Division 3 - 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Aug 29, 2014.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL Draft is next Friday 1/16/14. The list of players who signed up was posted today:
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/home/855623.html

I counted 3 non-Division I players on the list:

Vicky Saravia, M/F for D2 St. Thomas Aquinas College (Sparkill, NY). She is from Haverstraw, NY, started all 9 of games she played in during the 15 games this season (injury?) and had 2 goals and no assists.

Deandra Turchi, D/M for D3 Rowan University (Glassboro, NJ). She is from Turnersville, NJ. Started all 19 of the games this season and had 5 goals and 1 assist. NSCAA All-Region 2nd Team, NJAC All Conference 1st Team, NJAC Midfielder of the Year.

Claudia Saucedo, F for NAIA William Carey University (Hattiesburg, MS), She is from Miami, FL. She started all 22 games this season and had 21 goals and 10 assists. NAIA 3rd Team All-American.

I would think that more of the motivated players not in D1 would put thier name on the list, so they would at least be eligible to catch on as a try-out or reserve team player for a team near their home. I don't see any down side.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The list is only preliminary. The deadline for putting your name in is January 14.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I know a couple players not on that list who will be in the mix.

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear it - I will keep my eyes peeled.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 CoachJon, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Six more non-D1 players have put their names on the list. I have only seen Dessi Dupuy and Hannah Kronick play, and Kronick strikes me as a "pro's pro" in her approach to the game and work on the field. Both are very good. I hope that there is room in the NWSL for a non D1 player.

Gabrielle Brodie, M/F for D2 Newberry College (Newberry, SC ). She is from Rolleston, Canterbury, New Zealand. She played in all 19 games this season, started 17, and had 8 goals and 5 assists. Was names ECAC conference first team all star.

Lauren Duncan, GK for D2 West Virginia Wesleyan College (Buckhannon, WV ). She is from Sugar Hill, GA. Started all 21 games, had a 0.47 GAA and earned 10 shutouts. Was named to NSCAA Division II All-Atlantic Region first team.

Dessi Dupuy, F for D3 Lynchburg College (Lynchburg, VA). She is from Lynchburg, as well. Started all 28 games for National Champion Lynchburg and had 28 goals and 10 assists. NSCAA D3 Second Team All-American.

Hannah Kronick F for D3 Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD). She is from Westfield, NJ. Started all 25 games and had 17 goals and 7 assists. 3-time NSCAA D3 All-American (first team 2x).

Jade Ovendale, F for NAIA University of Arts & Sciences Oklahoma (Chickasha, OK). She is from Wisbech, England. Started all 20 games and had 32 goals and 10 assists. NAIA All-America Honorable Mention.

Ayaki Shinada, D/M for NAIA Lindsey Wilson College (Columbia, KY). She is from Tokyo, Japan. Started 15 of the 24 games for the 2014 NAIA National Champions, scoring 13 goals and making 5 assists.

cpthomas repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon, thanks for all your D III work. It's great to hear from a real women's soccer lover.

Tommy Collins repped this.
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome, it has been / is my pleasure.

Thank you, and thank you for reading and posting!

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hannah Kronick (Johns Hopkins) is in preseason camp with the Washington Spirit as an invitee. Jade Seabrook (Navy) - not D3, I know - is also there as an invitee. I mention Seabrook because I want to see how combining pro soccer and her military commitment will play out.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two other names I recognize on NWSL pre-season rosters are Claudia Saucedo from NAIA William Carey with the Houston Dash and Lillie Toaspern from D3 WashU with the Chicago Red Stars.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ayaki Shinada from NAIA Lindsey Wilson College is in camp with the Portland Thorns.