Die Werkself: Bayer Leverkusen 2010-11 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by orng, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, one thing is for sure...they have options. I am just wondering if they will be able to implement them midway through a match if things aren't going their way. Ballack's addition certainly gives them the ability to be a bit more versatile.

I wonder if Ballack's role will be similar to that of Chelsea - holding mid.

Regardless, it look like on of the most complete teams in the BL this season.

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. We'll see what Heynckes does with this selection luxury and if he can keep egos under control.

I think we're going to see more of the pre-Chelsea Ballack. A more offensive Ballack. Still a holding midfielder, but one with the freedom to go forward when he likes.

On paper yes. But let's see how they deal with guys who are unhappy on the bench.

I don't think Patrick Helmes is going to spend a season out of the starting lineup quietly.

He said in today's 'kicker' magazine that "he's too good for the bench."

I believe he's right and again, won't be quiet about it if that's where he winds up.

3. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Deridyok's life continues to fall into shambles, then it looks like Helmes won't have to worry about sitting on the bench. :eek:

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Not been really impressed with Derdiyok anyways. I think Helmes is slightly better, more intelligent player.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's true, but none of us want to see that happen, do we???

Derdiyok is better than I thought he was going to be. It is hard to say who is "better" between he and Helmes because there are things each player does better than the other.

I believe Helmes is the better "classic striker", while I think Derdiyok is better for Leverkusen's overall game.

And Derdiyok certainly works better with Kiessling than Helmes does.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think theres much between Dediyok and Helmes at the moment. Both have a lot of room for improvement and have shown glimpses of that in their respective stand out seasons. I like them both personally. I think both have very strong positioning and anticipation of the ball. It'll be interesting to see them compete against each other for the starting spot.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TBH, I don't see why Kiessling should be somehow "guaranteed" a spot.

I know no one here said that, but that's what we seem to be assuming.

Suppose Derdiyok and Helmes both beat out Kiessling??

I know Kiessling put up 21 goals last season, but that's exactly it.

It was last season. How do we know he'll repeat it??

I would pose the same question to BVB fans about Barrios too.

BTW FR, there's loads of difference in the games of Helmes and Derdiyok. Loads.

Derdiyok combines some of the finishing prowess of a top striker with the speed and ball handling of a play-making midfielder.

I believe Helmes is more of a classic "target striker" type player and should be more in competition with Kiessling than Derdiyok.

The thing is, Kiessling has part of all of those qualities and last season, he put them together better than he ever has in his career.

This "luxury problem" will be interesting to see throughout the season.

Or of course, maybe it won't be a "problem" at all and just a "luxury."

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course, no one is guaranteed a spot. If he underperforms he will and should be benched. I'm just going by what I think Heynckes will do or at least what he'll go with going into the new season.

Oh I know, I don't think they are exact replicas of each other but both are now/or have been used as the CF to the SS role Kiessling has played. All three are versatile enough to be interchanged though I believe. Would love to see different combinations using those three.

9. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win against Paderborn. Derdiyok (6') and Helmes (65') get the goals. Helmes has 11 goals in pre-season play, so it will be interesting to see how the forward situation plays out this season. I'm not sure we can keep Kiessling, Derdiyok, and Helmes all happy.

10. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    with europa its possible to make them all happy if the coach does it right

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

orng: This is what I've been getting at the entire time.

Bundesligafan: I disagree with you.

When a team has three strikers of this quality, someone isn't going to be happy about not consistently starting.

12. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europa League 4th Qualifying Round
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen vs. SC Tavria (Ukraine)

The first leg is the 19th at the BayArena, with the return leg scheduled for a week later.

“We should be able to get a result against this side. We’re glad that we’ve been drawn at home first because we will have started the Bundesliga campaign before the return leg.” - Wolfgang Holzhäuser

“We’ll have a very long journey for the return leg and that shouldn’t be underestimated. We are playing the Ukrainian Cup winners but I’m very optimistic about both games.” - Rudi Völler

“We’re up against an unknown opponent who we’ll have to study very closely and take very, very seriously.” - Jupp Heynckes

“They’re a tricky and dangerous opponent. But we’ll do everything we can to ensure we make progress in Europe.” - Rene Adler

13. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 win for the Werkself over Fortuna Koln today. I've only seen the highlights, but it didn't look like the team was clicking on all cylinders. Then again, it wasn't like we fielded our best XI.

15. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The man is a complete and utter legend. I've met him and he is Liverpool through and through and he would never have left Liverpool if he was still first choice. I love the man.

Having said all that Sami did the right thing and as always the right thing is not the easiest to do as shown by the out pouring of emotion on his final day at Anfield, from a man as clam and laid back as him that really said it all how much the club came to mean to him.

He will come back as a coach, of that I have no doubt and when he does he will be welcomed back as well as any other legend that has ever returned to Anfield.

He's my favourite player of all time and I'm glad he's playing for Bayer and look forward to seeing him next season but even when he does eventually leave Bayer, I will not.

17. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Another thing, why is the Bayer Leverkusen thread not in the sub section like some of the other German clubs?

Come on mods, sort it out.

.... please.

18. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not enough Bayer fans on Big Soccer.

19. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's not right. I mean if it's not kept active then fair enough, but I'll make sure as well as I'm sure a few others would that it will be.

In other news, what do people think of the signing of Ballack? He's never been the same player since he left Leverkusen and Chelsea have so many scoring, creative options that they can nullify the threat of some of them.

A perfect example of Chelsea not making the most of someone's ability is Joe Cole and even in the single game he has played for Liverpool you can see he will get more freedom to do what he wants and has to do. Do you think the same will happen to a degree with Ballack? Does Ballack still have that in his game? I'm not a big fan of his and I do think that given his reputation he is a bit overrated but now that he's here I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, forget previous and concentrate on him being a Leverkusen player again.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To this point, it's been mostly non-Bayer fans keeping this thread going.

There have been new Bayer fans showing up recently, but I don't think it is to the point where Bayer deserves its own sub-forum.

21. Völler's Mustache

Aug 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Schalke and 1860 are the the only teams that don't have one, that deserve one.

22. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm going to post on here everyday until we get one, sometimes more than once a day, I saw the Shawshank Redemption, I know how to get things done!

Come on Bayer fans, this is embarrasing, we should be up there with the rest of them.

Viva La Revolucion (but in German).

P.S it's 1am but your sig just made me want a beer.

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll gladly help.

24. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Much obliged.

What are your thoughts on Adler being dropped from the national team? There is surely no one people think Neuer is now a better keeper?

For me Adler is amoung the best keepers in the world, Neuer is a nice shot stopper, that's about it.

Can't wait to see him back in action:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIch4M71EU"]YouTube- ‪René Adler - The Best Saves [HD]‬‎[/ame]

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think there was never much between Neuer and Adler. I'd take Neuer at this point but Adler is far from out of the picture. He just got back from injury and will surely be "recalled" as the season progresses. I don't think he was "dropped" as much as he was just given a "break" by Loew and time to get back to his best.

1 person likes this.