Do coaches from X country have an affinity for recruiting their countrymen?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by n00bie deluxe, Sep 12, 2002.

1. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I was just curious if coaches from certain countries have an affinity for recruiting their fellow countrymen?

For instance, I have noticed that Arsenal and Fulham, which have French coaches have quite a few Frenchmen on their teams.

2. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    you barely figured this out?

3. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I dunno. I'm new to the game. I'm used to American sports where most players are American, so these kinda things don't come up.

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    See: van Gaal, Louis.

5. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    "I dunno. I'm new to the game. I'm used to American sports where most players are American, so these kinda things don't come up."

of course coaches like to bring players from their own countries. Big name coaches that are allowed to pick their players do this in my opinion to give opportunities to their fellow countrymen and maybe help out the national team.

its all about opportunity.

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    yes, v Gaal is not that popular anymore in A'dam after his first round at Barcelona.

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Coaches often sign countrymen because they know their own domestic market better than any other market. It's not always about giving a countryman an opportunity, but rather that he has seen Countryman Player X in action much more than a promosing Foreign Player Y.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Nearly every player Liverpool signed this summer is French, or came from a French team.

I barely need to mention Arsenal.

9. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    There's also the example of Jack Charlton and the Republic of Ireland... :D