Dispelling a monstrous myth: The European/South American Cup WAS a friendly

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Santista1962, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    When there is so much stupid lurking around, one has to do something about it.

Kind of like Galileo v the Cburch.

Everyone from the dumbest and stupidest of peasant to the Pope wanted him dead...but they couldn't kill him, even when he snucked his work out to the Netherlands where it eventually spread...

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You really have no idea, do you?

They didn't reject the FA Cup, nor did they want to play in the first FCWC, let alone instead of the FA Cup (which even now is still considered a big prize in England, even if not as much as it used to be).

They entered because of FIFA/FA politics, when England were bidding for the 2006 tournament and it was thought it would go down badly if an English club snubbed FIFA's new tournament.

They didn't want to go.

3. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, but you seem to be confused about which side of that battle your are on.

Try and grasp the difference between regarding something as a de facto world championship, and stating that it was an official one.

I mean, can you actually point to anyone saying the old one was an official world championship?

You are not Galileo. Your comments about the old tournament not being a true world championship are not being regarded as heresy. Pointing out that the sun does not revolve around the earth to people who didn't believe that anyway does not make you insightful.

4. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Which is why I said "regardless of the reasons behind it..."

I am well aware of the motivations behind the participation in the first edition.

It still doesn't change the fact that Manchester United turned its back on the FA Cup, a useless competition that can't justify its existence or even state a purpose, to dispute a tournament that has a purpose and justification for its existence.

Besides, I never bought that whole "it would go down badly if an English club snubbed FIFA's new tournament" excuse; it simply doesn't fit.

If anything, it seemed it was more the other way around. By that, I mean the English FA arrogantly thought that by having its club participate in it, FIFA will bend over backwards and give England the 2006 WC.

Kind of how certain English players (like Beckham and co.) went to the Caribbean Islands as "advisors", on behalf of the English FA, thinking that Jack Warner and his CONCACAF buddies were just going to vote for the English 2018 bid because of the mere presence of some English lads on their lands...

The English should know, more than almost everyone, that 'supposed' honors aren't commodities.

Seeing that, and the aftermath, I can say with full confidence that was most likely the case in 2000.

I can point out people who believe the earth is merely 10 thousand years old and, even more incredible, that the sun revolves around the earth. Stupidity is all around. Discerning the stupidity, instead of listening to a million idiots claiming a lie is true, is the logical thing to do.

Because if we want to get down to it, the Interamerican Cup could be regarded as the "de facto world championship" since the CONCACAF champion has beaten the European/South American Cup winner AFTER the South American side beaten their European counterpart.

Where does that leave the European Cup now that you know that? (which was going to shit anyway in the late 70s and early 80s)

And yes: the CONMEBOL winner did took the editions they lost seriously. As a matter of fact, Estudiantes declined to participate anymore after 1969 after seeing how close they came to lose to Mexican side Toluca.

They stated the official reasons for declining were "finances".

And yes: my comments are being treated as heresy despite the obviousness of the truth, as well as the evidence.

That makes me more insightful than people who believe lies and myths.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already had to delete a personal attack by you directed at another poster. If you want this thread kept open then you'll have to dial back the insults.

6. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well it does change that "fact" from being a "fact" into the exact opposite. They were coerced into it, against their will.

The went willingly in the same way that people willingly hand over their money and valuables to muggers when they pull a knife on them.

...a competition which means more to people in England, even now, than either incarnation of the "world championship"

You can choose to not believe that if you wish, despite evidence to the contrary. If only I could think of a suitable analogy for such a stance.

well, making money for FIFA was most likely the original motivation, and if that floats your boat, then so be it.

Well, it doesn't fit in with your very narrow way of thinking, that's true. But people who are actual able to deal in facts, recorded observations and the such like, will know that it fits perfectly. Again, if only there was a suitable analogy for people being informed that the ideas are incorrect, but they refuse to believe anyway. There must be a historical one somewhere.

If you wish to pontificate on such matters, then that's your opinion.

But it wasn't though, was it?

And how could it have been, even theoretically, when it regularly involved the team that lost the intercontinental final?

And you base that premise on what exactly?

I think you are confusing heresy with boring.

7. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    That is BS. Were they convinced? Yes. Coerced? Stop exaggerating.

They can get other clubs to join up and create an organization meant to usurp a world federation but they couldn't do anything to get out of playing a two-week tournament?!

For crying out loud, the excuses are getting ridiculous...

It still doesn't change the fact that the competition serves no purpose and can't justify its own existence.

It is given importance because it is a English tournament. Even more bizarre is that League Cup which is even more useless.

I am aware that anything foreign, that isn't properly touched by the British, is left and cast aside as "trash". The British have a long history to do those tendencies. Even the World Cup went through it.

Hell! Most likely, if England wouldn't have been handed the WC in 1966 the same attitude given to the IC, as flawed as it is, would be given to the WC as well.

Needless to say, that WC damaged the sport forever and even some of your own players wished they would have never won it. It almost destroyed the sport itself.

Funny how you ignored the rest but whatever. I believe the truth as I see it. It isn't the first time something like that has been pulled, after all.

I am also aware that there was legitimate reasons as to why competitions like the IC were given low importance.

After all, we were the first ones to do so with Europeans and the rest of South America.

But in less than a decade after the happenings, that became an excuse for a culture, afraid of failure and afraid of finding out (once again) that their pragmatic ways aren't the best, to be found out for what it is.

Do you even know what a "Football Slave" is?

What tournament isn't around to make money?

What kind of business model allows itself to replicate other editions if no money is being made?

Look at the pot calling the kettle black...either that or you are far more naive than I thought.

Sorry, sir, but the narrow minded approach is being used by you.

Hell, the most perplexing part about this post is that I don't even think you know your own history.

I only tell it how it happened.

Funny how you ignored the rest but whatever. I believe the truth as I see it. It isn't the first time something like that has been pulled, after all.

And how could it have been, even theoretically, when it regularly involved the team that lost the intercontinental final?[/quote]

Depends. In Mexico, America defeated Boca Juniors, the same one who dismantled the European Cup runner-up by a very wide scoreline.

They actually bidded to dispute the IC but the organizers said no.

And the IA wasn't a tournament disputed by the losers of the IC. It was a tournament that was no different than the IC: a competition between two confederations, except it was CONCACAF v CONMEBOL. The same Nacional that beat Nottingham Forest in 1980 was comprehensively beaten by UNAM Pumas less than a month later.

Again: where does that put the European Cup champion in that case?

By watching videos and reading reports.

As I have said: I have gone back, in football, all the way until the 1920s reading numerous sources and watching as much as I can on YouTube, Google, etc.

The 1979 European Cup final is, by far, the worst match I have ever seen. The quality seen is worthy of a third-division match in Bolivia. Ohers, like in 1977, 1978 and 1981, made it very clear that the quality of the European Cup dropped substantially after that great Bayern Munchen from the 70s largely retired.

It made it very clear as to why a few European leagues started heavily importing foreigners that decade, something not seen often before. The Italian success of 1982 simply made them the first major league to do so.

As I have said: you don't even know your own history. Much less the history of your premier continental club competition.

The truth is often found boring. It can't be twisted since it relies mostly on memory.

Memory, like fire, is radiant and immutable.

Lies are fun. They can be shaped by anyone which is what history is. History serves only those who seek to control it, those who douse the flame of memory in order to put out the dangerous fire of truth.

8. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were coerced. They didn't want to go.

I can clearly remember the incident because I live in England where it was a big story, and I can recall what was going on and being said at the time.

You are basing your opinion on what you want to believe, and nothing else.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...eds-1999-FA-Cup-withdrawal-was-a-mistake.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/381662.stm
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-united-withdraw-from-fa-cup-1103601.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-united-prepare-to-pull-out-of-fa-cup-1103211.html

that was just page 1 of quick google search, backing up what I already knew.

If you having anything at all suggesting Manchester United wanted to take part, please share, or shut up on this point.

It's given importance because it's the oldest tournament in the world, and the one that until quite recently, was the club trophy that every English player wanted to win more than any other.

Just because you don't understand how that can be true, doesn't make it untrue. You just have no idea about what's important to people here. Just because the cup in Brazil is (probably) a pointless nonentity, you assume the same must be true elsewhere.

In this alternate universe of yours, does the sun go round the earth perhaps?

Please tell me who these England players are who've said they wished they'd never won it, or how that tournament "almost destroyed the sport"?

The overwhelming majority of sport that is played around the world, in all sports, is played for the love of the game, not to make money - usually because there's no money to be made.

And that really is the problem. You set up your opinion as fact and don't listen to a word anyone says. Even the word of people who have the first hand knowledge of cultures and experiences you completely lack.

You are confusing poor finals with a poor standard of football, at a time when negativity in general play was very common.

Some poor finals is hardly indicative of the whole competition "going to shit".

Watching some clips on youtube is a dreadful way to gain any real insight. You might as well claim to be an expert of something because you've read a wikipedia page.

But you aren't using your memory of events. You are looking at youtube and goodle.

And you have no memories of the events/eras you are describing.

Lovely mixing of metaphors etc, but it still comes down to you hailing memory as something that trumps all, while saying that people who can remember events first hand are wrong, and you, who have no memory of events, are right.

Boiling it all down...

Is anyone here, or anywhere in any significant numbers, saying the old IC was anything other than an unofficial world title?

My guess...No.

Do you have any first hand experience of how the FA Cup has traditionally been viewed in England?

My guess...No.

Do you have any first hand experience of how the question of Man Utd playing in the FIFA WCC instead of the FA Cup was viewed here, or any evidennce at all that they wanted to play in the WCC?

My guess...No.

Do you have any first hand experience of the European Cup in late 70s and early 80s being regarded as "going to shit"?

My guess...No.

Kind of a common theme.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :cautious:

Great example. I wonder if you have ever seen a third-division match in Bolivia.
    If you ever had ?.
    You'd be the first one in history to achieve that, as there is no third division in Bolivia.

:D

oh ......., this must be a lie, too
    :rolleyes:

10. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gee, Santista is burying himself deeper with each new comment.

What surprises me is that he is a fan of Santos. This kind of bashing against the Intercontinental Cup usually comes from Internacional and Corinthians fans, because they can say they won a trophy with "FIFA approval", a "real world trophy", unlike the trophies from their arch-rivals, like Grêmio, São Paulo, etc.

On the other hand, he always wanted brazilian clubs to pull out of Libertadores because he considers other S.Americans to be savages. Since other S.American countries have not won the FIFA World Clup Cup championship yet, that puts Brazil ahead, so it suits him, even though Santos did not win it.

Sandinista repped this.
  11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    just a simple suggestion :

Try to find out a little more about Galileo and his confrontation with the church, before posting things about the man. All what, some in the church, wanted those years, was that he stop writting and publishing parts of his work (never to kill him). At the time being (during his last 8 or 9 years of life, as he lived 77 years), he was sentenced by the holly inquisition (whom during his whole trial, treated the man with all sorts of honour and decency, as he never faced any sort of torture which is only a popular myth, related to him), to pass time in jail, but inmediately afterwards his sentence was revoked to stay within the boundries of his own house, in Florenze, where he did whatever he wanted to do, as he had lots of admirers even within the same church of those times, including among them, the Pope Urbano VIII (whom also was a great friend of Galileo, even before becoming Pope), whom was the one responsible for the switch of place for his imprisionment. Galileo, during his captivity, had visitors, as he was allowed to receive whom ever he wanted in his home and through them, is how he was afterwards, published elsewhere.
    ;)

blacksun repped this.
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, he's completely lost his plot. I thought he had already made a fool of himself countless times in the Conmebol threads, but to pompously compare himself to Galileo has to be a new low, even for Santista. :D

13. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Again...they can get other clubs to join up and create an organization meant to usurp a world federation but they couldn't do anything to get out of playing a two-week tournament?!

Cry me a river. If they really didn't want to go, they wouldn't have.

But please keep going...you are merely confirming what I know about British culture. :D

It is given importance because it is British, that's it.

Again: if England, for some reason, would have never been given the WC in 1966, the WC itself would have been treated the same way.

If you can't see that, then you are worse than I though....

Wow...you really know nothing, do you? :eek:

There is nothing worse anyone can do than talk about things they don't know. If I were you, I would stop digging. You clearly lack even the most basic information on the matter.

Lol even babies aren't this naive.

Go offer the Africans in the Premier League the average salary they would get in their home nations and watch all of them leave immediately lol:laugh:

You're fresh lmfao you're really fresh!

I have no opinions. I merely state what I see and there are certain people I will never listen to, period.

I would never marry a french woman; if a culture and nation bans and prohibits paternity tests, that is all I need to know about the type of women you will come across a certain land. If a man does not have the common sense to realize something that obvious, he deserves everything and anything he goes through.

I would never take anything a British say about their kingdom or any other nation seriously; when I see their own newspapers literally become bashing pages of anything foreign, it really brings into question their existence. The DailyMail should just be renamed "American Bashing Site"...

Anyway, go watch any of the banal encounters of the European Cup during that time, then.

Really: the quality if worthy of that of Bolivia's third division.

I watch entire matches by the way. There are numerous ways to do so.

BTW, I made the wikipedia pages (as well as others around in Google and whatnot).

Supported by heavy evidence, of course.

Actually, yes. As a matter of fact, that is the reason I started the thread (as well as others around the world in different languages).

Yes. I suspect many times more than you.

There are none so blind as those who will not see

Yes, I have. Apparently, you do not.

The low quality displayed in it was the catalyst that started the heavey importation of foreigners in the 1980s, with the Italians becoming the first to do so.

[​IMG]

Whatever...

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Santista, you have become a ranting bufoon on this thread, as someone else slyly suggested the equivalent of a messianic loon with a megaphone.

The CWC is merely a FIFA confection to make money, much the same as the Confederations Cup. In fact the whole premise is a contradictory tenet: pitting the winners of each continental competion against one another, fair enough, but then what is the champion club of the host country doing there, when they usually went out in the early stages of their continental competition? Absurd just like your posts.

The FIFA World Cup is actually the only true world competition that stands legit with its own qualification process irrespective of other competitions: the Copa America 01 winner failed to qualify to WC02, the Euro 04 winner failed to qualify to WC06, the CAF 06 winner failed to qualify to WC06.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are not willing to engage your fellow posters' arguments with the same respect they are giving yours, then I don't see any point in leaving the thread open.

I'll consult with the other mods about this decision, but in the meantime, I'm taking your soapbox away.