DO THE REVS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Lothar is 1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    DO THE REVS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?

It's absolutely astonishing, that with as bad as the Revs have played this season, after Labor Day we are just 2 points out of a playoff position, with 6 games remaining on the season (3 Home, 3 Away), also with the possibility of collecting a US Open Cup trophy.

Like him or not, feel he should still be in the position or not, Heaps also has got the team playing a formation that has looked better over the past couple of games. That was a tight game in NYC, and the Colorado game should've been higher than 2-0. A win (which seems unlikely) in the US Open Cup could do wonders for their confidence as well, going into the stretch.

We also look to be getting healthy at the right time to make a playoff run, with the return of Koffie, Femi, and potentially even Kouassi at some point.

We seem poised to make a run at the playoffs.

Realistically looking at the schedule;

Sat Sep 10 H NYCFC (Currently 1st in E, 44pts)
    sat Sep 17 A Montreal (Currently 5th in E, 37pts)
    Sun Sep 25 A Columbus (Currently 10th in E, 26pts)
    Sat Oct 01 H Sporting KC (Currently 5th in W, 38pts)
    Sun Oct 10 A Chicago (Currently 9th in E, 26pts)
    Sun Oct 23 H Montreal (Currently 5th in E, 37pts)

Do you think we make the playoffs?

Personally, I know DC seems the easier catch, making up 2pts with 1 game in hand on us, but it looks like if we are going to do it, it's more likely going to be Montreal.

They may have 2 games in hand on us, but we play 2 games against them head-to-head, and host them on the final day (if it's relevant). We'd essentially have to win those two games to catch them, so that would erase anything they gain from their games in hand (which are against Orlando and Philadelphia, not exactly easy wins, either).

We also have 2 seemingly easily winnable games against Columbus and Chicago (even though it doesn't always translate to it), whereas all their matches are against tough teams, including their rivals. We're actually the "easiest" team that Montreal faces left, so if they lose both those games to us, it would put their chances of making the playoffs at serious risk.

DC has a very similar schedule with us, with a lot of winnable games, a game in hand, and they have 2 head-to-head matches with Orlando City, which should be key in the playoff race. Yes, we could also catch them or Orlando, whoever wins out from those, but I think DC have more points they're going to earn than Montreal given their schedule.

But, if we win those 4 games (CLB, MON, CHI, MON), regardless of what occurs against NYCFC & Sporting KC (which I think we can get 1 point out of), I think we make it.

Montreal has had some rough results lately (including getting blown out by Chicago), and I think they could be had. With them at 37 points currently, if we beat them twice that would bring us to 36pts. We would only have to catch 1 point up on them from the remaining games, with us playing NYC, CLB, KC, CHI, and them playing PHI, NYRB, SJ, ORL, TOR.

I can see us getting 7 pts from those 4 matches, and Montreal getting 6 or less points from those 5 matches (like going 1-2-2). That would put us in a tie, and fortunately for us, the first tie-breaker is "Number of Wins". Currently we have 7, and they have 9. In that scenario, us beating them twice would take us to 9, and then it's a matter of taking our 2 wins over Chicago and Columbus, and hoping they don't win twice in their other five matches.

It's going to be tough, but it looks like there's still a chance.

[​IMG]

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    You only say that from experience. :p

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three of those are on the road. The Revs have 1 road win all year. Tall order.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the playoffs...
    MLS announces broadcast schedule, format for Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs
    September 6, 2016, 12:56PM EDT
    MLSsoccer staff

6. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Any win all year (every Revs year) is a tall order. It's definitely not a likelihood.

I'm just operating under the assumption that;
    A) The team has found some form lately in this "new" formation
    B) Several streaky players seem ready to snap out of scoring droughts
    C) We're getting healthy with talented re-enforcements who can contribute
    D) Under Heaps we tend to have long ups and downs, we look to be on the way to an upside after the down

Of course getting blown out by NYCFC, or dropping points to Montreal could certainly change all that in a heartbeat.

It's not like DC or Orlando are immune to choking, either.

But, yes, any seasoned Revs fan is a glass is all the way empty kind of guy. Until they show it, no reason to get worked up for it.

Jon Martin repped this.
  7. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Great news, I guess.

But, as I age, I'm becoming more and more of a homer. This really only means something if the Revs are in it. I think I've only seen portions of the last 7 MLS Cups Revs weren't in, and don't remember much from them.

8. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week's game felt like a dead-cat bounce to me. This team still has no coherent idea how it wants to attack. They only seem to score when the other team makes a dumb mistake. I actually think they're the worst team in MLS right now.

What, me pessimistic?

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya.

My first thought was, "Imagine if Toronto were to host it?" Brrr.

10. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Perhaps the better question:
    Do you want the Revs to make the playoffs?

No.

I know, I know, you can't win if you don't play. But I hate it that so many MLS clubs make the playoffs and there's always the possibility that being a horrible team for 6 months and getting hot at the right time could lead to a title. I don't just want 'a title;' I want a title to be proud of.

I'd rather they don't make it, giving everyone a longer offseason to figure out what's wrong and address those problems.

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  11. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    I agree, in concept.

I mean, I'm gonna root them on. But, I hate how MLS playoff system promotes mediocrity and doesn't force teams to improve. Teams like the Revs are able to get by on the occasional playoff appearance, without having really improved the team.

With that said, I think they have done work to improve the team this year. I love the Kamara signing, I think Koffie is an improvement for this team over Jones. I hope Kouassi can come in and mix things up with his pace and physical ability as well.

So I do hope they get hot, and go on one of those Wild Card team to Championship style runs.

In the long run, though, perhaps missing the MLS playoffs provides the impetus to say, alright time to clean house with the Burns, Heaps, etc. thing. I doubt it, though.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think Lothar is right. For whatever reason, it seems to be in the Rev DNA, preceding the Heaps reign, to be wildly streaky. So for me, it's not who the opponent is, it's whether they drink the felix felicis which they have done at times in years past.

This past win wasn't that pretty, but when Agudelo's shot bounced in off the bar, I felt like their luck had changed. We'll see in the next game, but if they pull it together and beat ManCity Juniors, it wouldn't be completely out of character.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they could get hot and do a 180-degree change from how pretty much the entire season has gone. I mean it is theoretically possible, but how likely is it? Our most recent wins came against Chicago and a completely undermanned Colorado team on an off night. One game that we should have won, if we are even on the same planet as the playoffs, was Columbus at home. You'd think we'd be able to beat the team with the fewest wins in the league, but we know how that turned out, don't we...

Wait! Hang on, I think I just saw a pig soar past my window! Gotta run!

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'd say it's more likely than not that we cut it too close this year and miss out.

But, ... I think this Saturday night will tell us whether they are going to make a run for it. They're playing a quality team and have virtually no success this year against good teams. So, good run of form runs into quality opponent. If we're really coming together, then it should show in this game. If not, the question will be resolved pretty quickly.

dncm repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoff Odds 2016
    Updated 9/5/2016
    American Soccer Analysis

Revs currently with a 3.79% chance of making the playoffs, lower than every other team except Houston.

dncm repped this.
  16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Orlando wins last night which is very bad for Revs.

Gap 4 points but Orlando, Montreal, and DC all still have a game in hand. Philly is 10 points ahead with same number of games played.

Scary thought even though they are kinda stinky - both Columbus and Chicago have 2 games in hand and are only 4 points behind the Revs.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ORL didn't just win. They won by 3 goals, on the road.

The Revs are 0-4 this year in games decided by 3 or more goals.

dncm repped this.
  18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Those 3 goal victories are just one of the things they aren't that good at. ;)

19. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    seeing that stat in a MLSS article was really deflating...then I started looking up our regular season record from the past 3 years and it got even worse.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which clubs are set up for MLS Cup playoffs, who's staring into the abyss?
    By Jeff Carlisle
    ESPN FC
    9/8/2016