Did Lalas Do Enough to Get Called Back?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GoDC, Aug 5, 2002.

1. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I am sure I will get flamed for this one, but for my money Lalas was the best central defender on the field Saturday. Sure the MLS team scored 3 goals in the second half when he was out there but hell he was so busy covering up for the mistakes Burns was making that he barely had a chance. He was forced to cover two thirds of the field. If they had played Lalas out there with a defender who had a clue, then he would have stood out even more.

In addition, he was unstoppable on dead ball plays int he offensive end. One header cleared off the line and another calling on an unbelievable save from Cannon. On the second one, he cleared two defenders out of the way as well as McBride and powered the ball on goal. You may disagree but I think he moved ahead of Llamosa, Bocanegra, and Sanneh and should start in the middle with Pope when we start playing serious games again.

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He has no illusions about his abilities. He even joked
    when Zigi praised his ability to read the game, that he's slow and has to play smart, he has no choice.

It's good to know he still has zest for the game and is in good shape -- looking like a players these days and less like a ZZ Topp wannabe.

We might even need to call on him in a pinch against TFC opponents. We could do worse. But I think he'd admit that he's way down the list against top international sides. I think he's as good as Goose, for what that's worth.

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Lalas is past it. Of course, he's better than Agoos, but I don't expect to see Jeff out there in any games that matter at this point either. Alexi is borderline over the hill now, and by 2006 he'd be a gigantic liability. I do think that if he hadn't temporarily retired and instead concentrated on his game the last couple of years, he may well have had a decent shot at going to Korea.

Besides, this was a poorly played, fun-fest, not exactly anything to use in judging players.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Ahead of Sanneh? How was Tony playing the last time you saw him? I think it was a little bit more impressive than Lalas's effort in an exhibition.

5. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding, right?

6. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    how old is Lalas?

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas is old, slow, and not terribly talented. He knows it, Bruce knows it, and so does almost everyone else.

Still, Lalas is smart, and good with his head.

Please close the thread.

8. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    So we close threads because you disagree with them??

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    While I appreciate what Lalas did many moons ago, I don't think he'll be part of any future games for the national team.

He knows it as well and seems to accept his role in US Soccer.

Is he really one of the best defenders in the league?

He might be but his inclusion on the USA squad probably had more to do with TeamUSA looking for bodies (note the appearance of Burns) than his having a shot at future glory.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely. He and others were there as an honor for their past contributions, not to try to make the team for '06.

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just went thru a World Cup cycle and Lalas played no part in it. He is waaay past it.

Now I was very happy to see Lalas on the field and I was happy to see that he played OK, but let's not get carried away here. This was a kind of testimonial match for him, nothing more.

13. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

No we should close threads that are absolutley moronic Eg this thread.

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe pairing him and Agoos in central defense is the way to go.

Sachin

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    And it wouldn't have been moronic without your contribution. Thank you.

Sachin

16. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Good one! How about a your momma joke to top it off?

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Since you asked:

Yo mamma is so fat...

She jumped up in the air and got stuck.

Sachin

18. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Umm don't think you should be using a fat joke do ya? Only thing I feel bad for here is that '95 US jersey you keep wearing. I can hear the polyester fibers screaming all the way in NY.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought those were the kittens you were killing in the bowels of humanity.

Sachin

20. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Would you like a rope or a shovel?

21. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Knock it off you two. I am trying to have a valid NT discussion here.

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the long and the short of it...

23. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    You will not get a valid response because the question you asked was pointless.

24. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Yo momma so fat that when she dances, the band skips.

I think Lalas still has game. But, I don't think he could fit into the plans for 2006. Thus, I don't think he'll get much serious action in the nation team as all games between now and 2006 are basically audtion/practice for 2006.

I agree that a performance like his from a younger player would warrant a better future look.

25. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    And why is it pointless to ask if a former National Team defender who played in Serie A and is now playing in MLS, could play again for the National Team??