Do we have the right offensive capability for the World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Statistically Zardes is a great player, realistically he chokes evey time he has the ball at his feet.

If Zardes went to Tigres when Tigres is the best team in Mexico with Ginac on the attack, Ferreti would have sent Zardes back saying;

"No thank you."

2. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still have not answered the question on Silva. Nowhere did I bring up Zardes. In short, you responded to a question I did not ask, and even then you answered with a hypothetical rather than making an evidence-based conclusion?

3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    You want evidence?

When was the last time Zardes had a team on top of MLS? A team where he was the best attacking player?

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #79 Footsatt, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Mexico in the Copa America finals was back in 2001. Since then USA has finished higher then Mexico. Just last year with Zardes on the roster.

Mexican Clubs are not relevant to the conversation. Mexican clubs don't play international soccer.

CONCACAF Championship is not relevant either. Mexico has the better clubs... this is not new info.

In international soccer USA and Mexico are very similar. Neither team is going to win the WC anytime soon. Most teams probably want to avoid a WC group with the US or Mexico in it. Mexico consistently gets out of group, and fails after the round of 16. US has done the same in the last 2 WCs.

Out of over 200 teams competing in the WC/WCQ Mexico finished 10th and the US finished 15th in the 2014 WC. In 2010 it was USA finishing 12th and Mexico finishing 14th.

I am not sure how long you have been around, but I argue the US player pool and style of play has progressed a lot in the last 10 to 20 years. the pool is deeper then it has ever been. It is a relative recent phenomena for us to debate so strongly on what players should be on the squad. Even in 2010 the rosters almost picked themselves. I believe back in 2010 when Ching was left off for Gomez, Buddle & Findley was the start of it. We have not looked back since.

This was US soccer 20 years ago...

The US lost to China & tied China in friendlies back in 1997. This was our level back then. The US did finish second in the HEX and qualified, but this shows how bad our region was back then.

5. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, you are redefining the question on Silva and still refuse to put up any statistical data. Nowhere have I mentioned Zardes. I personally don't have a strong position on Zardes and the NATs. Rather, it appears you are incapable of actually supporting your position.

Just to go ahead and provide actual data, Zardes won an MLS cup in 2014, when he scored 19 goals (putting him at 6th in the entire league and only three behind Robbie Keane. He was also an All-Star the following year.

I provided that to give you an example of what evidence based discussions can look like.

DHC1 repped this.
  6. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    No giving a shot to Silva in 2014 was a huge robery by Klisnmann, he brought in some Hispanic kid from the second division and a 16 years old reserve player.

I think is time for Silva to get a legit shot, Zardes was brought into the Gold Cup after an injury just because Arena likes him, he wasn't even healthy.

Again, I am not saying Silva is the answer to our problems but if Zardes gets a chance after an injury when he is not even healthy, if second division players and 14 years old players got a chance in the past, is about time for someone who can actually play soccer gets a legit shot.

7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Are your serious? The Galaxy with the biggest budget in the league with Donovan and Keane? Juninho...

8. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #83 Footsatt, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Zardes and Silva are not competing for a spot on the roster. They are different players that play different positions.

Arena did not call any second division players... that is on Klinsmann

Arena did not call any 14 year olds either... I assume you mean Green, that is on Klinsmann too.

You have your horse hitched to the wrong cart. Benny has a better chance of being called in before Silva. There is ZERO chance Silva makes the WCQ roster in a few weeks.

Edit: My point is the debates about players being left off did not take place in 2006. It happened in 2010 with Brian Ching, and again in 2014 with some of JKs picks. The pool is deeper with more competing players.

9. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    in 2014, Silva played 27 games, started 22, 11 goals, 4 assists, MLS.com

Not to mention he can score free kicks, I think he had 2 hat tricks.

Yes, Silva over Zardes any day.

10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was another guy left off in 2014 that had some good stats. You are proving my point. The US player pool is way better now, and good players will be left off.

Silva is not a winger. Silva is a CM. You need to let this Zardes thing go.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I addressed the claim we were a 'one man offense'.

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    In 2017

Zardes

15 games, 1234 mins,

Nada goals
    Uno assist

Silva 1189 mins played,

2 goals,

2 assists.

MLS.com

Ouch

13. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    No I don't because Silva can be used as winger just like Pulisic is put to the side in some games.

You let this one go my friend.

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When has Silva? In his only good season, Espindola was better. Anywhere else?

Not to mention, Zardes, donkey touch and all, has 32 goals and 16 assists, which is more assists than Silva, who is older and has had an extra year in MLS, playing in the midfield.

15. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    that feeling when you actually have time to find stats and bossed up a "debate."

16. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    0 goals and 1 assist in 2017, great player to me (sarcasm)

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you describing? Your "debate" skills are atrocious, even as you drill down deep into a side-argument.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The thread is about the World Cup.

19. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    What's your excuse for Zardes great statistics for 2017?

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't have to be "great". Just has to be a better fit than Silva. Which he clearly is.

Footsatt repped this.
  21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your excuse for Silva being a mediocre soccer player, any year?

22. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I dont watch a lot of Silva. Does he have the speed to play on the wing? Pulisic plays most of his minutes as a winger for his club. Where does Silva play most of the time?

I just dont think Silva is in Arena's plans. There is a chance Zardes does not make the squad either. Pulisic, Arriola, FJ, Bedoya, Rowe, Nagbe & Morris could all play the wing. This debate is pointless, because Zardes is in Arena's current pool of players and Silva is not. There is no chance Silva makes the next roster.

23. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    You don't watch a lot of Silva? go to YouTube and wikipedia, I am not going to do your homework.

24. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Lmaof who is the ignorant now?

Assuming that both are mediocre.

Silva is 100% a better player than him and Arriola.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That's nice.