Division 3 - 2016

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Aug 5, 2016.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right and, according to the pertinent news article, Amherst is the site for the sectional semi-finals, with Rutgers-Newark and SUNY Oneonta playing the second game and the winners playing on Sunday. So, women at Brandeis and men at Amherst.

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #77 CoachJon, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    I appreciate the discussion of the Brandeis Sectional and would like to add that there are some great matchups on Saturday.

Williams vs. Johns Hopkins - both are finesse teams; I believe Meg Van de Loo is more of a game changer than Audrey Thomas, Krite Kirshe, or Kristina Alvarado. HOWEVER Williams is defending national champion and knows what it takes to win this time of year and is hosting, to boot. I think the Ephs get to play on Sunday
    Messiah vs. Middlebury - Middlebury beat a very good Stevens team by playing team defense and countering effectively; I think Messiah is just too good to not win this one.
    Thomas More vs. Chicago - Thomas More is at the top nationally both offensively and defensively - I don't know them, but my thinking is they will overcome an excellent Chicago team in Wisconsin.
    UW Whitewater vs. Pomona Pitzer. UWW is home and P-P is coming east from SoCal; both teams operate outside the strongest leagues and the cast of usual suspects. I don't know them, but I guess either one could take this game; "home cooking" will probably be the difference.
    PSU-Berks vs. Trinity (TX). A clash of irresistible forces with no immovable objects in the way. Trinity is home. This one could be a 6-4 game. It is hard to beat a Texan in Texas.
    WashU vs. Hardin Simmons. Two quality teams from two strong programs. Even though he game is in Texas, I'm guessing WashU's Katie Chandler will be the difference maker in this one, backed up by GK Lizzy Crist.
    Amherst vs. William Smith. I really really liked Hayley Roy of Amherst, but I think William Smith is a deeper team, spreads scoring around nicely and applies intense pressure from front to back. Please watch WS's Kara Shue; she is coming off a mediocre game vs. Trinity (CT), and it won't happen twice in a row. She is not a power player like Meg Van de Loo, Destinie Graves, Raba Nassif, or even Marisa Weaver, but she plays a damn good game of soccer.
    Brandeis vs. McDaniel at Brandeis. Brandeis plays in the UAA , has a strong opponent almost every week, and is home. McDaniel is in a strong Centennial Conference and regularly faces strong non-conference foes like Messiah. I'm sure it will be a battle and I favor Brandeis to emerge on top.

Fitballer, cpthomas and SoccerSwattie repped this.
  3. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I noticed today that Pomona leads all teams in goals scored. Not sure if they have faced weak defenses or if this portends something more for their team in the tournament.

8/16 teams have recorded back-to-back shutout wins...

I have watched Williams and JHU...I would give the edge to JHU...I think the Hopkins backline can contain KA and she does not have as much help as she did last season IMHO...

CoachJon repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WashU's Lizzy Crist (Sr., Wayzata, MN) does it again! 3 saves in KFTPM! WashU advances 2-1 on Kicks after a 0-0, 2OT game.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomona Pitzer 3-0 over Wisconsin Whitewater.

"It was a freezing overcast 34 degree day with steady 20 mph wind gusting up to 35 mph on Saturday in Wisconsin." (From the Thomas More game report).

So the Pomona Pitzer team from Southern California trounced the home town Wisconsinites! Who woulda guessed?
    @SoccerSwattie would have.

PP Goals in the 57th, 67th, and 80th minutes.

Shots
    PP: 6 + 15 =21 (13)
    UWW: 2 +4 = 6 (3)
    Corner Kicks
    PP: 0 + 5 = 5
    UWW: 2 + 3 = 5

SoccerSwattie and Fitballer repped this.
  6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So, with Wisconsin-Whitewater and Penn St-Berks knocked out, the hopes of the state-school fans are crushed! Which 50K private school will win it again this year?
    Hard to believe there won't be a William in the name.

Funny how the big State schools dominate in D1 but most of these D3 kids wouldn't give the #1 team in Division I a 2nd thought. For another thread perhaps.
    Thanks CoachJon for bringing this thread 'up'.

SoccerSwattie, CoachJon and Fitballer repped this.
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow's Games (from D3Soccer.com)
    Times are Eastern, Ranks are NSCAA Nov. 8
    For links to video streams go to home team web site.​

Away………………………..…..Home…………………….….. Time ………Place
    No. 1 William Smith………No. 23 Brandeis……….... 1:00 PM – at Brandeis
    No. 8 Washington U………No. 2 Trinity (Texas)….. 2:00 PM - at Trinity (TX)
    No. 6 Messiah……………….No. 3 Williams………….…1:00 PM – at Williams
    No. 18 Pomona-Pitzer…...No. 11 Chicago…………..…2:00 PM - at Wisconsin Whitewater

In Whitewater, WI, the overnight low is expected to be 23 F with a chance of snow; and Sunday is expected to be overcast with a high of 38 F.

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
    In the rooms of her ice-water mansion
    Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
    The islands and bays are for sportsmen
    And farther below Lake Ontario
    Takes in what Lake Erie can send her
    And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
    With the gales of November remembered.

- Gordon Lightfoot.

cpthomas, SoccerSwattie and Fitballer repped this.
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Reports from Saturday's Sweet 16

http://ephsports.williams.edu/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/20161119oc3tbe
    (Hopkins' defense let them down)​

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/20161119uqyp84
    (Lizzy Crist channels 2015, when she made 3 saves in KFTPM to lift WashU past Messiah into the final game)​

http://gomessiah.com/news/2016/11/1...ough-in-second-half-to-get-past-panthers.aspx
    (3 second half goals, to win 3-0, à la Pomona Pitzer, one by Marisa Weaver.)​

http://www.hwsathletics.com/news/20...-battle-back-for-4-2-win-over-13-amherst.aspx
    (WS’ Kara Shue does Kara Shue things, getting two assists)​

http://www.trinitytigers.com/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/161119_wsoc_psub
    (The Barn Burner didn’t happen – 0-0 at half; 2-0 final)​

http://www.brandeisjudges.com/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/20161119kfgjt0
    (Brandeis will face William Smith on Sunday. Last year in the sweet 16, Brandies lost at WS 1-0 in 1 OT)​

http://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/20161119wsdfac
    (The Windy City team triumphs in the cold and wind)​

http://www.sagehens.com/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/20161119rjwxv6
    (17-1-3 Pomona Pitzer’s 3 draws were 0-0,1-1, and 0-0 all in 2OT. They won one 20T game 1-0 and just shut out WI-WW. Sagehens Play Defense.)​

SoccerSwattie and Fitballer repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 CoachJon, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    WS-Brandeis 24:00 left in first half. I'm going on record. The Brandeis surface is too damn hard.

What I get for posting angry? - I almost missed WS's first goal.

Fitballer repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    First SF matchup: WashU v Brandeis, according to what I'm seeing on the interactive bracket right now. Messiah awaiting the winner of Chicago/Pomona-Pitzner

CoachJon repped this.
  11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 CoachJon, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    A few comments on games I saw some or part of.

Maroons advance over Pomona Pitzer 5-4 in six rounds of KFTPM. Block letters go up in the windows of William Rainey Harper Memorial Library on the Chicago campus: U.A.A.--S.O.C.C.E.R--R.U.L.E.S. (…. and I was getting ready to jump on the Sagehen bandwagon….) Chicago Jr. Mia Calamari ( M/F, Barrington, IL) was the best player on the field.

Except for part of the second half of the first half, Brandeis out-hustled William Smith. William Smith’s defense and goalkeeping, particularly in the box on free kicks, let the team down. William Smith's heart did not fail - scoring the equalizer with 3 seconds left in regular time to push the game to OT.

New coach at Trinity (TX), same disappointing end to the season. For the 4th year in a row high scoring Trinity leaves the tournament by being shut out. This game was played on grass in the sunshine. In the small bits I did see, WashU looked very very good.

So now it will be Messiah against the UAA in the final four. This is somewhat weird because the UAA does not normally have a post-season league tournament.

12. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    #87 SoccerSwattie, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    I did not appreciate how competitive UAA is!
    I think Pomona made history with their deepest run in their school's history...with a returning decent freshman class maybe they will join the top 25 for a few years...

I have not seen Brandeis play...sounds like it was a thrilling match the way it went into OT...sorry WHS did not prevail...

WashU as the Finalst from last year I imagine has to have the hunger to finish the job this time...

CoachJon repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #88 SiberianThunderT, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Remember that Messiah was knocked off by WashU last year in the semis... I'm sure they're pretty hungry too.

Not-so-fun fact from the WashU perspective: not a single WashU team has won its season since 2011. In the four years I was there, WashU teams won 6 national titles, but after the Women's XC win in 2011, the school's 19th win, WashU hasn't won anything - despite the fact they've made the final four 16 times from 2012 to present (including ongoing tournaments).
    #Stuckon19

CoachJon and SoccerSwattie repped this.
  14. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    How did they win 6 National Titles in 4 years ?

Final 4 16 times since 2012? How does that work? I am a bit slow here lol

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I think that reference was to all sports at WashU.

I don't know these teams all that well but I think I'm rooting for Brandeis. Beating William Smith is certainly something and I think they have the least experience at this level of the remaining teams. Certainly, Messiah has enough rings.

SoccerSwattie and CoachJon repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wasn't talking of just WoSo. My mention of "not a single WashU team" and "the Women's XC win in 2011" wasn't enough?

17. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Siberian T I get it now...just a little slower than I'd like to be...I re-read and I get your broader point now...

2-Timer repped this.
  18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    SoccerSwattie and CoachJon repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Messiah is always the favorite.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEMI-FINALS
    [streamed by NCAA http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2016/12/02 ]
    12/2/16 5:00 pm ET – #23 Brandeis vs. #8 WashU
    12/2/16 7:30 pm ET – #6 Messiah vs. #11 Chicago​

PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS

UAA teams play each other once.
    • Brandeis played Chicago and WashU on the road back-to-back and lost both.
    • At home, WashU beat both Brandeis and Chicago.
    • Chicago beat Brandeis and lost to WashU.
    10/14/16 at Chicago.......Chicago 2 - Brandeis 1
    10/16/16 at WashU........WashU 2 - Brandeis 0
    11/5/16 at WashU...........WashU 1 – Chicago 0, OT​

Messiah did not play any UAA teams; they had 2 opponents in common with Brandeis.
    Messiah did not have common opponents with either Chicago or WashU.
    • Brandeis beat both McDaniel and William Smith.
    • Messiah beat McDaniel and lost to William Smith.
    9-10-16 at Messiah.........Messiah 0 - William Smith 2
    10-8-16 at McDaniel.......Messiah 1 – McDaniel 0; 2OT
    11-19-16 at Brandeis.......Brandeis 1 – McDaniel 0
    11-20-16 at Brandeis......Brandeis 4 – William Smith 3; 1OT
    Messiah has the best differential in Goals per Game and Goals Against Average
    • Messiah......3.30 gpg - 0.35 gaa
    • Chicago.......2.82 gpg - 0.40 gaa
    • WashU........2.55 gpg - 0.26 gaa
    • Brandeis......2.13 gpg - 0.58 gaa

21. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Coach J thanks for the great as always analysis. FWIW, I have seen McDaniel play and from what I remember they played direct without much possession. They did impress me the way their forwards worked hard to pressure their opponent's back lines however, their direct style of play is tough to execute against a solid/competent/skilled possession oriented team. I want to watch some videotape before I make any picks. I am tempted to take WashU and Chicago for the finals.

Fitballer repped this.
  22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I decided to look it up just for fun. Annual Tuition and Fees only (not room,board, books, etc.):
    Chicago - $52,491
    Washington - 51,282
    Brandeis - 51,245
    Messiah - 33,180

So, I'm now rooting for Messiah as the "cheap school" in the Final Four!

Gilmoy and SoccerSwattie repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Research. One of my professors once told me. "They don't know anything more at Stanford than they do at Washington State."
    OTOH, with respect to high costs of D3 schools, a lot of D3 schools are outstanding: On the Forbes List of Best Colleges 2016: 5 of the Top 10 and 10 of the Top 25 are D3 schools.
    http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/#5cddcda84f28

Chicago #20
    Washington #60
    Brandeis #74
    Messiah #372

Fitballer repped this.
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 CoachJon, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    My Final Four Preview

Messiah is the strongest team in the final four and probably will win the championship. Messiah has won 19 straight since the September 10 game they lost when William Smith crushed the Falcon offense, allowing only two shots all game. They will want to get revenge for last year’s semifinal elimination.

I will be pulling for WashU to win it all. They have a strong chance: after all, they know Messiah from last year’s semifinal and got past them to the championship game; and this year the Bears have the most clutch goalkeeper, best GAA, and second best GPG in the final four; and they have sisters in the starting 11 (Lizzy and Maggie Crist).

My Comments on final four Goalkeeping, Scoring Threats, Experience, and Players:

GOALKEEPING

SchoolKeeper Class Hometown 2016 Games Career Minutes
    Brandeis Alexis Grossman SR Syosset, NY 234768
    WashU Lizzy Crist SR Wayzata, Mn215156
    Chicago Katie Donovan FYNew Canaan, CT221895
    Messiah Sara Yunez JR Dillsburg, PA232375

Crist is the most experienced, and saved WashU’s tournament by stopping four KFTPM in the 2015 semifinal and three KFTPM in the 2016 sweet sixteen. Messiah JR Yunez started her first game in 2016 because from 2012-2015, Audra Larson started all 97 of Messiah’s games. Chicago FY Donovan beat out last year’s full time starter Piper Mik to start the season between the pipes.

SCORING THREATS

TeamTop ScorerPointsPercent of Team PointsNo. Players 10 Pts or moreTeam GPG
    BrandeisLea McDaniel, SR2720.0%62.13
    WashUKatie Chandler, SR2415.3%72.55
    ChicagoJenna McKinney, SO3620.3%62.82
    MessiahMarisa Weaver, SR5726.1%83.30

Messiah has the single greatest scoring threat AND the largest number of other scorers. Messiah has the best goals per game.

EXPERIENCE

Messiah and WashU were in last year’s semifinal, and their seniors have all been in the NCAA tournament 4 times. Going this far in the tournament, both Chicago and Brandeis are in uncharted territory.

PLAYERS

These players are 2016 NSCAA All-American Players
    http://www.nscaa.com/web/web/News/Articles/December_2016/NSCAA_Reveal.aspx

Brandeis
    Michaela Friedman, SR, Port Jefferson, NY....... 3rd team-D

Chicago
    Jenna McKinney, SO, Tampa, FL.........................1st team-M
    Mia Calamari, JR, Barrington, IL.........................3rd team-M

WashU
    Lizzy Crist, SR, Wayzata, MN................................1st team-GK
    Maggie Crist, SO, Wayzata, MN............................1st team-M
    Katie Chandler, SR, Fall City, WA.........................3rd team-F

Messiah
    Marisa Weaver, SR, Carlisle, PA.............................1st team-F
    Kayla Deckert, SR, West Simsbury, CT..................1st team- D

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm gonna be in a meeting, then at dinner while these games are being played... Hey @Gilmoy , might you grace this thread with your PBP?