Dispatch 9/2 - Crew focusing on defense

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by AndrewGK, Sep 2, 2002.

1. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    defense may not be a bad idea, cause it seems like everytime we score a goal, the opposition scores one within the next five minutes.

but this doesn't mean we should do the "bunker down" theory, either.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I honestly don't believe that place was packed to full capacity. I know maybe all the tickets were almost sold but it wasn't full.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were there really 24,422 people there? Probably not. But at the US games, they set up the aux. press boxes which further cramped the corner areas.

Many of the people at the game were first timers. I'd imagine a first timer to the stadium and a soccer game would probably walk around some.

They really have to get rid of the yellow seats. In a full (or almost full) stadium, the yellow seats really stick out.

But there were more people there than the 19K that came for DC.

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I won't deny it was packed. But there was alot of open spaces.

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    There always are a lot of open spaces. The one thing I noticed is that the Crew actually sold the upper deck seats in the corners...and there were more people than normal surrounding the perimeter...the announced crowd seemed about right...

In other words, if the railings were not there, people would have to sit in their seats and the stands would indeed be full.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the other question. Do they stand there the whole game, or do they watch a few minutes and move on?

I'm thinking some, or most of them, sit in their seats for the game, but watch a little bit from the railings as they're going to get food or whatever...

8. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I would say it's both. Man times I'll watch from the railing for a few minutes while going to/from concessions. On Saturday, both my son and I, stood for the whole game at the railing.

9. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I know of both...in fact, there's more than a few people that I know who will move to the opposite side of the ground at halftime so they will move a closeup view of the Crew attacking the goal.