Diego Fagundez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Calci0, Oct 12, 2013.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you are correct.

2. TheObserver89

TheObserver89 Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Sense alot of sour grapes in this thread

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    as well there should be about a guy who moved here when he was 5.

4. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to close this thread.

Master O repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    [​IMG]

Jsean and BostonRed repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to 2015, Diego:

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that was the story he was ineligible, but I don't understand why. He wasn't cap-tied to the Uruguayan senior team and never appeared for U.S. youth teams to have to sign a one-time-switch. Because he wasn't a U.S. citizen by the time he appeared in the u-20 WC for Uruguay? If so, that's another arbitrary FIFA rule.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a player wishes to file a one-time-switch to another country, he MUST have been eligible for that other country at the time of the provisionally cap-tying youth competitive cap.

The rule is designed to keep a country like Qatar from finding Brazilian youth players who never made the senior team level and recruiting them to their national team.

The rule:

8 Change of association

If a player has more than one nationality, or if a player acquires a new nationality, or if a player is eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, only once, request to change the association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at “A” international level for his current association, and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current association, he already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.

b) He is not permitted to play for his new association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous association.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the reality is it c**k blocks people with legit dual national background like Fagundez. He's essentially not eligible because his mom didn't put in the paperwork when he was a kid.

Really what they should do to deter the behavior like you discussed is to make a much stricter naturalization requirement in adulthood, or not allow it at all because it's skirting the system. That country had nothing to do with your development. But if you spent x amount of years before 18 in a country, let's say 5, you're eligible whenever you ultimately get citizenship, or even without.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 BostonRed, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Long time residents who aren't citizens are almost never a case of "not submitting the paperwork." I only have circumstantial evidence, but everything indicates that Diego and his family overstayed their visa and were in the US illegally. He would have been DACA eligible in all likelihood if he hadn't been granted a P-1 visa.

True, it's punishing him and others like him, but FIFA decided to draw the line somewhere. US immigration law isn't very welcoming, which compounds the problem, especially with no shortcut for folks that we want to have citizenship quickly. Limiting it to only the country you developed in limits the options of players who never get the chance in their home countries. More opportunities for players to join a national team is usually better.

ArsenalMetro and superdave repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The purpose of the rule is to prevent Qatar from capping all of Brazil's and Argentina's former youth standouts. Any rule, no matter how carefully and sensibly written, are going to catch some people in a vise. Diego should either have said "not yet" to Uruguay, or he should have gotten his citizenship first.

Let me point out that EVEN NOW he doesn't have his citizenship.
    My memory is the same.

edcrocker repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My memory is the same too.

Its hard to tell a kid like Diego (or Andy Najar or Jack Harrison or whomever) to wait when the citizenship timelines are so long. You gotta strike while the iron is hot. In this business you can have an injury that ends your career next week. And you can wait all of that time...................and then the USMNT may not be interested after all. We do have kids that we've cap-tied who in hindsight might have been better off not switching to the US program. The Teal Bunbury types.....................

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't you get waivers and exceptions to these sort of things? Didn't Zelalem need some sort of waiver?

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different rule. Zelalem's was a waiver of the rule that a player must wait until he has been resident in his new country for 5 consecutive years after turning 18 when gaining a new citizenship to be eligible to play for the new country. The availability of a waiver not listed in the statutes, but it seems to be fairly common (because the rule penalizes players who are taken by their parents to a new country).

I've never heard of a waiver for something like this, though you never know. He can always ask.

edcrocker and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. That suggests seeking a waiver in this circumstance would not be inappropriate from a procedural POV. It can't hurt to ask.

18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Wonder if they’d make an exception considering how long he’s been in the US.

edcrocker repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems unlikely.

I mean, there's no actual reason for FIFA to rule in Diego's favor here. This isn't a case like..................Osvaldo Alonso. He was cap-tied to Cuba, but could never actually play for Cuba again after defecting to the US. So you could kinda see an argument there.

Diego Fagundez is cap-tied to Uruguay. He's just not good enough to get a call up. Sorry...................them's the breaks. Who didn't see this coming? If Diego didn't want to be cap-tied to Uruguay, then he shouldn't have gone to the U20 South American Championships with them.

superdave repped this.
  20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I don’t think he’s good enough for the US either, although he does a position of need for us.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thing that stands out to me about this is how bad Diego's representation is. Like, he genuinely doesn't seem to realize that his Uruguay appearance cap-tied him, which presumably means that no one mentioned it back then. Total negligence. A collection of BigSoccer posters could be doing a better job.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His development stagnated for a bit there, but i thought he had a good 2017.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And somehow still only 22 years old.............................

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Fagundez has the same problem that a lot of those NE players do, he's been moved around to play positions that don't suit his game. I thought when playing positions that suit his game (#10 or LW), he did pretty well last season.

comoesa repped this.
  25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hoep Friedel doesn't play guys all over the field like Heaps and that the Revs get a real soccer stadium but I digress.

ussoccer97531 repped this.