Disney buys Lucasfilm, promises Star Wars: Episode 7 in 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Matrim55, Oct 30, 2012.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's also that quality of saying cocky things but having noticeable self-doubt. Ford did that "we're fine" thing, but it was full of "we're not fine" - the "we're fine" scene in this clip seemed like it was just to lull us before doing a jump scare type thing.

Which would also be bad editing for the clip. You want that space art(?) (colossal space snake spine?) to be a surprise in the theatre. End on the "we're fine" in the preview to show how talented and self-assured Han is.

Belgian guy repped this.
  2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #727 Semblance17, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    I count myself among a vast contingent of fans who are extraordinarily disappointed that Disney couldn't have utilized an actor closer in both natural appearance and voice to Harrison Ford. For instance, one who has actually played a younger version of Harrison Ford's character in a movie already:

To be fair, I recognize that playing a younger version of a previously unknown character who also happens to be played by Harrison Ford in a few scenes of the same movie is a radically different task from playing one of Harrison Ford's two most iconic characters [with four movies of legacy] for an entire movie. So yes, an impressionist/doppelganger might not have been an automatically great choice for the long haul, but I don't think it could have hurt to have a good starting point.

Regardless of how well Ehrenreich masters Ford's mannerisms [and based on this trailer, which was supposed to help sell reluctant fans, it's kinda..."Meh"] his pipsqueak voice and lack of any real resemblance to Ford whatsoever will make his assumption of the character very hard to swallow.

If anything brings me to the theater for this movie, it will be Donald Glover's Lando Calrissian, which based on the clips in these trailers alone seems to be an infinitely better casting. Since I also believe I'm not alone in that respect, I think giving him a line in these trailers might have helped, although perhaps I'm only being optimistic that Glover mastered the voice as well as he seems to have mastered the smile. I've also considered that based on Disney's stubborn refusal to even acknowledge the existence of Billy Dee Williams' character in the sequel trilogy, it may be the last we see of Lando [in any form] on the big screen for the foreseeable future.

To summarize, I think that this movie will have two of the biggest problems that plagued the prequels:
    1) It's a backstory about a beloved character that no one really asked for or wanted, preferring to keep the character's past up to the viewer's imagination
    and
    2) The lead in those movies isn't terribly convincing in the role

3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find it, but there was a brilliantly made face facebook spoof of Disney posting the status:
    "Who wants a Han Solo standalone film?"
    and Disney commenting:
    "Yes please, it's all I've ever wanted."
    with Disney replying to the comment:
    "Say no more."

With Disney, of course, being the only person/page to "like" the status, the comment, or the reply [liking all three].

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well yes, the basic idea, the need to know more about Han Solo's past, is faulty to begin with. Part of Han's appeal is that we known little about him, at least in terms of his life prior to meeting the Skywalkers. Anything they will come up with will sell short the mystique of not knowing what exactly he got up to prior to joining the rebellion.

Semblance17, song219 and Dante repped this.
  5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean that we'll see boobies in Star Wars now??

sitruc repped this.
  8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll already be up to 10 movies in May. I think a live action Star Wars TV show is long, long overdue. Even if turns out being a disaster I think it's worth an attempt.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Are they going to bring GRRM on board? Because all of the things Kathleen Kennedy is crediting them with here are mostly GRRM's work. If anything, the writing in this latest "Game of Thrones" season suggests they aren't that great when they no longer have GRRM laying tracks for them.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Disney paid 4 billion USD for George Lucas' IP! Of course they will bleed it dry. They will squeeze the lemon dry, then package the drained and crushed lemon peel and try to sell it too.

11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is when do they start putting the Star Wars movies in the vault and selectively release them on DVD/BluRay/Digital?

Ismitje repped this.
  12. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agents of SHIELD begs to differ.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agents of SHIELD has actually been good for a while now.

Belgian guy repped this.
  14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #739 Semblance17, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    To put that in perspective, they made back half of that in their stock gains from the second Force Awakens trailer in April 2015.

15. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agents of SHIELD can hardly be considered a cautionary tale against trying to make a TV series based on a successful movie franchise. In spite of an underwhelming start, the series has made it five seasons and hasn't yet been ruled out for a sixth. Not too shabby.

luftmensch and Dante repped this.
  16. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome to your opinion, but except for that brief run of episodes when [SPOILERS]

they went into the Matrix to the world where Hydra won WWII, the show never really found much of a consistent voice or tone that came anywhere near its potential. I stuck with them as long as I could, but this whole space thing they're doing this season just feels like one big stunt without much of a payoff.

17. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but that's despite the fact that it's a resoundingly mediocre show with not-great ratings. More than once, ABC has renewed it under circumstances where other shows never would have stood a chance, largely because their Disney overlords want to keep a Marvel presence on network prime-time.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's called lemon zest.

Belgian guy repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought there might've been a Solo thread, but maybe I'm misremembering ...

20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly more comfortable with Ehrenreich's casting and slightly less comfortable with Glover's after this trailer.

It was wise to put a ten-year time gap between this movie and the beginning of the events of the original trilogy; turning the clock back a decade helps makes the recasting easier to swallow.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Was that an Indiana Jones reference at the end?

22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not an intentional reference but yes, they may have been watching Last Crusade's tank chase just before drafting that scene.

Belgian guy repped this.
  23. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I wonder why Disney is not coming up with a movie that concentrates soley on Darth Vader's endeavours pre "A New Hope"? That would really draw crowds I would speculate. Darth Vader is the most central character in the Star Wars universe yet he's not getting his own movie? Just look how he awed the crowd with his 10-minute or so appearance in "Rogue One"....

24. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that
    I am not too sure how much story arch is really left for Vader/Anakin (6+ movies and a long running cartoon)….that sliver of pre-ANH you are talking about is really just the part where he was basically pure evil…I am not sure what there is left to explore…[and that Disney would be conformable with]

25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Belgian guy, YankBastard, chad and 2 others repped this.