Diego Fagundez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Calci0, Oct 12, 2013.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this goes for so many us players though! epb, agudelo, perry kitchen, bjorn maars, parks, nagbe, etc etc.....who the hell is in these kids ears????

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont feel any sympathy for him though.......he chose uruguay...now that they dont want him hes tryna holler at the usa??? nah.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. esc0

esc0 Member

May 29, 2012
    Idaho
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was/is a kid though. His parents and his manager/agents should have been better informed. Had they only bothered to check on Big Soccer...... oh well. Its unfortunate for him.

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what evidence is there that he didnt know that when he chose uruguay it was final??

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a dream to see Diego Fagundez playing for usmnt, he is a very talented and promising player. But I know that this will probably never happen because of FIFA rules.

6. esc0

esc0 Member

May 29, 2012
    Idaho
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there evidence one way or another? Besides there are 2 reasons I'd say he might not have been aware. He was a teen. And what reason does he have to say it out loud if he knew there was no chance in hell he could make a switch after the fact?

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with all due respect....how a professional soccer player could not know the rules around national team eiligibilty....or at very least have SOMEONE in his circle...an agent, a relative, a friggin teammate....a coach...anyone whom he could turn to about these types of decisions is unfathomable to me.

i mean, most people on bigsoccer know even if they have never been pros.....

not to mention googling the rules.....

information is not hard to get in this day and age. so the "ignorance defense" is kinda weak.

i realize it isnt in his interest to publically admit if he knew or not...but my point is i dont care if what he admits is in his public interest.

for the record, i really wanted fagundez to play for USMNT and was disappointed when he seemingly hose uruguay out of nowhere...but he HAD to know that mean no USMNT for him. If not, he's too dumb to play for USMNT anyway, imo.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    playing on a coffee stained rug with old football lines is the major problem Revs players have. I've seen better fields for over 40 leagues.

9. andyjgt

andyjgt Member

Manchester City
    England
    Dec 20, 2017
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The rule is stupid.

So Sabanadzovic, raised in Bosnia by two Bosnian parents (one actually born in Montenegro), who chose Bosnia while eligible for the USA (so shunning the USA in other words), can switch at the drop of a hat, but Fagundez, who is genuinely American "in reality" even if not yet technically (Sabanadzovic is not American "in reality" at all), cannot switch even if he gets US citizenship and becomes American "technically" as well as "in reality"?!

Sabanadzovic chose Bosnia while eligible for the USA, Fagundez hasn't had the chance to make a choice. It's quite clear of the two it should be Fagundez who should have the right to play for the USA in future.

Re Qatar buying up Brazilian and Argentinian youth players, I doubt those who actually have the chance to play for their real country will move to Qatar, and in any case, if people live in Qatar for 5 years, they are more Qatari "in reality" than Sabanadzovic is American "in reality".

Personally, I think the USA should abolish unconditional birthright citizenship, but before ArJo, I had no idea it was not the rule in most other countries. (If ArJo wants to think of himself as a genuine American, he has to give his daughter Johannsson rather than Aronsdottir as her surname. Americans (and English people, and Germans, where his daughter was born) aren't dottirs, though it must be said she is a citizen of neither the USA nor Germany.)

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would take a constitutional amendment, which is absolutely not going to happen any time soon.

11. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    It's a NEW WORLD vs OLD WORLD thing.

I think that in every country in the Americas, if you are born in that country, you are a citizen of that country. (You can add other citizenships, depending on the nationality of your parents/ grandparents... years working in another country...), but it is the standard in the Western Hemisphere.

Don't know about other continents, but it's good to know that you're upset abut something like this when you list yourself as living in London and your national team is England. (Muy importante!)

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty much.

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

gunnerfan7 and Napoleon_BA repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Fagundez did have a choice. He could have declined the invitation to the cap-tying Uruguay U20 competition if he wanted to represent the USMNT.. That's what Gedion Zelalem and others have done. Gedion declined invitations to German cap-tying events because he wanted to leave the US door open in the future. He only attended non cap-tying events.

This whole Fagundez thing is basically a non-story. What was the biggest problem? The biggest problem was that he didn't get his green card until 2013.
    So was Fagundez going to wait around for eventual US citizenship way down the line.......................while Uruguay actually wanted him? No.

By the way, as far as I know Diego isn't yet a US citizen. So the whole thing is basically pointless. Its kinda like how we used to have endless discussions on these boards about Andy Najar's citizenship timelines. As far as I know, he never became a US citizen.

Gamecock14 and Napoleon_BA repped this.
  14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you can take your weird iterations of nativism and just keep walking. Aron can name his kid "Kanye McBigMac" if he wants, it's called freedom.

There's really no reason to stop jus soli, especially as it presents a particularly thorny problem with thousands of Americans being born in American embassies/military bases in all corners of the world. Senator John McCain, for example, was born on a military base in Panama IIRC.

It's particularly funny that you're commenting on what a "real" American is... as an Englishman. I don't know if you remember, but we sorta fought to break away from you. Not to mention, your own nativist slant would seem to preclude you from this discussion in the first place, so I don't think your opinion holds a lot of weight. Remember, we're fatter than you, so we do hold a lot of weight! ;)

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a common misconception, but being born at a US overseas base or an embassy does not transmit automatic citizenship.

U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 7 notes, US embassy's are not part of the United States and do not acquire U.S. citizenship under the 14th Amendment.

FAM 1113 NOT INCLUDED IN THE MEANING OF "IN THE UNITED STATES"

c. Birth on U.S. Military Base Outside of the United States or Birth on U.S. Embassy or Consulate Premises Abroad:

(1) Despite widespread popular belief, U.S. military installations abroad and U.S. diplomatic or consular facilities abroad are not part of the United States within the meaning of the 14th Amendment. A child born on the premises of such a facility is not born in the United States and does not acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of birth.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the heck not? Aren't they Federal pieces of land?

Is the rationale something like "if we allow that, then a lot of people are going to want to have kids in US embassies/US bases"?

BostonRed repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they are areas under control of the US government, but aren't considered the country itself. The US government has control, but it's still done under a treaty. Just cause we own or rent the property doesn't make it part of our country in a legal sense.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, that makes sense.

19. andyjgt

andyjgt Member

Manchester City
    England
    Dec 20, 2017
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe it took a constitutional amendment in Ireland, and that did happen, in 2004.

20. andyjgt

andyjgt Member

Manchester City
    England
    Dec 20, 2017
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #95 andyjgt, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Sabanadzovic had a choice, Bosnia or USA (I believe Montenegro too), and he chose Bosnia. Arjo (or Gislason as I will always call him because Americans have surnames, not patronymics) had a choice, Iceland or USA, and he chose Iceland, until Jurgen got into his head.

Fagundez's choice was Uruguay or nobody, not Uruguay or USA.

21. andyjgt

andyjgt Member

Manchester City
    England
    Dec 20, 2017
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, Kanye McBigMac Johannsson, not Kanye McBigMac Aronsson or Aronsdottir.

Unconditional jus soli used to make sense in the USA, but it doesn't any more with the number of people who move there on a temporary basis with no intention of settling down there.

22. andyjgt

andyjgt Member

Manchester City
    England
    Dec 20, 2017
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am not nativist, I am entirely in favour of the German-Americans playing for the USA. They would all qualify for German citizenship had they been born and raised in the USA by the same parents, or for UK citizenship and eligibility for England had their fathers been English. On the contrary, AJ would not have UK or German citizenship had he been born there, indeed his German-born daughter is not a citizen of that country, nor indeed of the USA because he didn't live there long enough to pass it on and his wife is not a US citizen (or German).

(I used to oppose Owen Hargreaves playing for England, but that is because Canada are so much worse than England that nobody born and raised in Canada should be good enough for the England team. Germany are better than the USA, so that doesn't apply here.)

23. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    He chose poorly.

He could have been part of the Golden Generation... he was actually, but he mistakingly thought that the USA was his better opportunity to go to the World Cup. And he did go to the World Cup in 2014 and played in the first match, when Jozy got injured... and then never played in another match.

I feel for him. It was his decision to switch, but he would have had so much more success if he had stayed with Iceland.

andyjgt repped this.
  24. andyjgt

andyjgt Member

Manchester City
    England
    Dec 20, 2017
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree there. I bet he wishes he'd stayed with Iceland, and not just because I'm sure he feels more Icelandic of the two nationalities (though he is the most culturally American of those who grew up abroad without an American parent).

I think one of the big problems is that the rules allowed him to switch without a "quarantine" period (of at least one year) as is required in track and field. If there had been such a period, I guess it'd have taken a lot more for him to switch.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Find me any issue that 67 senators, 290 representatives, and 38 states agree on.

It is substantially easier to amend the Irish constitution, to the point that they've amended it 29 times in 80 years. All it takes is a majority vote in a referendum.

BostonRed repped this.