Division changes over the years...

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Aug 29, 2017.

1. keeper dad

keeper dad Member

Jun 24, 2011
    He had been on the top Fire team from about U10 on up and when he hit the DA ages (U16 I believe at that time) he was on the DA squad, not sure how much time he got but he was on the roster. He started playing high school his junior year and played on the Fire National League team those last 2 years. He did get some press in local papers for being the high school star which I think was what was important to the family as no one was writing any articles about the DA team.

The funny thing is my son's high school team has pulled 3 or 4 kids from the DA that are juniors or seniors right now. I don't know if they figure they have done enough to get a college spot or if they just want the high school glory but it seems like it might be a trend for upper classmen at least in my area.

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We have an ECNL player who is now a Senior. She stayed with ECNL until her Junior year - when she went back to high school socccer with a full ride at Purdue locked up.

I can see a strong argument on the girls side for top players to stay out of high school soccer. The percentages are no where near ECNL in terms of college placement - not even in the same universe.

For boys though you really need to be good IMO - just a larger pool and more clubs orientated to boys where they can compete at a top level.

Not saying that's how the family made their choice - you would certainly know more then I.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Common stuff here. You figure out you aren't going to get a pro contract at 17, you have the scholarship wrapped up, so you make a belated play for the enjoyment, camaraderie and recognition that you can't get through the Development Academy.

illinisoccer and mwulf67 repped this.
  4. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    A bit off topic, but anyone know much about Stavaru? I had never heard of them until my son's team played a Stavaru team at a tournament a year (year and a half?) ago that was really solid -- very technical, good in possession and at moving the ball around the field and stretching out its opponent. My son's team did well to hang on by its fingernails and lose by one (and he still talks about the game as one of his favorites).

5. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chip Stavaru is a fantastic coach. I am still sad that the girl side fell apart.

Chip is all about foot skills and possession.
    If you live in the area and your kid is under 10, I highly recommend him.

He trained my daughter an 05 from the time she was 7 through 10.

6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #56 mwulf67, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Going back and picking up on this idea of supposed “glory hunting”…I don’t think there is any shame or any thing wrong in wanting to be recognized and even being celebrated for being talented, good at something or even “winning”…

A big part of why we, as humans, compete at anything is the thrill of winning, of being recognized as the best, and the "glory" or satisfaction that comes with it….even if that glory is fleeting and ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things…

It seems to me, other youth sports, far more popular sports, have no issue celebrating the glory that comes with winning, at all levels…I think about Friday Night Lights, Little league World Series, and every HS basketball game I have ever been to, to name a few…yet in youth soccer, there seems to this idea that “winning” is a bad thing; almost a dirty word….and whereas I agree, focusing too much on winning, especially early on, can cause bad habits, training and tactics…I can’t help but think we carry it too far…there is almost a knee-jerk reaction that winning in Youth Soccer must be result of bad coaching, recruiting, a dishonest club, or generally at expense of development….like other so-called “cards,” the “development card” in Youth Soccer gets thrown around so freely and so often, it seems to lose all meaning at times…

It goes so far, that losing almost becomes a virtue …that losing becomes a synonymous with development; maybe it is, maybe it isn’t…or maybe it’s the development of a lot of very good players at the expense of a few truly exceptional ones…cranking out gobs of college soccer players in a still somewhat, non-soccer country, isn’t that difficult or impressive…and I mean not disrespect to anyone who has/had a kid in the DA or similar program; as I have said before and will say again, if I had opportunity and access to such programs, without question, I would take advantage of them…I’d be crazy not too…

In other youth sports communities, nobody thinks winning is detrimental to development …nobody would think, for example, the Little Johnny Football Player is winning too much or scoring too many touchdowns; that his development must be suffering or compromised…now, maybe Little Johnny Football Player is a big fish in a small pond…but so what…

Did Little Pelé growing up in Sao Paulo lose all his youth games in the name of development; was he forced to play defense, take a rotation in goal, told he needs to stop shooting to give the other kids a chance….OR was he and his little teammates playing to winning and beating the tar out almost everyone they faced? I kinda think the later….

Nor do I think for a moment that anyone stopped to complain that his development was being harmed by all that winning and goal scoring or rolled their eyes at winning two meaningless state youth championships….

Maybe if soccer was more popular in this country, we could in enjoy the ride more…relies that there is and should be room for a little glory…that winning or losing has little to nothing to do with development…

I relies I am probably arguing the case too far in the other direction…I don’t mean too…I relies we are not a Brazil, nor likely to be like a Brazil anytime soon…I just think we need more balance in this whole winning vs development dichotomy we got going in Youth Soccer…

1goldeneagle repped this.
  7. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    The overuse of the word "development" is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to soccer, though I may be more sensitive to it since I live in an area flooded with clubs and they all use it as their mantra. When parents start discussing tryout season, my eyes glaze over as they discuss how club ABC is so committed to player development while club XYZ says they are, but really aren't. I think that trying to be too "different" from the other popular sports is ultimately counterproductive to soccer's long-term growth and our ability to consistently produce world class players. The ever shifting leagues, divisions, etc. is just one example.

mwulf67 repped this.
  8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Every club says they're committed to development, while the others are focused on winning.

Every club says they're emphasizing skills, while the others are emphasizing athleticism.

So where are the "others"?

9. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The ones your kid doesn’t play for….

Mr Martin and Beau Dure repped this.
  10. Practicemakesperfect

Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 8, 2017