Did Hoddle make a mistake in leaving Gazza out of the 98 World Cup

Discussion in 'England' started by greengrass81, Jun 1, 2016.

1. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    According to Michael Owen he believes Hoddle made the right decision in leaving Gazza at home . I remember England in that tournament and they didn't play very well , they certainly struggled to hold on to the ball in stark contrast when they had Gazza in midfield they held on to the ball well and carved open the italian defence when they earned a well deserved draw against italy in turin to qualify for the world cup .

I haven't seen Englnd play as well since that day and a large part of it was down to Gazza , not only his ability to keep the ball and play clever passes but his team mates performance went up a leve,l there was a lot of movement around him as oppossed to when England were in France 98, when they were very static in midfield . He seemed to inspire a team,so much so that opposition players used to remark on how much better England played when he was on his game.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Yes it was a huge mistake seeing as he was our best playmaker. He also left Le Tissier behind as well..
    and picked players like the likes of Merson and Rob Lee.

Though we got stiffed by the referee in the knockout game. Disallowed a good goal and gave us a soft red .

3. estwst

estwst New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    usa
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    yes it was a big mistake

4. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just after watching england vs brazil in tournoi de france from 1997 . Gazza is 30 and supposedly past his prime . He runs the game in midfield and is head and shoulders above any other england player . He at times seems to carve open the brazilian defence open at will with his invention.He makes it look so easy. The other england players look like headless chickens in comparison apart from scholes.

I know its wasn't a real competive game but England hold their own against a very brazilian good team .

I think this gazza was a better and more influential player than the younger gazza at the 90 world cup who often ran around like a headless chicken.