Diskrerud: Stabaek-Lillestrom 8/29 [r]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by jeffmefun, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone with any video clips? I couldn't find any easily...

2. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little more digging, and The Shin Guardian delivers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5FD_tiPug&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5FD_tiPug&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also check out the main Diskerud thread.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy should really be getting a little more recognition given what's he's doing in Norway.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    by whom? The Finns?

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US National team fans

7. ISSfan

ISSfan Member

Jun 17, 2001
    New York City
    Has Diskerud committed to US national team? Or is there still a chance he will decide to rep Norway? I know he has played for both at the youth level.

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He has posted in his main thread personally that he'd be honored to get a call-up for us. Not sure how he feels about Norway but yeah, the way he has posted seems to infer that he wants to play for us.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His name gets thrown around. It's just that he plays a position that is well-covered at the moment. If he were doing what he's doing, but as a defender, people would be freaking out.

He played at the U-20 World Cup for the US, so he is provisionally cap-tied to us. If he chooses to play for Norway, he'll have to file a one-time permanent switch with FIFA (he can do this at any time until he appears in an official US match -- WCQ or Gold Cup).

He hasn't made any noises about switching and at the moment there's no reason to think he'll do so. I would expect him to be invited to the January camp and I would also expect him to be a part of our Olympic team.

10. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Disagree that we have his position covered. I'd take him as a second striker/play maker (like Ozil) any day. Our offense is so stale at the moment, we need all the help we can get, especially one who is, arguably, playing the best soccer out of all our players at the moment (alongside Holden).

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take a guy like Ozil any day, too, but Mix isn't as good as he is.

Diskerud is a good prospect and it's very promising to see a guy have this kind of a season at age 19. At the same time, we have to remember that it's only the Norwegian league. Take a peek at how Norwegian clubs have done in Europe over the last few years. It's not pretty.

I think Diskerud has the potential to contribute to our NT, but he isn't going to be an overnight phenom. He'll have to grow into it, especially because we have a logjam in central midfield and we still have Dempsey and Donovan holding down the flanks.

He'll get a chance to make a name for himself at the Olympics. Hopefully at the January camp, too.

12. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss the gameday thread for this? If so - apologies - I did check.

I included him as a YA due to past appearances for US YNT.

13. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to add to this, here is what he told YA last summer:

"I am a Norwegian-American," he explains. "I would love to play for both countries, but I can't. I have have said first come - first served, in order to let fate take control, I guess. My agent has informed my club and the Norwegian Federation of my decision, and I only hope that I can be of use to Rongen and the US team."

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4918

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, as far as I can tell, no one made a gameday thread, but this game and goal was discussed in the general Mix thread.

15. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    There is that dude in germany......

16. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

who? mix can certainly be a great addition to the nat. he's more of an attacking midfielder/playmaker/withdrawn striker. we don't currently have any good one at this position. landon can play there but then we'll lose a lethal right mf.

17. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not withdrawn striker, but he may have to compete with Holden for A-mid over the next cycle.