Die Werkself: Bayer Leverkusen 2010-11 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by orng, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

I had forgotten about Heyduk playing at Leverkusen. He didn't exactly distinguish himself in his time there. And I think Claudio was more successful at Wolfsburg, even becoming captain for awhile.

My company has an office in Dusseldorf, but who wants to be a fan of Fortuna. Not me! hah :D

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Frankie Hejduk was actually doing quite nicely at Leverkusen under Christoph Daum.

He'd earned a starting position and was improving by the week.

After idiot Berti Vogts came in for Daum is when Frankie's fortunes at Bayer took a dive.

3. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My favorite American defender ever.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, because Hyppia was still new. Hyppia has a season under his belt now.

Or maybe it is a language issue? I would understand that better.

BTW, just because a player was a captain or vice-captain one season, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be one the next season.

It depends on how each club decides the positions.

Of course, it seems this decision has been made at Bayer.

I think it is a mistake to leave Rolfes as captain, but we'll see what comes of it.

5. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The role of Captain is overrated in a lot of situations. Bayer has some experienced people who are good footballing minds in Hyppia, Freidrich, and Rolfes. All of them work together to keep the younger players where they need to be. So many people put so much emphasis on captain, but a lot of teams just give it to the player with the most caps because numerous people lead on the field, not just one man.

6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who are these teams?? I'd like to know.

I don't know of ANY Bundesliga team who give the captain's armband to a guy just because "he has the most caps."

7. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! Good choice on your part.

Footy, you might be on to something with the language issue. I watched an interview the club did with Hyypia during the Zillertal training camp, and Hyypia's responses were all in English. I'm not sure if that plays into anything at all, but I figured it's worth noting. For the record, I'd give the armband to Hyypia.

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so you are doing promotion or marketing for Bayer 04 in the USA. Good job:)

yes, you told me about your club membership. But why are you not going to renew it once again? O.K maybe you can not use the advantages of the membership because you live in the USA.

what do you say to Ballack return to Leverkusen?

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah, Fortuna Düsseldorf would be not good choise:)..and FC Köln, this carnival soccer club..hm..I think you have done a good decision..Leverkusen is the best club at Rhine:)

of course you could have decide for Bayern Munich as well..but this is not that so close to office of your company in Düsseldorf....plus Leverkusen has Ballack now, famous world class star...Bayer 04 is good bundesliga club

enjoy this

and welcome here at this board.

10. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if the international membership fee is worth it. Given that everything is in German, it makes things slightly difficult for me to get my money's worth. ;) The highlights and scarf would be nice, but I can get both elsewhere for a lot less than what the club is asking.

As far as Ballack goes, I'm not sure just yet. It's cool to see him return to the club, but our midfield is looking extremely crowded right now. However, because we will be playing in three competitions this season, extra depth certainly can't hurt. And besides, how can you say no to having Michael Ballack on your team? I'm sure he'll add a stabilizing element to the team (at least I hope he does).

11. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wasn't referring to any Bundesliga teams.

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you referring to anyone in a major footballing nation??

13. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Bayern has too many fans on Big Soccer who are more interested in making derogatory comments about others rather than anything else. It's not always enjoyable browsing their forum. So no Bayern for me. :p

14. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bayern forum used to be enjoyable to read. Now it's just an out of control off-topic forum.

15. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Predominantly in Spain and Portugal from what I recall.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Name teams man. Don't accuse someone of just handing the captain's armband to whomever has most caps and then not name who you're talking about.

It looks like you're just doing a Jim Carrey.......

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I stay there because despite what you say being actually true, it is still where the most football gets discussed there too.

Believe me, I hate all the off-topic crap myself, but even with all that, they discuss more of what's going on with their club than anyone else here.

Simply because there are more of them.

And yes, it can get heated there as "Footy Magoo" says. There are some who just look to attack. He might mean me as part of that, but that's not my concern.

I deal with it in the Bayern forums because things tend to get heated when people stand up for their own opinions.

As long as I can read a post of mine and see that I backed up my opinion with facts, I don't worry about anyone else's disapproval.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From "Bild's" ticker:

Central defender Lukas Sinkiewicz is moving from Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen to 2nd Bundesliga club FC Augsburg.

[​IMG]

The 24-year old, who moved from 1. FC Köln to Leverkusen in 2007, had a valid contract in Leverkusen through this coming season.

Sinkiewicz has signed in Augsburg just for this coming season.

Neither club has commented on the deal's details.

Sinkiewicz said, "For me, it was a wonderful period in Leverkusen. However, I was not satisfied with my situation."

The defender was held back in Leverkusen by injuries more than anything. He suffered a torn ACL in 2008 and in 2009, suffered from torn muscles and a viral infection. He had no chance at winning a regular starting spot in Leverkusen.

19. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works out well for all parties involved. Good luck, Lukas!

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If FCA finally plays to its potential, he'll be back in the 1st Bundesliga for the 2011-2012 season.

Even if he doesn't, since he only signed a one-season deal, he still might be back in the 1st Bundesliga for the 2011-2012 season.

21. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-0 win for Leverkusen in the friendly against Hassia Bingen. Risse and Kadlec both scored one each, with Derdiyok scoring twice.

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice. Hoping to see more of Risse this season.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So this is what I expect the first and second team to look like for the upcoming season:

----------------------Adler---------------------

Schwaab----Friedrich----Hyypia-------Castro

-----------Rolfes/Vidal-----Ballack--------------

--Augusto--------------------------Barnetta-----

-------------Kiessling----Derdiyok-----------------

Or they can go with three in midfield and one striker up top or Augusto behind two strikers. Lots of tactical options and plenty of depth (See second team)

-----------------------Giefer/Fernandez-------------------

Sarpei------------Vida-------Reinartz-------------Kadlec

------------Vidal-----Bender-----Ballitsch---------------

----Risse-----------------------------------------Sam-------

-----------------------Helmes------------------------------

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Zurich district attorney’s office has opened an investigation concerning Eren Derdiyok of Bayer Leverkusen.

[​IMG]

Prosecutor Manuel Kehrli confirmed the Swiss striker is suspected of aggravated assault.

Derdiyok is accused of hitting a Zurich man in the head with a glass bottle last year at a Zurich night club. The man suffered a serious injury to his left eye.

Derdiyok, who was still a member of FC Basel at the time, could be facing up to ten years in prison.

EDIT: Click here for the original column in German.

25. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. He's not having the best summer, is he?