote for up to three presidential elections. I'm suggesting just one election.

Easy. We start by identifying the people who obviously support the traitors - the Sean Hannity group, those who served in government under Trump and permitted these acts, and those who voted in the non-secret Republican primary elections for Trump. One could also identify individuals who supported Trump on social media and link them to voter registration. Then, we would invalidate their registration forms for the next election cycle. It obviously wouldn't get every voter, but it would serve the same purpose as Reconstruction - a course correction to remove a plague from the election system.

I think driving should be linked to one's ability to safely drive a moving vehicle, not age. There are 30-year olds who ought not be driving.

As for the other stuff, 14-year olds can get themselves declared emancipated. It happens all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_of_minors

They can also enter into valid contracts without parental consent.

https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=34024

Why shouldn't a 15-year old with amazing proficiency behind the wheel be barred from voting whilst a 70-year old who can barely see ten feet forward be allowed?

Stein and Johnson voters didn't vote for traitors. They didn't stick up for a traitor. They are not as complicit. Hillary Clinton 2016 and Barack Obama 2012 received roughly the same number of votes. Donald Trump received more votes than Mitt Romney in 2012. It is conceivable that every Stein or Johnson voter would have stayed home if their candidate not run. It's not comparable. You know it's not comparable.

It's really a shame that you do not have an actual argument. It really is. It's disappointing to read half-assed arguments to defend what should be a pretty simple proposition: that even though Trump-Bush voters screwed up twice, expanding the franchise to felons, minors, and other disenfranchised groups would accomplish the same course correction.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that imprisoned felons and minors ought to be allowed to vote?

Honest question.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Let's flip the script and give the Economically Insecure denizens of Whitelandia a quick online civics/current events poll test. Those that pass get to vote. Those that fail get a big red REJECT stamp on their foreheads that doesn't come off for four years.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe IQ test and only land owners should be allowed to vote.

I do believe this type of limits have been tried before.

soccernutter and flowergirl repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try a serious argument.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol is not like this is a serious thread.

13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this not a serious discussion, in your mind?

Do you trust Trump voters to not make the same mistake a third time?

If so, why?

If not, what is your plan to stop them from destroying the country further?

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Every US Citizen, who has reached the age of 18, must be allowed to vote.
    It should be absolute right.
    No one should be disenfranchised...no one.

Yes. Australia has compulsory voting and it works pretty well.

soccernutter and flowergirl repped this.
  15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why eighteen?

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are not enough Trump voters to make the difference a second or third time. They have every right to make bad decisions.

It is not that we cannot trust them. We can trust them the make the same mistakes. We have to overcome that "mistake," as we should have in 2016.

The election was right there for the Democratic candidate, who did win the popular vote by 3,000,000 votes.

We cannot trust the millions of Democrats who did not vote or pissed away their vote on Jill Stein.

We cannot trust the 40% of voters who choose not to vote. They are the damaging force to democracy, not the Trump voter.

We cannot trust those so-called "conservatives" who have been actively suppressing the vote for the past 17 years. The new Jim Crow.

Pønch and Boloni86 repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is not a serious question is it?

However, just in case it is, I will answer.

It is the Constitutional age limit.
    It is the age of majority in most states.
    It is the age of contracting in most states.
    It is the age of consent in many states.

Please see the 26th Amendment to the Constitution:
    Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Imprisoned felons?
    Absolutely.
    Abso-f*cking-lutely!
    Just because one is incarcerated does not mean they lose all of their civil rights.

Minors? No. One should have reached the age of majority in order to vote.

If we were to lower the age of majority to 16, then yes.

Voting should be an absolute right of citizenship and should have NO restrictions.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is so much wrong with your post.
    I am not going to quote or comment on the whole post.

I will limit to just one topic.

14 year old do not "declare themselves emancipated."
    They may be declared emancipated.
    It requires judicial intervention and the minor has the burden of proof.
    Also, it absolutely does NOT happen "all of the time."
    It is actually pretty rare, especially 14 year olds.

I have been involved in a few emancipation cases and it is not easy.

soccernutter repped this.
  20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a serious question. Why does the Constitution mandate 18? Why not 17? Why not 19? Why not 18 days, 6 months, four days, two hours?

The answer, the one most people here are incapable of understanding, is that it is purely arbitrary. It was so that people drafted for Vietnam could vote. And I'm asking you, in as serious a way as I can, if you are perfectly acceptable with an arbitrary disenfranchisement of millions of American tax-paying citizens, why are you not acceptable with another arbitrary disenfranchisement?

Why do you think lowering the age of majority to 16 is any better than keeping at 18?

This is what I'm trying to get you to understand. You are okay with arbitrary restrictions on the franchise. Undocumented immigrants, who live their lives without the benefits of earning citizenship, nevertheless pay taxes. Why don't we let them vote? And if we're okay with them not voting for some arbitrary distinction (they were born in a different place than where they spent most of their life), why are you suddenly not okay with a distinction based on an actual track record?

I have difficulty believing that anyone on this board sees your average Trump voter and trusts them with the franchise. I don't. I remember the Iraq war. I remember being called a traitor for opposing the war. And now I see Trump voters starting to distance themselves from their vote. How many times do you let them toss the country into the brink of institutional collapse before you decide you can't tolerate it any more?

So, I not only know someone who was emancipated as a teenager (my wife), but I have a rudimentary understanding of the world. If you google "statistics emancipated minors" you will find a PDF report indicating emancipation statistics for 2015. Of about 270,000 minors in a population of those in foster homes, 9% are emancipated. That's 24,300. You may see that as rare. But that is more than the total number of gun homicides, or gun suicides, each year. That's about 60% of the number of car fatalities each year. I do not see it as rare. And I know more about the topic than you're giving me credit - it's not exactly a lengthy process.

21. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 roadkit, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    But this is actually one of the more idiotic, unserious proposals you have made.

As you say, the last time we had a war. What do you think would be the practical outcome of you and your self-declared morally and intellectually superior cabal have on the country by disenfranchising citizens who have done nothing except vote for someone many of us abhor?

I'l tell you what would happen. People like you would be cooked on stick.

BTW, aren't you Dr. Brummie now? If so, I'd keep ideas like this under your hat. Higher Ed has enough of a credibility problem as it is.

Boloni86 repped this.
  22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Instead of just dissing it, why not come up with a reason why it's not a good idea?

I don't know. I do know that this paragraph was probably stated, all but verbatim, in the run-up to the Civil War as Northerners were considered to be a moral cabal, and that Lincoln's policies would destroy the South for little gain. Now, Trump hasn't done anything remotely as bad as slavery, but our level of polarization is as large as it was then.

Why?

You actually don't know what my idea is. Because you didn't bother to read the thread.

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same reason I don't need to spend a lot of time explaining why it's not a good idea to disenfranchise blacks or put your hand into an open flame.

Sure I do. You've articulated it several times on these boards, and each time it has been exposed as ridiculous on its face. And sorry about the defense, I'm sure it will go better next time.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well we did have literacy tests to keep You Know Who from voting for many decades. And the suppression of voting using legislation & the courts is a uniquely Republican enterprise nowadays. So why not f#ck with Whitelandia and let them prove to America that they're worthy of the franchise? Still another taken-for-granted White privilege.

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are adamantly opposed to the disenfranchisement of ex-felons and barring undocumented immigrants from voting? Or do you have arbitrary distinctions for voting?