Diaoyutai Islands or Senkaku Islands?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ludahai, Oct 23, 2002.

1. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Secretly you realise chinese are superior, that's why you read our textbooks and watch CCTV.

2. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002

hahahaha oh man!! shenhua, that was a comment below the belt!! haha

3. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    i heard "PR" China's men are resorting to prostitution, homosexuality, and kidnappings because of female infanticideand resulting skewed gender ratio.

30 million bachelors in China and counting...

and they all have to come to post on the BigSoccer boards.

4. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    you're the one to talk about homosexuality?? you're *********#*&^ korean ok, you guys have to be the most homosexual out of the asian races. take a look at your guys and your popstars, dye their hair and put on makeup, i also heard grown men in korea hold hands with each other, who are you to call gay?

5. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    why are you so homophobic? i mentioned kidnapping and prostitution alongside "homosexuality" and the only thing that seemed to offend you was the "homosexuality" part. I thought everybody was an equal in the Communist Paradise?

30 million bachelors and counting

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    It's when the 30 million single guys start watching Judy Garland films, listen to Take That and own small fluffy yappy dogs is when things get a bit suspicious :).

7. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Those Korean male popstars get plastic surgery.

8. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    sure, everybody is equal, but let's be practical about it, some people are more equal than others.

9. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    again, typical greedy childish Chinese philosophy. "MINE MINE MINE MINE" "ME ME ME ME ME"

What did you say when others talk about china?
    you just claimed them they dont know anything about China and they should go study more before they talk about China.
    lol

10. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Everybody is Equal but but they are not all same, thats right phrase.
    Most chinese think all people are SAME. thats the problem with mainland Chinese.

11. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    It seems like you still don't know much about China even you have studied.

12. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I know you guys are in denial, cant face the reality cuz it will destroy your dream world.

13. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Your're in denial cuz you know that even Pyongyang is better than seoul, never mind China.

14. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Of course we are in denial. What else can we do when someone bullshi+ about our country?

15. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan

This is where you are wrong. There is a legal term to describe the status of the Island of Taiwan prior to the 17th century. That is terra nes rullius. This essentially means that this is open territory. This is the status of most of North America at the beginning of the 17th century as well as large parts of Africa. There was no central state government, so according to the international law that was practiced at the time, there was no sovereign over the territory.

In the 1620s, following an agreement between the Ming and the Dutch, the Dutch evacuated Penghu and moved over to Taiwan Island. They established their power over two areas of the island (Tainan and Jilong). In 1661 (as you pointed out), Ming loyalists under Zheng Chenggong (Koxinga) ousted the Dutch. Legally, the territory was still considered terra nes rullius because there was no way Koxinga could credibly claim to represent Chinese authority because the Ming Dynasty had already fallen. In 1683, the Qing ousted Koxinga's grandson and annexed the island, making it a part of Fujian Province. According to international law, territory that has this status can legally be incorporated by conquest, as was the case here.

Except the Manchurians (like the Mongolians before them) set up their capital inside China, as well as adopted Chinese language and culture. Kubilai Kahn, for example, didn't even speak Mongolian, but spoke Chinese instead. Qianlong spoke better Chinese than he did Manchurian. There was no Taiwanese state to absorb the Chinese settlers. As the territory was terra nes rullius, the comparison doesn't make any sense.

A constant theme of history.

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I looked at this site as well as the other you referenced. You expect me to take the word of pro-independence sites like these over the scholastic works of noted historians such as John King Fairbank and Jonathan Spence? Excuse me for trusting the published worked of noted Harvard and Yale historians over the drivel you have found on the web.

17. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Shenhua, KC, don't fall into this petty bickering with Jamisont. He isn't worth it. Stick to the issues and the facts. Did you look at the drivel he posted links to?

18. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your dream world shenhua. Look at the difference between North and South Korea on this picture taken at night.

People must go to bed early in that worker's paradise in the north.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/dprk/images/dprk-dmsp-dark.jpg

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Looks like someone just got done reading "Animal Farm" and missed the point entirely.

Alex

20. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    LOL you expect me to believe you but you constantly bring up those wrong statement.

What makes you think Mongolians spoke Chinese during Yuan Dynasty??
    Unlike Manchurians, they didnt trust any Chinese.(thats why Mongolians still have their own language)

Do you even know What official script and language was during Yuan Dynasty? I know it wasnt Chinese.
    Have you even heard about hPags-Pa Lodoi Jaltsan's script or dorvolzhin bichig?

21. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Pyongyang is actually a lot better than most people think. It's very quiet, very clean and it's a nice city.

22. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That's because if you litter or make any noise you get shot.

Alex

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Harvard and Yale drivel is of a much higher quality.

24. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Hey, there's always a price to pay!

25. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    During the reign of the earlier emperors of the Yuan Dynasty, this is true. However, Kubilai Khan completely accepted Chinese life. He wasn't a nomad, but lived in Beijing. He adopted Chinese culture and spoke Chinese better than he did Mongolian.

You still haven't responded to the important part of the discussion, the legal status of Taiwan at the beginning of the 17th century and the events that led to its incorporation into China in 1683.