Diego available? Give me a break Burns

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Jul 11, 2016.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in Ives today......

Reports out of Italy state that Palermo is interested in New England Revolution midfielder Diego Fagundez. The Revs reportedly want a transfer fee of at least €3.5 million for the 21-year-old.

What are we having a fire sale to pay for new turf? Not like we'd get another player with the money.... as usual we'd get a stiff or castoff or other useless player while selling the future. I would only support this if they took Rowe too as part of the deal

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would support it and wish Diego well. I do not think he is in an environment where the coaching is improving him much. I'd hope he'd get better training and better competition.

RevsLiverpool, pwykes, BERich and 2 others repped this.
  3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's just business"

monere repped this.
  4. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when the club didn't let Shalrie go: What kind of minor league team stands in the way of players' careers. nobody is going to want to play for a team that blocks their career.

You can say Fagundez needs to leave to get good coaching -- yet the only place he has ever played is here. Why doesn't the system that developed him get any credit?

You can complain that the club wouldn't do anything productive with the money, but they developed Fagundez with the money they got from selling Dempsey.

Here's another way of looking at it: the club developed a good player and is wiling to let him go (making him happy and sending a good message to others who might consider playing for Revs). He is currently one of the first 18 but not always a first 11 player and the club has other options at his position. For 3.5 million Euros (3.8 million dollars) the club could spend 1 million on extending the system that developed Fagundez (and Caldwell and Heriavaux) and still have almost 3 million to spend on a big time player or two at a position of need (a DP level center defender, for starters).

mschofield and mrt/MLS repped this.
  5. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the portion that the Revs retain if they sell him, as he's a homegrown the rules are diffrent right?

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to him if he goes. But this rumor has been going on for ... three years now? With the same club?

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a youth star long before he signed with the Revs academy.

The Revs get credit for bringing him up to his breakout year in 2013, but his numbers have regressed every year since then. He's only 21. He's too young to be regressing.

RevsLiverpool, pwykes and a517dogg repped this.
  8. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    January of this year. Previous rumors linking to Torino, Atalanta and Chievo by some random rumor site.
    Source:
    http://www.thebentmusket.com/revolu...eportedly-interested-in-adding-diego-fagundez

This one appears to be from a similar site. Translated it says -

Palermo looking for a midfielder and continued negotiations to bring in Sicily Diego Fagúndez, Uruguayan '95 New England Revolution. The Sicilians have a loan with the right of redemption, while the Americans are asking 3.5 million for the outside left-handed.

Sounds like they want a loan and we want to sell...who knows who the club source giving this info is though..

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hold our ire until this is news rather than a rumor.

As far as Diego improving as a player, he's cap-tied to Uruguay, correct, so I kind of don't care.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid has pretty much maxed out what he can do here, he needs a change of scenery. After his breakout year, he's gone down hill, and there are fewer things sadder than a washed-up 21-year old. Let him go to Palmero or wherever else where he can make a go of a stalled career.

As for the "what are we gonna do with the money" question, the inherent fiscalogical cheaptitude of the Revs means they won't tend to spend money the Revs didn't earn, so no profits from the sale of nachos at Pats games can go to buying our next "bigtime" player. But if we sell someone, then we can. Sure, Burns has trouble thinking his way out of a paper bag, but with some cash on hand, at least theoretically, we could sign someone good.

pwykes repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    His career is stalled and it kills me to see that talent wasted. I'm not opposed to a loan, but I'm not sure that would benefit the Revs much with MLS rules. If we loaned him and he got his game back, I'm not sure he'd want to come back here at that point.

And, for his part, he better be ready for a lot of bench/reserve time.

Whatever, I think this rumor is good news, if it is for real. Get something back for him and give him a chance to get back on an upward path. International trades are almost unheard of, but why couldn't it happen? Palermo has to have some talented players that don't figure critically into their plans - and could help us.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I remember the good old days when we thought something to that effect about our Portuguese partnership....

RevsLiverpool and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that got us Sambinho. He's made all the difference for us....;)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Diego has far more talent than he's showing in a Revs uniform. Like other top talent we've gotten since Nicol/Mariner have left (Neumann, Rowe, Farrell), they have not been done any favors by our inexperienced coaching staff. Diego to Serie A for $3.8 million would be a great deal for all involved. We definitely have the depth to handle losing him and we could/should spend the money on the academy.

15. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our misuse of our depth would be just as skillful with or without the chance to misuse Diego. Our mediocrity will roll on in glorious mediocrity, unblemished by the occasional moment of brilliance from Fagundez.
    Yes, we could/should spend the money on the academy. Spend it wisely on men capable of finding and developing talent, and on young players who have the potential to become first rate with that development. But we won't. Most of it will never see the academy, and what part of it makes it to the Academy will be squandered on the same fine folk who have built and maintained the absolute mediocrity of the present Rev organization.

pwykes repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, Diego is probably a better player than he has shown at the moment, but losing him now would not be the same as losing Twellman and Joseph at the same time. There is no way we could have adequately replaced either of those players, much less both at the same time. Diego? No offense, but we'll get by without him if we sell now.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he goes for the sake of his career. He's done f -all performance wise this year and needs to get some good coaching and a jolt to his career, neither of which are likely to happen here. He has looked lost and unmotivated in his most recent appearances this year. A change of scenery would do Diego wonders. Of course, I've always felt he'd be an outstanding fit for the Portuguese league. If Sporting were smart they would utilize their "partnership" with the revs to take him on loan or buy him outright. If the revs were,smart they'd do a loan-to-buy with a sell-on clause to make back a % of any future deal.

Factoring in age and upside he's probably this club's greatest player asset right now.

pwykes repped this.
  18. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    Revs would get 75% of the transfer fee or "loan fee revenue" (whatever that is) for Diego, compared to the typical 66.6% for a non-homegrown transfer (per http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations)

There are rules about how the transfer money can be spent by the team: some can be MLS funny money that can be traded, the rest can be used on new or existing DP contracts, or for miscellaneous other expenses (with league approval):

SamSam repped this.
  19. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I commented before the season that this is Heaps' 5th year as coach and he should be fully responsible for the team and their abilities. I feel that Heaps has "failed" and he is not an adequate coach to get the most out of the youngsters on the team. As a517dogg has pointed out, it is not just Diego, we have other players who have not improved. The first couple of years under Heaps, the young players showed improvement. So that begs the question, is that their ceiling or is there room for further improvements? I think they have room to improve. I would also throw in the GM for his lack of ..... I'm not sure what, but he's lacking something!

As for the year of the cup run; as a former coach I know first hand that having a superstar on your team makes you a great coach!!:thumbsup:

pwykes and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is part of a post of mine from February:
    I wonder why Diego signed a new deal in January of this year? Money? Security? He is probably very happy here.

I wish the best for Diego and hope that they move him if indeed there is interest and he is interested. I would also lower his price tag to maybe $2M and percentages of future sales.

I kind of think that whatever Diego can be sold for should be re-invested in the USL PRO Revs II playing in another New England city.

Also, in defense of Heaps, who I think should be replaced, he just has too many hats to wear and he does not seem to wear the "develop young guys" hat very well. Another poster posted something like this months ago.

Looking at player development, I wonder what lessons Heaps feels like he has learned through his handling of Rowe, Neumann, Caldwell, Diego, etc and how he applies those lessons to his handling of Herivaux. I have no issues with how things are going with Herivaux, but would like to see him start to get 15-20 minutes a game when possible. Last game, towards the end, would have been an ideal place to get him on the field.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think his citizenship application plays into it. I think he has to maintain residency here during his waiting period. I'm not sure how a loan/transfer would affect that at this point.

But, if you can't or don't want to move overseas, as a player you have few options.
    While some teams/coaches are clearly better than others, it's a clear problem in MLS where there isn't a full, established reserve system. Every coach is under a lot of pressure to perform NOW, so while they may want to develop younger players, in a pinch when they feel under pressure, they will almost always opt for the veteran who is likely to be a safer choice for *that* game.

Samba is a perfect example. He looks like a great athlete, who has had training in a very good system. Yes, he's not used to MLS and the way teams pressure defenders, but ... How is he going to learn to deal with that if we don't play him? And, why did we get him - to back up our other central defenders? If that was the goal, we would have been better off getting a veteran journeyman. But, Heaps is reluctant to take the risk and live with Samba's mistakes while he gets better - it already cost him when he did take that chance once.

This was one of my biggest gripes with Nicol. Young player after young player rotted on the bench while he rolled out the likes of Jay Heaps and Joey Franchino. Nicol trusted his veterans, even if he knew what their ceiling was.

22. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Get him the hell away from Heaps.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an absolutely crazy idea: Maybe if Heaps can only do so much, maybe just maybe it would makes some sense to hire a guy to do some of the things Heaps is not particularly strong in, like, um, maybe developing young players. The Revs have fewer non-playing staff than anyone else in the league, but oh, that's right, it isn't that management doesn't want to spring for another hire, it's just that Heaps doesn't want another assistant. Wait! No! That was Tactics Man that he didn't want. He's got that covered. But no one said anything about a youth/reserve coach who could work with the young players....

pwykes repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 RevsLiverpool, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    There's no question having a motivated JJ and Lee affected the 2014 cup run in a MAJOR way. Sometimes guys just click and are able to produce results. The manager doesn't matter as much when you have the right locker room leadership.

However, with Heaps I really think it's a communication/feedback issue. If he talks to his guys in the same way he gives interviews, it's too fast paced and sounds like he's on speed or something. There is no way what he says is getting through, especially to the younger guys. I really don't think he's mastered the ability to change how he says things to different players. It makes a big difference.

In 2014, I think JJ did most of the talking to the other guys, a leader both on and off the field. The guys respected him. He had a great career, USMNT, played overseas etc so carried that credibility - plus the results were there for all to see. Heaps does not have that and when he talks, comes across a little too intense and perhaps overly critical, especially when you look around the league to other successful coaches. Guys tend to tune out hyper intense managers after awhile. It's good to have it when you need to kick the team into gear, but to,maintain that intensity over a grueling season is a struggle.

IMO, Heaps needs a coaching mentor who's job is specifically to work with the younger guys. Ideally, someone who has done it and won in MLS or a team like Rochester etc - and he's got to be humble enough to take advice from this person. When he shares feedback, he's got to slow it down, be more positive, take a deep breath. The players will respond to that, especially the younger guys.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problems of hiring a coach who has never done this before.... No one could have predicted that!

TheLostUniversity repped this.