Die Nationalmannschaft: World Cup

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Wotan, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When reading posts on the German team---there seems to be lots of question marks. This guys been playing good, but is injured..or this guy's got great potential, but has been off his game lately. OK----for those of you --"In the Know"---please-project your German starting team---it seems I could safely "plug in"---Kahn as GK Ballack & Shweinsteiger in Metzelder & Mersacker at defense----& Podolski as striker----after that......it's all guesswork. :confused: Please, you German soccer experts.....please help! Thanks :)

2. spencercs

spencercs New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    London
    Re: Germany's Projected Starting Team

i reckon the starting XI will be

-------------------Kahn

Freidrich---Metzelder---Mertsacker---Lahm

------------------Frings

------Deisler---------------Schweinsteiger

-----------------Ballack

---------Klose--------------Podolski

3. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

-------------------Kahn-------------------
    Friedrich---Metzelder---Mertesacker---Lahm
    Deisler-----Ballack----Frings----Schweinsteiger
    -----------Klose----------Podolski-----------

This looks like the most reasonable starting lineup if everyone stays healthy and if Lahm continues to make good progress after his severe injury.

Kahn should be pretty much unquestioned, as is Friedrich on the right, since Hinkel and Owomoyela didn't perform too well recently. Also I don't really see any real contenders for the central defence. Maybe Huth, but he'll still be behind M&M and isn't a regular at Chelsea. The left fullback position is the weakest one in terms of depth. Lahm is awesome when fit, but behind him there is hardly any real competition. Jansen did quite well, but is still nowhere near Lahm. In midfield I see Deisler and Schneider competing for the spot on the right wing, but personally I think Deisler is a little ahead of Schneider who didn't do as good as Deisler in recent Germany matches. Ballack is definately there if not injured. Frings has to compete with Hamann and Ernst, but it looks as if Hamann is out of favour and Ernst is still behind Frings. Schweinsteiger on the Left is also pretty certain. Berhind him there is Hitzelsperger who has the advantage of being left footed and he isn't called the hammer for no reason. But technically he isn't as good as Schweinsteiger. Another alternative for the left would be Schneider, who played there a couple of times recently but never really looked very convincing on that position. As for the forwards, I think Podolski is fixed even though he has some problems in Bundesliga right now. But he's always performed great for the national team. As second striker I see Klose ahead of Kuranyi, as he is in a great form. But then again, Kuranyi is also mostly doing well for the national team. I think the biggest fight will be between Schneider & Deisler on the right and Klose & Kuranyi up front.

On a side note: I think Klinsmann should also consider taking Scholl to the World Cup, he would make a remarkable sub. His technical skills are still beyond any other German Player and he can play on any offensive position.

4. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Thanks--I DO agree with you about Scholl. I had thought of that myself. Has lots of experience & can have a "settling" influence on the team. Glad to see no one has the bulky, slow Asamoah starting-----I don't think he should even be on the squad. Kuranyi has been a big dissapointment last couple yrs.

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

I wouldn't mind having Scholl as a backup midfielder, but I think what you get from Scholl is the same that you get from Schneider, and Schneider plays regularly and can be a spark as well.

As for Asamoah, he has his uses. He's a good supporting striker, he won't score many goals for sure, but he's a good dribbler, he's fast (not slow), has a great engine and will work his socks off.

Kuranyi will always seemingly disappoint people, but he's a good header and scorer for the NT. That being said, I still think Podolski and Klose are the best strikeforce for Germany because they complement each other better. Germany's A2 option should be Kuranyi and PODOLSKI, not Klose, because I think Klose and Kuranyi are two similar players.

For Defense, unfortunately it has to be Friedrich-Mertesacker-Metzelder-Lahm. Out of this bunch, I think Friedrich is the best defender out of all of them, which isn't really saying much. This is one of the worst back 4s we've ever sent to the WC, but I have faith in them. We play attacking football, we will score goals. It's up to them to just hold the line, especially the back two. I would like to see Fathi and not Jansen as the backup LB, because if we are ahead, I would be more assured with Fathi in defense than the more attack minded Jansen.

In the next 2 or 3 friendlies, I'd like to see Kehl in DM spot, with Fathi as a backup LB and Lahm starting. I would also like to see Klose and Podolski get some games together, I don't know how many times they've been on the same field, but I don't think its very many.

6. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Who for Germany in WC 2006?

What players do you think already have a sure place in the 22 player list for Germany in WC 2006?? (witout considering circumstances like injury or other problems alike)

My opinion:

-Ballack
    -Deisler
    -Podolski
    -Friederich
    -Lahm
    -Schweinsteiger
    -Schneider
    -Borowski
    -Klose
    -Kuranyi
    -Kahn
    -Lehmann

7. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Re: Who for Germany in WC 2006?

I merged a couple threads as I don't want a million threads on the projected lineups for the WC.

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

it is your job to merge million threads:)

I was while away at american board....finding out what they think about
    World Cup etc.

I think we can win the World Cup...of course there are many nationalities that have better players than we...but to win a game does not depends only on quality of players...there are much more factors...and few mistakes in a game can make "miracle" outcome - in positive or negative meaning...
    it depends how our boys will be motivated...and they are motivated...
    with good team spirit they can win the whole thing..

bltleo:)

9. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

I don't think Lehmann will be there. I think he said that he would retire from the NT if he wouldn't becom #1 keeper. And that I don't see coming.

10. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hmm...I wonder if Klinsmann may be also looking at Kevin-Prince Boateng. He's been playing real well for us, at only 19 years old. I know its really too early to tell, but maybe something to look for in the future at least.

11. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Apparently his uncle played for Ghana and his mother is a distant relative of Helmut Rahn. Sounds promising... :)

12. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Kahn-Freidrich-Metzelder-Mertsacker-Lahm
    Frings-Deisler-Schweinsteiger-Ballack
    -Klose-Podolski

I like this line up, they will be a tough team to play.

13. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ghana or Germany? Boateng will play for Germany.

Ich spiele nur für Deutschland!
    Herthas Boateng läßt die WM mit Ghana sausen
    Von MICHAEL KRANZ

Bei Hertha hat sich Boateng (r., im Zweikampf mit Mihai Nesu, im UEFA-Cup-Spiel am 15.12) schon einen Stammplatz im Mittelfeld erobert

Berlin - Ein junger Mann und eine schwere Entscheidung...

Herthas Mittelfeld-Juwel Kevin-Prince Boateng (18) hatte zwei verlockende Aussichten: Spiele ich mit Ghana bei der WM 2006? Oder warte ich auf meine Chance in der deutschen Nationalmannschaft?

Jetzt hat sich Boateng entschieden. Er pfeift auf die Weltmeisterschaft - und spielt NUR für Deutschland! Boateng zur B.Z.: "Ghana ist zwar die Heimat meines Vaters und der Verband hat gefragt, ob ich für sie bei der Weltmeisterschaft spielen will. Aber im Grunde meines Herzens bin ich Deutscher, deshalb werde ich nicht für Ghana spielen."

Schön für Klinsi - ein Riesen-Talent entscheidet sich für unsere Elf. Boatengs Verlust wäre auch bitter gewesen. Der Sohn einer deutschen Mutter hat bisher alle Junioren-Teams des DFB durchlaufen. Entwickelt er sich weiter, ist der Ruf vom Bundestrainer des DFB nur eine Frage der Zeit.

Einfach aber war die Entscheidung für Boateng nicht. "Viele rieten mir zur WM, schließlich sei es eine einmalige Chance, in Deutschland beim Turnier der Weltbesten zu spielen." Doch Boateng entscheidet sich für Deutschland! Bundestrainer Jürgen Klinsmann spielte dabei eine Rolle. Boateng: "Er gibt der Jugend eine Chance und gibt ihnen damit Selbstvertrauen. Meine Zeit kommt noch. Es wäre die Erfüllung meines größten Traums, mal in der deutschen Nationalelf zu spielen."

Und Träume werden ja manchmal gaaannz schnell wahr...

http://bz.berlin1.de/aktuell/sport/hertha/051227/hertha_boateng.html

good decision, Kevin!

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Re: Ghana or Germany? Boateng will play for Germany.

link and one paragraph will do.

15. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

----------------Lehmann-----------------
    --Friedrich--Metzelder--Mertesacker--Lahm
    -----------------Kehl---------------------
    ------Deisler------------Schweinsteiger---
    ----------------Ballack-------------------
    -----------------------Podolski-----------
    ---------Klose----------------------------

the bench:

Hildebrand
    Jansen
    Huth
    Wörns
    Frings
    Borowski
    Neuville
    Kuranyi

16. Osnator

Osnator Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Osnabrück, Germany
    If the opponent is considered to be an easy one:

----------------Kahn-----------------
    --Lahm--Metzelder--Wörns--Jansen----
    ------Deisler------------Schweinsteiger---

If the opponent is considered to be a tough one:

--Lahm--Metzelder--Wörns--Jansen----
    ---------Kehl-------Frings/Ernst---------
    ---Deisler---------------Schweinsteiger---
    ----------------Klose---------------------

17. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Good decision Kevin! :cool:

From what I've seen of the kid, he looks to be a megatalent...

18. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    My ideal lineup....

-------------------Kahn-------------------------

--Arne---Merte------------Metze---Lahm------

-----Deisler-------------Schweini---------

--------------Ballack-------------------

---------------------Poldi--------------

-------------Klose-------------------

19. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    There are no easy opponents for Germany anymore since arround 1996 or so ;).

20. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Respect for the teams, but a worldchampion plays its own tournament.

How or however, no remorse and no mercy.

21. __Dynamite__

__Dynamite__ Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Krusa (Denmark)
    Yeah, that`s what the english say ;)

22. dovifat

dovifat New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Is there any particular reason Klinsmann never calls up Malik Fathi ? If Lahm returns or even surpasses his former level he's first choice of course, but Fathi is a constant and proven defender, something you can't say about Jansen and whomever else Juergen fielded in that position. Arguably Marvin Matip could have been called up as a backup CD as well.

Only reason i could imagine is Eilts kicked his ass for poaching half of his U21 team already. ( In theory these guys could choose to play for Ghana/Turkey still, but that's highly unlikely... )

23. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The turkish coach wants Malik fathi to play for Turkey. Fathi always said that he wants to play for Germany but right now, he has no hopes that Klinsmann nominates him. Who knows, maybe he'll say yes to Turkey someday! :(

24. dovifat

dovifat New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    I'm certainly not fond of the tactics of certain European teams to cap players eligible to play for other counties once and let them rot afterwards. But at this point Lahm/Jansen as offensive options and Fathi as defensive one look like a no brainer to me. Am i missing anything ?

25. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald

--Friedrich--Metzelder--Ismael ;)--Lahm
    -----------------Borowski---------------------
    ------Deisler---------------- Schweinsteiger---