Dish Network Subscribers: Let 'em know your frustration

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wjarrettc, Jan 10, 2003.

1. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dish network subscribers:

If you're as frustrated with Dish Network not offering the USA vs. Cananda match on PPV as I am, please let them know about it.

This does not seem to be an isolated case but a trend. They have also snubbed the U20's as well as the English FA Cup.

Contact them and let them know that this is unacceptable!

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/contact_us/index.asp
    1-800-333-3474

Here's a copy of the email I sent to the PPV programming director:

Dear PPV programming content director:

I am writing to relay my frustration of the recent decline in the quality of PPV soccer programming being provided by Dish Network. Specifically, I am appalled at your decision not to carry the United States vs. Canada soccer PPV match on January 18th.

When I subscribed to Dish Network several years ago, I chose Dish Network over your competitors for the simple reason that Dish offered Fox Sports World as well as a plethora of soccer PPV programming that was unavailable anywhere else. During my time as a subscriber I have been generally happy with your service and have even recommended four others to subscribe to your service.

During the past 3 years, I estimate that I have spent somewhere around $1200 on soccer PPV content above and beyond my normal subscription fees. I am a regular subscriber to the English Premier League season package, the MLS Shootout package as well special events such as Euro 2000, Confederations Cup 1999, and numerous US National team games as well as European World Cup qualifiers.

However, in recent weeks and months, I have repeatedly seen Dish Network fail to offer soccer PPV packages that their largest competitors are offering. Specific examples include the US Men's Under-20 qualifying tournament, the English F.A. Cup, and now the USA vs. Canada international friendly.

If this rapid decay in the quality of programming content continues, I will be forced to take my almost $1500 a year (in subscription and PPV fees) to one of your competitors.

Sincerely,

William J. Campbell

2. TomJ

TomJ New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Wash. DC
    Thank god someone else on here is with me on my frustration with Dish Network. Thank you, William. I, too, switched from Directv to Dish Network for hopes of watching soccer. And it looks like Directv is now showing all soccer and Dish is not. I called Dish Networks corporate offices in Colorado and they told me that the head of programming is Michael Schwimmer and his email is Michael.Schwimmer@echostar.com. I suggest everyone who is just as upset and frustrated as me and William email this guy and let him know how you feel. The number I used is not the 1-800 number, but rather 303-723-1000. That is the corporate office number.

Upset,
    Tom Janey

3. IamtheShark

IamtheShark New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Springfield, IL
    I agree with you guys. I switched over a couple years ago when Dish offered better, cheaper soccer. They've sucked recently and no mistake. If I handn't plunked down the change for a cool tivo-type recorder unit I'd switch back. Sent a similar email.

-SJB

4. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    While you are sending that e-mail also remind them about how disappointed you were that you did not get any Midweek and Sunday regular Season MLS games on Dish but if you had DirecTV you could have seen those games.

If you are an MLS basher-fib to them to help out those of us who want to see the games.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    The irony is that many of us switched to Dish for this exact reason in the past -- two years ago, Dish was the only provider that carried every MLS game.

I've complained regularly to Echostar (Dish) about their changes in soccer availability over the past year. Good news is that I've managed to complain enough times and to the right people -- that is, I've threatened to switch BACK to DirecTV -- that every time I call I wind up with credits to my account.

6. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    I've wrote a few times also (I even wrote to thank them for covering the playoffs and to remind them that it would be great if they covered all the games). I haven't recieved any credit, but to be honest, I would rather them keep the money as long as they show more games.

Sometimes, when I read threads like this, it really makes me think that the soccer community is not active enough in vocalizing their concerns or support. Maybe we don't spend enough time writting a few e-mails or letters a year to show our support for soccer to the folks we are unhappy with (Dish right now) and the people we should be happy with (like the advertisers who support soccer) and also the politicians that we want to support Soccer with stadium funding (NJ and maybe now we should all be writting the city council in that Dallas suburb (Frisco?)). I will admit it is easier to find the gumption to write the unhappy letters than the thank you letters though.

Or maybe it is too early and I should drink more coffee instead of thinking.

7. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the Michael e-mail address.

Here's mine:

Dear Michael,

What's happened?

The reason I subscribed to the Dish Network was the great soccer coverage you offered. That's slipping--a reduced Shoot Out package (I subscribe to it) and now, no US v Canada game on pay for view.

There are a lot of us soccer fans who saw Dish as the superior soccer network and therefore either initially subscribed, as I did, or switched from Direct TV or cable. Some of my friends are grumbling about switching back--not to cable, of course, but to Direct TV.

I'm sure there were some reasons, other than not caring, that led to you not offering the game. But that's revenue lost and margin forfeited. Hopefully a not-enough margin calculation didn't enter into the decision

Come on. You guys used to be great. That's why so many of us are with you and (used to) recommend the Dish to others. Don't let Direct TV out do you.

8. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just sent my e-mail to complain. Get your Dish Networks friends to send their emails in as well. We need a strong voice here.

9. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a DirecTV subsciber, but I sent two e-mails of complaint to DishTV and Mr. Schwimmer anyway.

10. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    for those who care...here's my email

Dear Michael,

I've been a subscriber for almost 8 years and have enjoyed your soccer coverage up until last year. Last season, your coverage of the MLS shootout did not include midweek games, while these same games were aired on the MLS Shootout by DirecTV and Digital Cable. The price was the same for the package for all 3 providers, yet Dish provides the least.

Also, on January 18th, the United States National Team played Canada, and this was available as a PPV event on DirecTV, not on Dish Network. Once again, it upsets me that your offerings again came up short when compared to the competition. The primary reason I subscribed to Dish Network was your soccer programming, and while it provided the best for quite some time, it is clearly not the case now.

Please let me know what Dish Network's position is regarding future soccer games, including the coverage it intends to provide for the MLS games this season (specifically, if Dish will only carry Saturday games as it did last year).

11. clintn

clintn New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Springfield, Mo.
    I received this reply from Michael Schwimmer:

Thank you for your message. Dish also wants to carry as much as soccer as we can from a technical and economic perspective. We hope to have all MLS games this coming season. As for other games, including the US v. Canada game, it is our desire to carry as many as we can.

Thank you for your feedback.

Michael Schwimmer

Did anyone else get a reply?

12. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    That reply was more than I received! But maybe my letter helped prod him to write that reply to you.

I also really hope they carry all the games-I hope they make money on it so it is at least financially appealing to them to make us happy.

13. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

metros have been hoping for a new stadium for quite some time....

they've also desired a good playing surface.....

i expect an announcement in 30-60 days...(translation....don't hold your breath)....

if dish was going to carry ALL the MLS games, they would've said so, in no uncertain terms.

14. TomJ

TomJ New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Wash. DC

15. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Vote with your dollars and just flat out switch. Why are you begging them and continue to pay them monthly service fees for something you do not want. Just do it, and switch. Hopefully Direct TV will see that people are switching and carry even more stuff.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some real high maintenance characters in here.

If DISH screws up the Shootout package this year, I'll contemplate switching. But I've gotta say, I had no complaints last year.