Diamanti should have been picked for world cup 2014

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy08, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why didn't Prandelli pick Diamanti. Diamanti beat Uruguay by scoring 2 goals in 2013. He also was a great player in Euro 2012. Diamanti is the link between Balotelli and pirlo.

2. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have no idea. Someone mentioned it was because he went to the Chinese league - but what difference would that make.

2014 is starting to become more painful than 2010. This time we actually had a range of talented players to pick.

jerrito repped this.
  3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Prandelli after Conferdation 2013 cup:
    "You need 23 athletes in Brazil. Not just footballers. Twenty-three athletes."

=
    Parolo replaced Diamanti.

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  4. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was hoping that Prandelli would take him. Giaccherini was like this as well and might have been of service here. they are dynamic player who run and fight, but also have the skill to serve forwards. We needed a few of those type of players, not an old and tired Cassano who does not seem to have ever become an adult. I would always take at least a few players like them to a tournament if I was the manager.:D

I hope that our future CT will take note of this lack of movement up front with this team and not repeat it. We were far too static and it hurt us badly as opponents like Costa Rica challenged us by staying back and waiting.

ITALIA1982 and Nek Sanalet repped this.
  5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There was no player on the italy final 23 who had the qualities of Diamanti. He was probably the only real #10 available and he wasn't picked. He doesn't have the elegance of a Totti, but the guy busts his balls and is gritty as ********. A left foot cannon that can score from anywhere.

johnny6 and jerrito repped this.
  6. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Precisely. This is a very important type of player in a tournament.

Kqql and johnny6 repped this.
  7. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yep Diamanti and Giacch would of probably made a difference. Giacch is not an amazing player but he plays with heart and gives 110% the whole time he's on the field, i remember him still sprinting all over the field during last years confed cup vs Spain in extra time and even almost scoring too! Diamanti will take any chance at goal, sometimes it's funny and other times it works but at least he takes chances. We had zero dynamic players this WC.

jerrito repped this.
  8. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. I think sometimes people fall in love with players who have the best technical skills and forget that players like Gattuso and Nicola Berti are also very important at this level.

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everytime something bad happens people search for reasons, which is natural. but diamanti or rossi wouldn't have saved this team either. This team fell apart due to internal reasons which happens to some world cup teams cuz you have 23 personalities and the coaching staff who have to be with each other for like 2 months everyday so you are bound to have disagreements....and the likes of balotelli and cassano really ruined things.

question should be why wasnt diamanti part of a big team for the last 2-3 yrs? why was he in a low level team and not part of the top 6-7 teams in italy? someone shoulda picked him up

what went wrong with italy was after the england game. i was convinced they were gonna go far but that costa rica game threw everything away. such a shame

10. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not saying we would have won the World Cup by taking Diamanti to Brasil. I am just making the point that we were very still much of the time and could have used some players who gave everything and were constantly moving. Diamanti and Giaccherini are like that.

As for the second part of your post about team unity, I have to say in my 40 years of watching Azzurri football, I do not remember an Italia in which there was so much division. Yes, there were probably disagreements among players in the past, some we have heard talk about. But not like this. At least not so publicly. This was not like us. Italian team cohesiveness is something I have always been proud about.

krado33 repped this.
  11. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't feel bad for him. He accepted a move to china in January of a World Cup year. Despite whatever promises cesare made to him how would you judge whether he is in form or not playing in the lega MangiaCane. If he would have been stayed in Serie A or moved to say the EPL. There's no doubt in my mind if healthy he was going to brazil

12. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Giaccherini I would have taken regardless of not being in Serie A anymore. He can run all game and has decent skills. Very useful IMO in a humid World Cup

jerrito repped this.
  13. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Fully agree !!!

jerrito repped this.
  14. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    They must pay him really well in China.

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yes they do...
    Yes the pay a lot....
    Lippi gets 14m Euros a year...

Gila says he turned Toronto thinking Prandelli will call him @ the WC and he didn't.
    Now he' s there too.