Die Werkself: Bayer Leverkusen 2010-11 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by orng, Jun 30, 2010.

1. BeMassiveSoccer

Jul 27, 2007
    Relegation Zone
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The entrance page to their website shows a pretty sweet pic of their passionate fans.

2. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thank you for the insight. What is the city of Leverkusen like? I hear it isn't very eye-catching, but that it's very close to Cologne and Dusseldorf.

3. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, as some of you know, I've been nagging people on the main Bundesliga forum about my quest for finding the right Bundesliga club. My search has ended and here is my final post from that thread:

I look forward to contributing what I can Big Soccer for a very long time.

4. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The two best things about Leverkusen besides Bayer are:

a) It is on the Rhein.

b) It is close to Köln and Düsseldorf.​

Congrats on choosing your club!

5. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks! BTW, Insomnia is killing me right now. It's 4:47 am here in Los Angeles and I have work at 8. Luckily, I have a short day of editing today.

6. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, Hw. You made a fantastic choice.

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Speaking personally, watching while drunk and even singing is not my thing. I know the team likes atmosphere, even though when they tune in they tune out the crowd. I really like to follow the match closely, and anything that distracts from this isn't good. So Leverkusen might have more purist fans than others? :p

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!

Bayer has a very young fan base when compared to most of the other BL clubs as their fans who were in their teens and in their early-20s during their "glory days" of the early 2000s are grown and bringing their kids and friends now.

They have their share of "drunk fans" too, but like just about everything else at Bayer, it is smaller than some of the older, more "traditional" clubs.

I don't know why people seem to think you have to be drunk and sing to enjoy the atmosphere at a football match.

I feel it when I'm there. I like to watch the game develop and try to predict how the two coaches will react to swings in match momentum.

I do my drinking and eating before and after the match.

9. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yeah, exactly. I go really quiet during a game that I want to actually watch.

Drinking and eating is ok, but nothing that will have to make me take my eyes off it...;)

So I like to watch with people who know the game, that will be ready for a one liner after a successful move or a well thwarted attempt. I really couldn't watch with people who only see the ball and not the movement and everything going on around them.
    Even on TV, you can still follow the off-ball stuff reasonably well.

10. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Wow. I thought I was an oddball for wanting to concentrate on the game rather than getting wasted and having only a peripheral awareness of the action on the pitch. It's nice to know there are other folks who feel the same way.

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You'll find that you came to the right sub-forum then, with time...:)

12. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The friendly at St. Pauli ended 1-1. Asamoah scored for them, while Helmes equalized for us.

13. pogrebnyuchenko

Jun 16, 2010
    at home
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    is rolfes still gonna be the captain ? or will it be handed to ballack

14. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope, rolfes keeps the captaincy, and ballack is ok with that

15. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was already answered, Rolfes will remain the captain.

16. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, however, according to the Express, Rolfes might not be available at the beginning of the year. So, if he is out, Ballack will be interim captain.

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that's just funny now ;)

18. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's assuming Ballack will be ready by the start of the season.

19. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the highlights of the Carl Zeiss Jena friendly. We wore our new black jerseys in this one and it was the first time I'd seen them worn during a game. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what I think about them yet. I really liked the red of last year's jersey, so it will be an adjustment getting used to a predominately black strip.

Also, I watched the highlights of the St. Pauli friendly. The renovations going on at the Millerntor look great.

20. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If they both aren't ready, Reinartz or Vidal will start at DM and Freidrich will Captain.

21. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not arguing who will or won't be the captain in scenario A, B, or C. I'm just saying that it's possible that neither one of them is ready to play against BVB. However, I agree with you.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With that scenario, why wouldn't Hyppia be interim captain??

23. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    welcome to this board and leverkusen forum
    o.k..you see, that i´m fan of Bayern Munich...yes this is true..but my second favorite
    team is Leverkusen...I live in Leverkusen..but my family come from Munich....and I have two appartments: one in Leverkusen and one in Munich...so i like both teams..
    maybe Munich more...but i´m also Ballack fan..and he is in Leverkusen..however, my first team stay Munich..

whenI moved to Leverkusen years ago, I have enjoyed this unique soccer city...everything here was only about soccer and Bayer company...Bayer - Aspirin and Co and of course soccer...very nice soccer community...Leverkusen is city famous because of its biggest chemical and pharmaceutical company BAYER and soccer...it is city at Rhine..between
    Cologne and Düsseldorf....I used to live in Cologne as well...but I like more amosphere in Leverkusen...wonderful city...despite may would day Aspirin city:)...but are is nice..
    when I want to enjoy big city I can go to Cologne or Düsseldorf...during weekeds i´m often
    in Munich..

but I like Leverkusen...stadium is also very wonderful..and Ballack said he felt like home here

if you need any information about Leverkusen, let me know

P.S how have you become Leverkusen and Germany fan?...it is not so common in the USA
    we have few American fans here...but not so much....In Leverkusen played also Donovan,
    Heyduk and Reyna, so many Americans know Leverkusen because of Donovan mostly

what about you?

welcome at Leverkusen board

bltleo
    Germany
    this frech and cheeky German lady:)

24. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bltleo,

He just recently became a Leverkusen fan. He was looking for a Bundesliga club to start following and I managed (at least I like to think so;)) to convert him to the Bayer 04 side. :D

By the way, did I tell you that the club ended up giving me a 2 week club membership back in March? It was a nice gesture on their part for sure. Not sure if I'm going to renew once the season starts but I'll consider it at least.

25. Hollyweird

Hollyweird New Member

May 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Freidrich was captain last year when Rolfes was out.