Dillon Powers at Dundee United (Scotland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bungadiri

In a mood to pick on you I suppose!

bungadiri repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gacm32, Testudo and ebado repped this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Powers brushes aside Serie A rumors and aims for USMNT call-up
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ers-brushes-aside-serie-rumors-and-aims-usmnt

Testudo repped this.
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they need another American CM?

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. I don't think he's NT quality but anything is better than Colorado and if he can get out of that hell hole, maybe he'll take a true next step in putting it together.

First Shane, now Powers. My guess is Serna is next? Any young player in Colorado with talent is looking for the eject button.

Tom Collingsworth and m vann repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like my previous post back in Jan. the talent to be an international is there but he's a product of a shitty environment in which to develop. I really thought Powers would take a step forward this season but he did not. Some of that can be chalked up to him but most of it has do with the ineptness of Mastroeni and the Rapids FO. They did not put Powers in a position to succeed. I won't say Powers regressed but he certainly didn't take a step forward. He needs to get the f*** out of Dodge. It will do him a world of good.

From my perspective, Mastroeni pretty much ran Shane out of town. I don't know the specifics. I don't know if it's true but more than one eyebrow was raised when Shane went from an indispensable starter to not playing to not making the bench. There was a riff and it was clear. Powers, I suspect, felt the wrath of PM, too. Serna, I don't see jumping ship --- yet. Having watched the kid grow up in my back yard of the North Denver subs, he is a homebody and really engrained in his environment. That's not to say he won't eventually land abroad but I think it would take a mighty offer to pry himself away from CO. Maybe, my tone will change when the Rapids finally give the him the keys to the car and let him be who he is ---- a speedy winger, confident on the ball, and can put a backline on its heels.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is always "Why don't Reading have more American players?"

Gorky repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's sized up Danny Williams and thinks he's better than him. And if he proves it on the same field day in and day out by taking his spot or out-performing alongside him, what other excuses could be made? If you have international dreams, it's a savvy move. I doubt he could have gotten into the Premier League or Bundesliga without being an American international. But Reading can be a stepping stone to those places, especially if it leads him to being an international regular. Hopefully it works out for him/us.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powders' trial has been extended. I guess that's a good thing. Could they actually sign and play him straight away now, seeing as though it's outside a transfer period? I know this isn't technically a transfer, but rules still might apply. My interpretation of this is they must like him at this point but not love him, otherwise he'd have been locked up.

10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In January

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they couldn't play him now anyways, but like I said if they loved him he'd have been signed to a pre-contract or something of that effect you figure to avoid losing him after his trial.

A good sign is they dropped the other guy (Kevin Foley) who came in with him and apparently played at a position they had more of a need for. So it's not like they just have a really low standard for extending trials. Seems more likely than not now something comes out of this trial.

12. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014

Rahbiefowlah, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  13. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Palermo last summer and would absolutely go there in a heartbeat. I'd take less money too!

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's leaning toward the Championship for him now - Reading Between the Lines.

But if they slow play him for max info before signing him, it might behoove his agent to start selling Palermo on Powers now that he's having a seemingly successful enough trial with Reading. The reason why a move to Italy didn't work out was interested teams didn't feel like they had enough info on him at the time from his appearances in MLS alone.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sbisoccer.com/2015/11/reading-extends-dillon-powers-trial-another-week

“Dillon has come over from the MLS and is working with us. He will stay with us for another week,” Reading manager Steve Clarke told GetReading.co.uk. “The MLS is out of season as his team didn’t qualify for the playoffs, so he’s working with the rest of the group and I know he’s enjoying it. But it will be a decision for January. It can’t be done until then so we’ll continue to look at Dillon in training. So far he’s done well.”
    “I would say his strengths are more attacking than defensive, but he’s got the capability to get around the pitch well,” said Clarke. “He’s a talented midfielder.”

Winoman and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One way or another it would behoove him to get other clubs involved. Increase his salary, the transfer fee to make it enough so MLS will bite, and not put all his eggs in one basket. Listening to a bit of one of Reading's podcasts, they talk positively about him, but a couple months is a long time to be on trial before a team pulls the trigger. They could start to find reasons, on and off the field, to balk. What happens if he pulls a hammy right before the winter transfer window? Get other teams in on this and sign a pre-contract somewhere.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarke fired, and he made a number of positive comments toward Powers, inkling they would sign him at the end of the winter transfer window. This is why you can't put all your eggs in one basket. I hope he had his agent there taking cell phone videos. Maybe can get a recommendation from Clarke himself to join another Championship club, or one in France or Italy. Stick there for a few days to find out the replacement and his feel for you, but I don't think he should blindly stay with them now that the situation has changed. Next manager could have his different philosophies or biases.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scholes181818, autobus39 and Winoman repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

American midfielder Dillon Powers, 28, is on trial at the club, alongside defender Kieran Freeman, 18, who left United for Southampton in 2016.

The duo have made an impression with Neilson "pleased with both of them".

"They'll play in a game on Tuesday, and we'll make a decision by the end of the week," he said.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51020790

Winoman and Dr.Phil repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this where Ian Harkes is, or is that the other Dundee team?

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.. it'd be an All-American midfield

Winoman repped this.