Diego Fagundez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Calci0, Oct 12, 2013.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there is still a chance he could play for the USA since the South American Youth Championships are not official FIFA tournaments.

I know there is a player for Equatorial Guinea who played in the South American Youth Championships for Colombia yet was still allowed to play for the African side. Yimmy Bermudez is his name.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    COMNEBOL events have to be official events

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #28 HomietheClown, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    They are official CONMEBOL events. When pertaining to FIFA and the rules though...
    .... they are in doubt at times depending on certain cases.
    In addition to Bermudez, Chaco Gimenez played in a 2001 South American Youth championship for Argentina but was still allowed to play for Mexico at the senior level. So it is up to the discretion of FIFA officials and their arbitrary standards.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I know the rules have changed a few times since then.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year ago this would have been pretty depressing news. For whatever reason, he stunk it up in 2014. Whether he's been "found out" or just had a bad year, I guess we'll find out in 2015.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it has to do with him playing bad, I think it has more to do with others playing better than him.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official word was that Argentina was considered a "guest squad" in the SAYC that year, because they were already qualified for the U20 WC as a host and therefore didn't have to participate. As a guest, none of their players were provisionally cap-tied. Not the most logical answer, but it's all we have to go on.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.

That was the FIFA fly by the seat of your pants answer as to why he was allowed to play. Very arbitrary though. Just cause they were hosts does not mean it was not an official match. It was used to calculate other teams' fates for U20 Qualifications so it is a grey area in my mind.

And my Yimmy Bermudez example still has no real good answer either.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Bermudez have dual citizenship (or would be qualified to have it) before the youth tournament took place.

There are 2 different rules, 1 if you are a dual citizen before you play in a youth tournament, and another if you become a citizen after you played in an official youth tournament.

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have a feeling Diego's going to continue to have success thanks to his ties to Uruguay, mainly more chances in leagues like Italy where US players aren't as highly rated.

Good move for him, unfortunate for us....but Uruguay is hsi only realistic choice at this point.

Ciao, Pibe.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not that I know of. There is no evidence of him being eligible for both teams at the time he played for Colombia's u20 Team.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to wonder if this is a case of no one having complained. FIFA showed with the Chaco case that there is a very small window for filing a protest.

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True.
    And Equatorial Guinea was recently punished for playing a Cameroon player who was not eligible...
    ... so it seems like they have set a precedent of either not doing their homework on this issue or (more defiantly) not caring about the rules in place at all.

Either way it is quite odd to me.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seth @SethMan31 Follow
    Diego Fagundez makes the final 23-man roster for Uruguay U-20s #NERevs

I don't know about the reliability of that source. As we know, the second he plays for Uruguay in that event.................he'll be cap-tied to them.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly.

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I saw it mentioned by a Uruguayan journalist too. 95percent sure he's gone.

17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    He was a starter for over 1/2 the season the Rowe returned and slowly but surely, took Diego's spot. By the end of the season, he was playing little or not at all.

Bottom line is - he can't beat players 1v1 and is too small.

18. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    oof... thanks Obama

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  19. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This feels very similar to losing Andy Najar to Honduras. Like Najar, Fagundez is a very promising player and he was fabulous in 2013, but I can't blame him for not wanting to wait around for US citizenship. You win some (Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Aron Johannsson, John Brooks, Julian Green, Mix Diskerud, possibly Gedion Zelalem) and you lose some (Najar, Fagundez, Arturo Alvarez to a much lesser extent). Overall, I'd say we've done very well with getting commitments from potential dual-nationals.

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He finished last year and didn't finish this year. 13 goals on 55 shots in 2427 mins in 2013. 5 from 67 shots in 2142 mins in 2014. He has always been a very peripheral player to the revs attack (fewer touches than one would expect from his position and a low pass completion %) so when he stopped finishing he was an iffy defensive player who didn't provide a lot of value to his team.

21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye Diego.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish him the best.

And Chance, 3 years later, that song still gives me headaches.

Chance repped this.
  23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're absolutely right. He should just ignore examples like Pele, Maradona, Iniesta, Messi, Garrincha, Best, R. Carlos, Saviola, et al.

Pl@ymaker and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you are using 50 years worth of soccer to make your point. Sure there is exceptions that come around once every 20 years but the point is those players were always the top dog in their teams not a work in progress like Fagundez.

25. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I know that I've used 50 years of soccer to make my point.

Do you realize that Cannons said that he's too small for the international game? He/She did not say Fagundez isn't good enough, smart enough, strong enough, or talented enough.

Small isn't THE determining factor,.....which was my point.