Do we have the right offensive capability for the World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the answer is no. He is not a wing player. Wiki says he is a MF... and watching highlights of a player does not give you the entire picture.

AND this debate is pointless, because there is ZERO chance Arena calls him up next week. ZERO.

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Not is not, Arena is our coach and he should call the best American players no players with 0 goals this season

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still you. And the fact that you pat yourself on the back mid-debate is hilariously delusional.

The original argument wasn't a Silva/Zardes comparison, but you are either unable or unwilling to read posts with more than 2 sentences, so here we are. I'm not going to be sad if Zardes doesn't get another call up. But I definitely will be confused if Silva ever suits up for the Nats, outside of a late career renaissance.

Mr Martin and Footsatt repped this.
  4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #104 Footsatt, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Be prepared to be disappointed. Arena has been conservative with his WCQ callups.
    The new guys he called in early this spring were: McCarty, Bingham, Villafana, Acosta, Zimmerman & Llegett. All these guys were in the previous Jan camp.

In the June qualifiers he called in ZERO new guys. They were all on recent rosters, except maybe Ream.

If a player has not been called in for the GC or previous WCQ then they do not have a good chance to make this roster.

Silva didn't even make the 40 man preliminary roster for the GC, so it is not looking good for him.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    The answer yes, he can play as a winger, he is fast with the ball at his feet, he can create, score and defend a little, very smart player.

I played with him when he was 17 years old, I told him to sign in Mexico but he promised his family he was going to go to college, biggest mistake of his life.

I truly hopes he gets a shot, I remember him telling me that his dream was to play for the US national team, he never said to play for Mexico...

6. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Go home, you lost the argument, you asked for statistics and you lost, really just stop.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong poster fam. You really should be able to keep track about stuff like that.

8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    What else you are going to argue?

You boy has zero goals this season, 1 miserable assist, go home.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could go back and read. But, and here's the crucial part, understand what you're reading. Try that. I've spent more than enough time trying to spoonfeed you.

If it's too hard, I understand. I'm not going to be broken up about it.

10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    You are like a Barcelona fan, getting embarrassed in front of everybody and still talking.

You lost, go home.

Silva should be giving a chance on a friendly game before Zardes. Both mediocre player, Silva 10 times better than the other.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swing and a miss!

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    OMG, I have tears in eyes reading this. My Mexican friends have said the same thing to me dozens of times over the years as they're so proud of themselves for loss where they played attractive!

As always, I either say "scoreboard" or "remind me how many points judges give you for style again". They get pissed, shut up but still bring it up later when they've had a few pops.....

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The US, with its cowardly "20 years behind" tactics made the finals of the Confed cup, which is a stronger competition than Copa. In fact, IIRC, we were beating Brazil going into halftime.

Footsatt repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd love to see more of Pulisic/Wood combining. Goals galore from those 2

15. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    It shows how much you know about soccer lmaof

Copa Libertadores is a real tournament no some micky mouse thing.

16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stop arguing with this guy so this thread can not be shit

17. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Counterpoint: The arguments are morbidly hilarious and this thread was doomed from jump street.

Jazzy Altidore, Bajoro, dlokteff and 3 others repped this.
  18. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Wow I saw a post saying Dax will get assists in the world cup. That is all you need to know about how far away we are.

The youngsters right now are very very exciting. Arena will not try them out so Qatar is when we could be firing on all cylinders (hopefully).

For Russia this could be the most consistent offense we have ever had that doesn't just rely on fast counter attacking.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I don't think we have the players to make a good run, short of Silk Chocolate catching fire. I think, more likely, we're going to be sitting here in a year pointing fingers and wondering why McKennie, Wright, maybe Carlton, Sargent, Tillman and others didn't play much/make the roster.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We should have the quality worthy of escaping the group.

Ideally it'd be nice to win all 3 group stage matches for once. But as long as we don't lose (like in 2010). It'd be comforting. If we get to the round of 16, it'd be for the 3rd consecutive tournament. Quite a marvel for a non-top 10 nation.

21. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Getting out of the group have been the standard for the last 3 world cups.

Yep, we keep the same system, same coaches, same type of players.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Indeed. My point is we are close to reaching consistency. No shame in that since soccer isn't the NBA/NFL level

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right but a lot of us were pining for Green at the last WC and while he did score he barely played and it sure looks now like he was rushed and it could have hindered his development. I think a lot of those guys will eventually be big upgrades but are six months to a year too late (McKennie has an outside chance). Next cycle a lot of new faces should be coming into their own.

24. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't stand the idiots who fail to see that the US is up against it when it comes to fielding a competitive soccer team compared to other countries. So sick of the "we have 350million people" and should be at the top.

Here's a hint. NO other country on this planet has near the level of play in five major sports compared to the US. Sure we have 350 million people. And we have baseball, football, basketball, hockey, and soccer all with major professional leagues. It takes one helluva lot of special athletes to fill all those spots.

Not an excuse just a fact of life. Do I think we are improving soccer wise? Sure. Would I like to see it improve at a faster rate? Certainly. But I also have a realistic understanding of a major hurdle this country faces that most don't.

Bajoro and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi got 2 in 2014.

Players step up for the occasion. Maybe it's McCarty this time or maybe its another player like Zusi again or Villfana. It's not always the big name players that get the assists and goals.

Bajoro repped this.