Dillon Powers at Dundee United (Scotland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italian passport?

3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, the Italian connection is through his grandfather on his mother's side. It's been rumored for a while, throughout the Rapids community, that the passport was an option though many weren't sure if the lineage enough to secure it. Nonetheless, I think it's a given that at some point Powers was going to have to make a step up especially if he had national team aspirations.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why doesn't he go to TFC?

:oops:

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what the Rapids/Colorado's price is. Seems to be an exodus happening at the moment from that club.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an exodus of sorts. As there should given their absolute collapse the 2nd half last season. That collapse was brutal and were a myriad of things that contributed. If I had 4 hours you'd hear about even single issue. Nonetheless, what is going on, as we speak, is more of Pablo having his imprint; his say the roster. We came onboard 8 days before the season started. He had zero say in how the team looked. He was dealt a cruel hand. Pablo hasn't made many correct decisions. It's part of the learning curve with an inexperienced manager. The flurry of activity is just Pablo shaping his roster into his vision.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Signore Powercini?

Anyway, the guy may have an Italian passport but he's got an EPL size body ... and that's what you need Euro passports for.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think Italy is about the best place for him to go, he should leave now so he gets more time to adjust. I will be watching to see how his passing translates.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    From those that have seen him, is he that good?.

I honestly haven't seen him play. Holding Mid?

11. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I would love to see him and Harry Shipp (no rumors as far as I know about him, but I think he is a great talent. Or maybe that is just my ND bias) reunite for a club in Italy

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013 MLS rookie of the year. He's an 8 with adequate attacking midfielder abilities. He could have theoretically have played MB's position at the WC properly.

Bajoro repped this.
  13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not "that good" yet but he's built like a bulldozer and seems to be smart enough to pick up on the nuances of the game (i.e, he is not Brek Shea) ... has a good shot too.

Shipp is 145 pounds. Powers is in a different weight class.

Italy will turn him into an Italian Lee Cattermole.

IMO, if he lands in the Championship, he'll learn how to be a decent two way player before he makes a jump to an upper tier league.

14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atalanta would be a good low pressure team to join. Palermo wouldn't be bad, but it can be a pretty unstable team at times. Their owner is insane.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So teams in top European leagues are seeing his talent, but the National Team coach isn't. I think thats a problem.

USAMEX10, LouisZ and afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll get my honest opinion here. I have seen every single one of Dillon's professional matches live and in the flesh -- well home matches that is. The kid is super talented but he is not ready for the international game. For all the intangibles he brings to the table --- good vision, movement, close ball control, and a wicked shot -- Dillon has flaws he needs to address in order to progress to the next level.

In spite of his good vision in the attacking third, he has a tendency to be a turnover machine in his own half. Granted, he does have the athleticism and defensive wherewithal to recover and usually those balls are not so troubling but on the international level you get punished. Dillon's decision making, when there are multiple options, gets him a little antsy and instead of taking a systemic approach he'll get rushed and will attempt the high risk option. Sometimes it works; some it doesn't but on the international level you consistently need to make the right decision. Dillon also needs to be commanding and demanding. Too often, as most young players do, he doesn't demand the ball enough in dangerous spots. He defers to others. Dillon needs to own those situations. Likewise, Dillon isn't commanding enough in the middle of the field. He has trouble, again as many young players do, dictating what goes on -- offensively and defensively -- in that area. In other words, he lets the game come to him instead of taking control of game and forcing his will upon it.

With all that said, these are very correctable facets on his game. I have no doubt that 6-months down the road he will have these ironed out. Dillon, from everything you hear, read, and see, is very adaptable and coachable and works his butt off. He sort of went through a mini Sophomore slump early last season mostly due to MLS defenders having seen his game. He became predictable but as the season wore on he made adjustments and improved over his Rookie season. He was one of the few bright spots in a crappy Rapids team. I expect another leap this season. That will interest teams abroad and most importantly Klinsmann.

17. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again!:whistling:

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't disagree. I'm not saying throw him into our best 23 just because he has European interest. I would have liked to see him at Camp Cupcake, but instead Klinsmann has decided that its more important to develop U-23 players than to call in the best MLS and Scandinavian-based players for this camp.

I just think its a problem that the coach is ignoring so many players that should have gotten call ups recently. He's called in a lot of different players. I find it troubling that some of the best one's haven't been called in recently. I assume thats because he just doesn't see that much in these players. I think that's troubling.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids are a mess. Not on Klinsmann's radar at the moment either. Might as well give it a shot.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, would have liked to have seen Dillon in camp. However, I do understand getting a jump start on the Olympics. Dillon's just caught in a numbers games -- if you will. Too old for the Olympics but not among the best in MLS to warrant a call up. He will be eventually, though.

Not the right forum to discuss this topic but I will just say this: I get frustrated at times that Klinsmann calls up this guy over [/that] guy but it's not always down to one is better than the other. It's about if he fits into his system. If he does then he will be called up. If he doesn't, no call will be made. It took me a while to wrap my head around that concept --- JK is a "system" manager.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And part of that mess your Crew took off our hands --- looking at you Klute. ;)

22. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like 95% of all our players at senior level to be honest. An when they don't differ they run straight into a defender or get lost in their dribble.

23. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those fans are nutso though.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #Academy Forum

25. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powers was invited to Camp Cupcake last year but couldn't go because he was recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery. So he's at least of Jurgen's radar, another good season and/or transfer to Serie A will probably garner another call up.

Winoman, Namdynamo and m vann repped this.