Disney-BamTech Deal's impact on soccer?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Roti2000, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Folks may have heard that Disney paid a billion dollars last week for a 33% stake in BamTech--the company started by Major League Baseball that powers online streaming for MLB and a number of other sports leagues.

The media reports I've seen quote Disney brass as saying we can expect a new ESPN-Branded online subscription streaming service. The service won't replicate content that is currently on the ESPN broadcast networks. The NY Times said we can expect it to show "baseball, hockey, tennis, cricket and college sports — mostly rights that are already owned by ESPN but not televised."

This is basically would include much of ESPN3 soccer programming.

Given the significant amount of soccer they show only on ESPN3, are we now going to be expected to pay additional subscription fees for stuff currently available solely on ESPN3 (Copa Mx, UEFA content, etc...)?

That seems to be the writing on the wall.

Here is a link to the NY Times article on the deal.

sitruc and EvanJ repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What hockey would they have? They don't have the NHL. I use ESPN3 mostly for college sports.

3. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I don't see this changing much for people who already access WatchESPN and ESPN3 as a result of having a cable subscription. What it looks more likely is that Disney is going to offer an ESPN3-type service as a standalone subscription for cord-cutters.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    espn has the World Cup of Hockey.