did you watch the original nasl

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ranul, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    where you a fan of the old nasl

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well your poll/ thread ask three different questions.

I remember the old NASL and I watched a couple NASL games as a kid but only when I visited my family in Tampa. I wouldn't really considered myself as a fan though.

so not sure how to anwser

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I answered like the poll asked, I do remember NASL, I went to maybe 2 Diplomats games, I wasn't a fan.

4. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was born right after the league folded. But growing up playing soccer I always heard about the Strikers and how Pele used to play in the league etc. etc.

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I went to Chiefs games, a couple each of indoor and outdoor. I watched them on TV and listened on the radio. I also watched NASL games on TVS and ABC, and CBS, when they would show games. We didn't have cable, so I couldn't see the games on ESPN and USA.

6. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had season tickets for the Strikers and used to watch televised league games on TVS and ABC. I followed the NASL a lot more closely than I do MLS, probably because I had a local team.

7. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i was a young kid when NASL folded but i wouldn't have been a youth soccer player and now a soccer fan if it wasn't for the NASL...

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't live near a team (outside of Pittsburgh) but used to watch games on tv all the time. We got cable tv when I was in 7th game. So used to watch the games on ABC, ESPN and USA. In addition we also got WOR/ NY and WGN / Chicago, so used to watch the Cosmos and Sting. I got to watch a lot of games and became a big fan.

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    No, because I grew up in Europe and over there they did not really care about the NASL

10. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was 5 when it dissolved. My parents went to Timbers matches in the 70's, but when we moved from Portland in 1979 I don't think the family followed the league at all. I was born in 1979, so yeah... no.

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember ever going to an NASL match. Too young, I guess. What league were the LA Salsa in? I think they were in the first soccer match I ever saw on TV.

12. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The first sporting event I remember going to was the Whitecaps vs. Dallas Tornado in 1978 at Empire Stadium.

13. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

14. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    went to the Old Toronto Blizzard games at Exhibition Stadium then Varsity stadium before the league went under..If was great soccer for the time
    the league just spent way too much on players salaries.

15. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was 11 when I saw Pele come into the league in 75. I never went to any games but i watched all the Cosmos games on TV until 1984.

I missed the league until MLS was born in 1996.

16. Hunter.S.Soccer

Apr 13, 2006
    Tampa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I was a teenager in Detroit. I followed the Detroit Express for their short existence... Trevor Francis, Gus Moffat, Keith Furphy. I went to a couple games at the Pontiac Plasticdome. I still have one of the Kick magazine game programs - circa 1979ish (it's in a box, so I'm not sure of the exact date).

I even played a few pre-game youth exibitions with my U-16 team prior to some of the indoor games also played at the Silvedome.

With the NASL, there was no real predecessor to comapre to, so I thought it was great. In reality, the quality of play was probably close to the current NASL. MLS is liekly a better level of play.

I also remember the game being played on that awful, produce-department-like, astro-turf. The field was little more than 55 yeard wide... the ball would run out of touch often on that fast, narrow pitch. The English players, and there were plenty on loan from the English 2nd and 3rd division, would try a slide tackle on that fake turf and wind up with huge rug burns. They would do that once, then never again... so the player's fear of a painful rug burn may have also detracted from the style of play.

It was amusing. It's nastolgic to look back. Ultimately, I'm happy that we've upgraded since then. Still, the old NASL helped put soccer on the map in the US.

17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    What I remember from interviews with the european players is that the paychecks were very good and the astroturf very painful

18. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a big Aztecs fan. Heck I even got plastered a time or two with George Best. I used to drink at his bar in Hermosa Beach. At the time it was called Besties. Now it is called the Underground. BTW the day Bestie died the Best Coat of Arms which was on the wall fell off. True story;)

19. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW the LA Salsa was one of the original USL teams in the old A League:)

20. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    I went to a few Atlanta Chiefs games at Fulton County Stadium. I couldn't have been more than 5, but I remember going there and thinking it was a big deal. I have a poloroid somewhere of me on a very mustached George Nanchoff who I thought was the greatest player in the universe because he took a picture with me. I had an NASL lamp in my bedroom, that was basically a plastic NASL ball with a lampshade through it. I remember going with my mom to the mall and getting it at either Richs or JCPenney. I didn't pick it out or say I wanted it, my mom was just decorating my room and figured the room needed a lamp and that was the one to have. I think I had it for about 15 years. I wish I still did!

21. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aztec fan and loved our other LA Darby vs California Surf.. Managed to catch some SD Kickers games and went to the Soccer Bowl in SD , which I think was the Cosmos vs. Seattle..
    Watch the Aztecs move to the ROse Bowl, then to the Colisseum , where they then died.
    Always good teams, but never drew really well except for the 4th of July game and could never make the finals in the time I watched.
    Shootouts from 35 yard line etc..
    I prefer MLS by a landside

22. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Another big Aztecs fan. Saw them at ELAC (East LA College), the Coliseum, then the Rose Bowl, but boycotted the team the last year in '81 when they moved back to the Coliseum & got rid of orange as the team color. They tried to go Brazilian & went tits up instead. Even got to be part of the color guard in '78 when Best presented Pele with an award. Got Best's & about seven other Aztec players' autographs & got to shake hands with Beckenbauer, which was a dream come true for a 12 year old kid back then.

The Aztecs had Rinus Michels as coach for the '79 & '80 seasons, and players like George Best, Steve David, Charlie Cooke, Bob Rigby, and then Johan Cruyff, Javier Aguirre, Poli Garcia, Mihalj Keri, Chris Dangerfield, Wim Suubier, Luis Fernando, John McGrane, & Bobby Sibbald put on the orange (& blue).

23. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember coming home from work and my Dad says " who is Johan Cruyff?"
    He was on the front page of the paper. I went to his first game, I believe it was against Rocherster Lancers ( gets blury now) his first 2 shots on goal were goals...