DiBiagio's call ups and the March friendlies

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Rosay, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Give him a break he is young.

2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Capello joins Italy race?
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Former Milan, Roma and Juventus boss Fabio Capello has reportedly joined the race to become Italy’s next CT.

According to Libero, ‘the marriage between the FIGC and Capello is possible’ after the Coach left Jiangsu Suning on Wednesday, while he could be ‘the right man to revive Italy’.

The pair have rarely seen eye to eye over the years, but the federation is undergoing reform, with the veteran’s Milan protégé Alessandro Costacurta currently vice-commissioner.

Capello is no stranger to international management, having guided England to the 2010 World Cup and Russia to Brazil four years later.

4. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lol it's going to be Capello

6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yep, either him or Di Bagio considering FIGC is already complaining about salaries.

7. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys do you not know what ON PAPER means????? It means if you compare player by player.

Let's compare us to Belgium for example:

Buffon > Courtois
    Chiellini > Kompany
    Bonucci > Lombarts
    Florenzi > Alderweireld
    Zappacosta > Vertonghen
    Marchisio > Witsel
    Verratti < Nainggolan
    Insigne < Hazard
    Chiesa = Carrasco (Maybe Carrasco is a bit better right now)
    Pellegrini / Parolo < De Bruyne
    Immobile / Belotti < Mertens

It is pretty even on paper. We can look at Argentina as well:

Buffon > Romero
    Chiellini > Otamendi
    Bonucci > Fazio
    Florenzi > Rojo
    Zappacosta > Garay
    Marchisio > Mascherano
    Verratti > Biglia
    Pellegrini / Parolo < Benenga
    Insigne < Dybala / Di Maria
    Chiesa < Messi
    Immobile / Belotti < Higuain / Aguero

We are almost comparable with Argentina as well.

Let's see Croatia

Buffon > Subasic
    Chiellini > Corluka
    Bonucci > Vida
    Florenzi = Vrsaljko
    Zappacosta > Strinic / Pivaric
    Marchisio > Badelj
    Verratti < Modric
    Pellegrini / Parolo < Rakitic
    Insigne = Perisic
    Chiesa = Pjaca
    Immobile < Mandzukic

Again we are equal ON PAPER with these teams. It doesn't mean the team itself though. Because we lack chemistry and we have been mismanaged for a while we suck, but I was talking about ON PAPER.

9. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    uhhh...

gumbacicc repped this.
  10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What metrics are you using to compare them? You say both Zappacosta and Florenzi are better than Vertonghen and Alderweireld? How and why? You're comparing two right backs to two CB's. Zappacosta started 10 games all year. Vertonghen has played every game for Spurs.

Marchisio is not better than Mascherano today. He was not better than Mascherano 5 years ago. Also Marchisio will likely never play for Italy again. He shouldn't even be apart of the conversation. Lucas Biglia walks into Italy's starting 11.

So much to unpack here

ArtemioD repped this.
  11. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I don't even know where to begin with this, I-A-F. You have to consider the magnitude of how much greater the other player is on the other side comparison. You can't assign, for example, a +1 OR -1 for each comparison and then tally them up and decide that our teams are roughly equal. De Bruyne is so much better than Parolo/Pellegrini, for example, that it renders this type of analysis useless. Unless I misunderstand you, sir.

gumbacicc repped this.
  12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I agree with that. You do have a point here. And yes De Bruyne is a lot better than Parolo and probably Pellegrini as well.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not sure what Belgium's starting 11 currently is, but Alderweireld and Vertonghen used to play full backs for Belgium out of position. They might still do, but maybe the new coach changed that.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Really? You sure about Marchisio? I don't think so. I think he will play for Italy again. The only reason he was not in the squad was because he still has injury concerns. Kind of like Pirlo awhile ago. Remember when Pirlo got severely injured at a certain point in Milan and had a few years when he did not stand out? But then went to Juventus and became a key player again until he moved to MLS. Same with Khedira as well. Until he went to Juventus, he was struggled after the serious injury. Now he is back.

15. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is a flat out lie. In his prime, Marchisio was one of the best midfielders (top 10) in football

16. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am actually down for Capello, if not only for the fact that my Nonna grew up with him

17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Pass. Does anyone ever recall Capello winning anything when he didn't have the most talented side?

Falc repped this.
  18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not really. Maybe Serie A with Juventus. Milan arguably had comparable talent to Juve when he was in charge of Juve. I am not sure, I'd prefer him to Ventura, but he might be a little too strict. He is kind of like Mourinho in some ways when it comes to personality.

19. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you want Mourinho then?

Good managers go to good teams and win, like IDK who you would want as a manager then?

20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No I do not want Mourinho.

21. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Not even close. Juve had world class talent at every position and he managed to win the scudetto, accordingly. They were very poor in CL the two years he was there. For me, largely underwhelming with Juve.

22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Preferably someone who didn't fail with multiple national teams like Capello.

Vialli-Toto repped this.
  23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He was England's most winning coach of all time in his four year period :D

And in tournament style, anything is possible, that's why I wouldn't be all that concerned whether it be he or even Ranieri, two coaches that have some tactical mind set rather than a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 "just go out and do what you can" tactician like DiBiagio or Ventura.

24. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Given our limited talent pool, I would prefer a manager that's used to making the most of what he has and overachieving, alla Conte, over someone that's only won with the best talent, e.g, Capello, Ancellotti, etc.

25. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree that the talent is not 1990-2008. It's not as horrible as everyone wants to believe. The crisis is what it is, and it brings out the worst in fans. The team needs a long term manager that can find the starting 11 and build a formation around them, with a B and C plan. Long term, I'd like Ancelotti. Don't be cheap and give him a 5 year guaranteed contract with at least $5m/season and he'd probably take it.

I'd welcome Conte back too. I'd like Ancelotti because I think he can mold some of these players well and there will be respect in the dressing room. Capello for the latter and like I said, he'll go back to roots IMO. Ranieri is that outlier tournament style coach that no one will see coming for a while.

DiBiagio - No
    Mancini - No

I'm mostly in favor of Ancelotti, obviously.