Dispelling a monstrous myth: The European/South American Cup WAS a friendly

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Santista1962, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe you should take your own advice

And how many were claiming they it was an official world championship?

That is true.

What's not clear is who exactly was supposed to be insisting they did?

What's even less clear is why you appear to be outraged about this non-issue.

I mean, it was a glorified friendly, treated as an unofficial "world championship" between the two biggest confederations. Even without official status, it's only natural winners would be pleased about winning it, even if there does seem to be more importance attached to it in South America.

It's has no more prestige than in the past. A friendlier time slot may attract more viewers in Europe, but that's about it.

It's an annual tournament, so you'd expect so.

s7kru repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Penarol beat them fair and square, with Spencer giving one of the great performances in Libertadores history. There are still comments to this day that Pele pulled out of that one match because he knew Spencer was in better form and would outplay him. Of course, that would become a pattern for him later on with the NT as well.

River Plate of the 50s are rightfully considered one of the best sides of all time, and held in higher status than any Brazilian club outside of possibly the Santos of Pele.

3. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Go watch those matches or, better yet, read them. Those were a bunch of animals.

As far as River Plate of the 50s being "the best side of all times"...I seriously doubt they were even the best in Argentina.

Besides, the club didn't do jack worth noticing. Seems more like empty banter...

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

From Santos FC official website:

[​IMG]

I wonder if perhaps Santista1962 can be kind enough to translate to us from the Portuguese. What does "Campeao Mundial 1962 " mean in English?

It's called FOOTBALL and Sandinista repped this.
  5. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Go read the previous posts. I am not going to repeat myself for the sake of your lazyness.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not asking you to repeat, you've already been doing that in every forum.

I'm asking you to translate. (If you can be so kind).

s7kru repped this.
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Your unhealthy adoration of all things FIFA and their (apparently) all-powerful grip on the game hardly qualifies as a "fact". It just doesn't pass the smell test. You know why? If FIFA ceases to exist tomorrow the game will continue.

And just for the record, I am not defending historical European arrogance. I am simply putting in a good word for a tournament that lasted several decades and no dusty documents signed by corrupt, self-serving old men are going to change my opinion. I try to view the world in practical terms.

There is no doubt that FIFA has an axe to grind with the Intercontinental Cup, they probably feel humiliated that despite their supposed stranglehold they couldn't wrestle this particular tournament away until 2005, as it survived even that much hyped joke that was Brazil 2000. There was no problem with the King Fahd Cup which they accepted as Confederations Cup history without blinking.

But since you are hell-bent on riding technicalities like seabiscuit, let me ask you this. If the Intercontinental Cup was such a non-event, why does even FIFA feel the need to mention it as a major accomplishment on its website?

Try to stay away from further absurd Galileo analogies and answer the question.
    Oh I understand it was messy, and FIFA had to bend quite a bit. Awkward for such a powerful body don't you think? No other FIFA tournament has a presenting partner as of today.

Let's look at 2005 name very closely. We merged:

A. FIFA Club World Championship (one edition)

with...

B. Toyota Cup (40+ years in existence)

to result in the following name...

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup

Yep, it's all one big coincidence.

You may now continue this internet equivalent of a guy standing on the street corner screaming ...errr... enlightening bypassers on the absolute truth that he discovered last night and that he simply has to share with everybody.

Pipiolo and s7kru repped this.
  8. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    [​IMG]

Just believe whatever you want...

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    What I love about this thread is the supposition that anyone actually cares about the FIFA organised jamboree that currently purports to be a "World Club Cup".

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

That's a fantastic reply to the two previous posters questions :rolleyes:

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually many fans do care.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the truth is, they care just as much, no more and no less, than they cared for the old Intercontinental cup. It's the same thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the part where Santista is either mistaken or purposely obtuse. If he lives in Brazil, it's probably the latter.

Moishe, It's called FOOTBALL and Pipiolo repped this.
  12. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Celebrating a world club title....

...and celebrating friendlies....

13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In Europe it's just another pre season friendly. lol

worms repped this.
  14. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Are you sure you are even German?

How is December "pre-friendly" when it is dead-smack in the middle of the season?

[​IMG]

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, are you sure you are even brazilian ?

Two sucesive times, it was asked to you to translate some brazilian posters, and you still haven`t translated one.
    It gives rightful doubts, that you aren`t really brazilian, as it seems you can`t translate their official language .
    ;)

Btw, FIFA is not a world "interest" institution, as it only represents those who are associated to it and whose main point of view, is their own "private" concern (they care peanuts on "public" concern, and only start taking care about any issue, if they "see" in it an opportunity to get something for themselves).

16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    o_O

Rickdog repped this.
  17. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Good thing I am spreading the good truth. We still have uneducated idiots claiming the IC and the FCWC is one and the same when FIFA has made it very clear the IC is a friendly, reaffirmed by CONMEBOL itself. Worse: some even claim FIFA had any hand in that atrociousness...

18. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002

checkmate

worms repped this.
  19. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    [​IMG]

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You're right that they're not, the IC is more prestigious.

European clubs actually cared about winning it back then. Nowadays, with the wealth that success in the CL gives them, the Club World Cup is nothing more than an annoying distraction to clubs and a venue for FIFA to safely experiment, such as goal-line technology and offside rules.

Here is a comprehensive article on the irrelevancy of this tournament, sadly brought forth by FIFA's intervention (which you somehow applaud).

http://www.soccerreportextra.com/in...e-a-brief-history-of-the-fifa-club-world-cup/

http://www.soccerreportextra.com/in...a-brief-history-of-the-fifa-club-world-cup-2/

worms repped this.
  21. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Everything you have said is a complete and utter lie.

Europeans stopped caring because the cynicism and violence more brutal than the ones dished out to Brazil in the 1966 WC by the Europeans themselves was dished out to them by Argentine and Uruguayan teams.

In short, the Europeans and Rioplatense squads are perfect for each other.

If you don't get that, too bad. It just means you're dumber than you look.

Tell me: what tournament is not a money-grabbing machine?

The author of those articles is even dumber than the ones I pulled a few posts back. Another example of semantics being used to misrepresent information...

The guy seemed far more butthurt that Manchester United turned its back on the FA Cup, a completely useless competition, to dispute the first FCWC (regardless of the reasons behind it).

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

By the time Estudiantes ruled the Libertadores with their physical play and smart counterattacking, Santos had long been beaten by an Uruguayan and then an Argentine club in years previous, so quit your pathetic whining.

Ultimately, it is not a FIFA decree but the fans and players who make a tournament relevant. Less than 1,000 Chelsea supporters traveled to last year's CWC, this from a traditional English club and says it all as far as the lack of prestige this tournament has. Compare that to the packed stadium full of English and South American supporters between Penarol and Aston Villa during the Toyota Cup final of 82, puts the meager interest in the CWC to shame.

23. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The thing is, regardless of the presence or lack of any FIFA stamp, it doesn't make sense to consider a tournament a world title when 4 of the 6 continents were excluded from the competition. AFC, CAF and CONCACAF have had continental club championships since the 60s, so it's not as if it couldn't have been done.

If you call a spade a spade, it was a contest between two continents/confederations, just like the Afro-Asian Cup or any other two-confederation competition.

24. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    [​IMG]

Go watch a match already!

There was nothing "intelligent" or "smart" about that bunch of "animals" you called a "team with 'mystica'"...they were neanderthals and savages fit to spend the rest of their lives in a zoo with the gorillas.

As for the rest, go learn how to read and start from post 1. The answers are there.

So there is intelligent life in BS...

Congratulations, sir! You managed to get what most of the posters here find it impossible to comprehend!

You are mostly right about everything except one thing: entries from the other confederations weren't excluded; they were rejected.

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think what most most find difficult to comprehend is your rabid fixation on the issue.

Bada Bing repped this.