Dignity Health Sports Park Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by unitedfc, Jan 6, 2019.

1. unitedfc

unitedfc Member

May 31, 2016
    The home of the LA Galaxy and the Chargers is now called Dignity Health Sports Park Soccer Stadium. The Dignity Health Sports Park also includes the Dignity Health Sports Park Tennis Stadium. What’s the current capacity of the stadium? I heard it will be expanded to a capacity of 30,000, will that happen soon?

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capacity is an awkward question since apparently our 27k announced for so many years was a tad inflated. I’ve heard that s realer number was 24.5

With actual seats on the grass been and stands in the corner above the Galaxy put in for the Chargers there are more seats available now then ever before. Not sure what the largest announced crowd for the Galaxy or Chargers is in last two seasons under this configuration.

One MLS cup final there was additional stands built in another corner and they announced over 30k.

3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you hear it will be expanded? I've not heard that, and the Chargers will be gone after next season. Doesn't seem there is a need to expand for the Galaxy.

kaburu repped this.
  4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I had heard that as well back before the Chargers started playing at Stub hub. However, despite the additional seats (net the loss of berm seats) the seating limit apparently remains right around 27k as the attendance for the 8/24/18 match against LAFC was 27068 and it was officially a sellout.

I checked several pre-expansion sellouts including the 2014 MLS Cup game and their official attendance as mbar stated was 27k. So the net was no real change.

FWIW, a 2018 ESPN article stated that the Chargers could have expanded the seating capacity before the 2018 season to 30k, but chose not to do so.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth is that if the Galaxy started really having a ticket availability issue, AEG would raise ticket prices (to reduce the demand somewhat) before building more seats. That's the AEG model.

TrickHog and 73Bruin repped this.
  6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    73Bruin, mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at the title of the thread. I have nothing against the company - don't know it from Adam. BUT that has to be the most cumbersome clumsy name for a stadium that I have ever seen.

shelbo, 7E23, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close. I think some of the colleges with "such-and-such field at so-and-so stadium" are in the running.

skydog repped this.
  9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep, Victoria Street for the win.

10. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That would be nice, just have it be something like "Sponsor Name Here at Victoria Street". Still get the sponsor money for the stadium naming rights and the fans can just call it Victoria Street through all of the different sponsors down the line and never have to worry about it.

shelbo and hav77 repped this.
  11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it but the XFL is putting a team here in 2020. They will be playing their season from February to April, means the first couple of months of the season will be played on a sub-par pitch. With any luck the XFL will fold after one season and it will be a non-issue in the future.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Love this idea.

13. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Just me, but I don't like the name "Victoria Street". Years ago this was brought up when the Home Depot Center first opened to mimick a Britishism. Never liked it then, and don't like it now. But I say, call it whatever the hell you want.

GalaxyOne, L.A. Native and Beakmon FC repped this.
  14. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People would probably think it's named for David Beckham's wife.

GalaxyOne and skydog repped this.
  15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I proposed "Avalon Park" way back in the day.

Another gridiron team is coming? Good grief.

MPNumber9 and skydog repped this.
  16. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Ha! Yup. I found it a particularly irritating name after people criticized calling it something else becuase doing so was just mimicking south american soccer. They argued we should create our own thing...then they proceed to praise "Victoria Street" becuase that's how the English do it...

17. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well unfortunately the American way of doing it how we're doing it now. We all pretty much agree that way sucks. I'd just like to have a name I can call it and not have to worry about who or what the sponsor is.

18. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or call it:
    "DHSP"
    "The DHS not to be confused with the other DHS"
    "The Stadium Formerly Known as The Stub Hub Center"

19. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or we could just call it by it's most recognizable name, like how real White Sox fans still refer to the stadium as Comisky and how Indians fans still call the stadium Jacobs Field.

20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Dignity Health anyway? Insurance company like United Healthcare?

21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, just be thankful we don't have to change the team name after the sponsor, like, oh, say, the Red Bulls. :laugh:

22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just looked it up, and they are no less than California's largest healthcare provider, meaning they own and operate a lot of hospitals, employing lots of doctors and health care professionals. All as a non-profit. Impressive!

23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers! You are better then google :)

skydog and GalaxyOne repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is more effective because more people in the stadium = more costs but increased prices is all margin, baby.

25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Personally I didn’t want it to ape “how the English do it”, but rather for a consistency through the inevitable name change down the years and just Victoria sounds like victory/victorious.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.