Die Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft News & Discussion Thread - Road to Russia 2018 Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Cris 09, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    i would love a fifth star to Germany, i'll only be cheering for Germany next year lol

looking at the history Germany could've had eight stars :eek:

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My 2018 WC squad as it stands today:
    GK: Manuel Neuer, Marc Andre ter Stegen, Kevin Trapp
    RB: Joshua Kimmich
    LB: Jonas Hector
    RB/LB backup: Benjamin Henrichs
    CB: Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Niklas Sülè, Antonio Rüdiger, Benedikt Höwedes
    DM: Julian Weigl, Sami Khedira
    CM1: Toni Kroos, Leon Goretzka
    CM2: Ilklay Gündoğan, Mesut Özil
    RW: Marco Reus, Julian Brandt
    CF/SS: Thomas Müller, Timo Werner, Lars Stindl
    LW: Leroy Sanè

Notable Omissions:
    Gomez was by far the most difficult omission, and was basically done because Müller was a must, Werner was too impressive not to take, and I love Stindl's versatility. In reality, Gomez will probably get picked and Stindl will stay at home. Which I understand because he offers different traits from the others.

Draxler, because Löw and the media love him, will be picked in reality over Brandt, but I can't understand why.

Emre Can is at a loss because he's not as experienced as Khedira and not as good as Weigl.

BorisG repped this.
  3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    There was a quote from some pundit posted around here not too long ago that went along the lines of "Emre Can is an asshole. But assholes help win you titles". And fwiw, he had an impact in winning the Confederations Cup. Most notably in the matches against Cameroon, Mexico, and the Chile finale with his perhaps unorthodox but meaningful play.

A winning team needs an agitator to throw the opposition off their game. Khedira has the experience but I don't think he pisses people off enough. Gundogan and Reus are no doubt fine players on their day. But are both highly injury prone, and have bad luck especially when international tournaments are present. Granted I think we all wish they are available whenever possible, but inside we kind of already hold certain reservations on what may already happen.

By the time Euros 2020 comes around, Germany will possibly have a record number of douchebag players with the likes of Emre Can, Werner, Sane, Gnabry, Rüdiger, Weiser, and Selke. Müller is still here and is basically universally hated by everyone else who doesn't support Germany. While Draxler will go off and cheat on his girlfriend again.

P to the Wee repped this.
  4. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

I love this, hope for another repeat next year

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We only needed one asshole to win the 2014 WC... :D
    [​IMG]
    I don't see the big deal with Can to be honest. His biggest contribution in the Confed was to get fouled for a red against Cameroon. He was pretty abject against France in the Euro too, offering neither defensive presence nor stability in possession. To be honest, I thought even Rudy leapfrogged Can with his performance as a 6 in Russia, which demonstrated impressive consistency and stability. And IMO, others like Dahoud offer more potential than Can, even if Gündoğan was injured.

6. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes. I think Emre Can will be called

He offers certain needed elements in the midfield: toughness, physicality n hard tackles. His coverage on the pitch is also decent

He is probably the direct replacement of Khedira

Weigl will be there only if Gundogan is injured. We have many deep lying/ holding midfielders. If we wanna play more direct, yeah I think Emre Can will be more suited than Weigl

Last year when Khedira was banned, Loew used Emre Can; Weigl missed this years Confed Cup due to injury.. i think there's some difference made.

With Kroos n Gundogan in the roster, Weigl can play at 4 but he doesn't have enough work-rate m, pace n physicality to compliment Kroos

We are likely to play 343 with only two CMs in the middle. We won't be playing 3 CMs in a 433

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Other notable contributions of Emre Can during the CC were assisting Amin Younes on his first ever Germany international goal, and wrecking havoc against the entire XI of Chile in that scrum during the closing minutes of the finale.

Sure he'll never be the poster child of the NT but Can brings a certain set of intangibles that is required to fight through the difficult stages of tournaments.

From the pre and post match interviews, Can also demonstrates elements of never being afraid to back up for his teammates and speak his mind. Sometimes you need that cocky, arrogant SOB.

881643855761879040 is not a valid tweet id

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you guys are all forgetting that Can is the one who started that whole tying goal vs Chile. Made the pass just at the right time to a rushing Hector who then crossed to Stindl.

from 0:56-1:03

dips82 repped this.
  9. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brandt has done nothing to prove himself better that Draxler yet

Weigl has done nothing to prove himself better than Can yet

timh19 repped this.
  10. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Kroos, Boateng, Hummels, Neuer. I believe these 4 are sure to start for Germany next year if they are fit?

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Blacks shorts as well!

It's not my favorite jersey design but maybe it will grow on me

13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Sifrit repped this.
  14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No M. Dahoud but S. Rudy

Dahoud has break into this Dortmund team in short time, otherwise he will not be part of the team going to Russia.

15. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good to see Lowe not picking up players by their name anymore

Gotze not called up
    Mustafi dropped
    Howedes not called up
    Sane ignored

16. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dahoud is young. He may not be in Loew's plans until the 2020 EC.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Goetze just got back. Not sure BVB would even be cool with that.

Sifrit repped this.
  18. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to Bosz he can't play 90 minutes yet. He will surely be invited again if he stays fit.

Höwedes was injued and hasn't played in a while. Additionally, he seems to be busy with his transfer to Juve. He will definitely be back as long as he doesn't end up on their bench.

I wonder what's going on with Sané, though. Is this a punishment for declining the call up to the Confed Cup?

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Every time I see this

[​IMG]

It reminds me of this

[​IMG]

nekkibasara and pikuchan repped this.
  20. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Draxler is benched again for PSG. If this continues he should be in real danger of missing the WC.

21. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He will probably not miss the World Cup but he needs to get out of PSG before the window closes next week

22. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Yeah, Draxler should definitely move. There is no way that he gets past Neymar, the pricetag that PSG paid for Neymar alone ensures that!

23. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    Having watched almost every game of his during his Arsenal tenure, I am of the opinion that Mesut Ozil really needs to move from London. Hope he has advisors who can tell him the same. His career has stalled at Arsenal with a manager who is just happy to have him and not keen on doing the pushing required to elevate him to the next level.

Ozil has almost perfect technique and aided by his vision and his impeccable passing he should be performing much better than he is. The truth is that, although he isnt without his flaws, Arsenal are a team that have been generally stuck in a rut for far too long and Ozil is suffering because of it. Wenger wont leave and Arsenal wont change -- that is the truth.

The contract impasse might do him good to consider a change of scenery on a free transfer next year, but I fear it might be too late. I know Loew trusts him a lot but Kroos has already unseated him as Loew's number one pick for two years now. With Draxler's good show at the Confed Cup and Loew's general move towards a 3 at the back formation, the worst case scenario for Ozil might be having to play second fiddle at the World Cup.

Thoughts?

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Draxler won't be seeing much playing time at PSG either. Been benched last few matches on account of Neymar.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bild say Erner has surpassed Gomez as 1st choice CF prior to todays game in Prague