**Di Francesco & the Ghost of Zeman**

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    #26 Salmeen10, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    EDF is pragmatic when it comes to defense, he switches between zonal defending and aggressive man marking, deep or high line depending on the situation, same as our previous 2 coaches.

I'm more worried about the attacking phase, so far the players haven't been able to implement his style and we have a tough start for the season.

I'm interested to see how Dzeko will fare under EDF. His system relies on the wingers to create space and the striker attacking the space, the opposite of how we played under Spalletti and Garcia.

Theoretically he should have more room, but Dzeko's strength was always creating space for the wingers, he is not great at making runs behind the defenders. At least we have some insurance in Defrel, just in case Dzeko struggles.

2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Rumors that some important players are not happy with EDF style of play, and I have a good guess who these might be. This was my issue all along with hiring EDF, we have surpassed the need for a master tactician and instead needed someone who earns respect from all players, we already have the quality to make a simple system work.

EDF tactics put the midfielders at disadvantage, and it also happens that our midfielders are the most important figures in the locker room. Hopefully this is unfounded and we start the year with few wins, this will make the transition much smoother.

GamE_Ove12 and wm72 repped this.
  4. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That rumor explains why the midfield has looked like crap

5. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone wants the team to look top level at all times, but this is just preseason. We might struggle, but we could also go and score 3 goals against Atalanta on Sunday.

There were games in the US where the team looked really good. The two games in Spain weren't as good. But the true test is coming up.

6. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, agree that it's just preseason and no reason to read too much into it.

I will say, however, that hearing De Rossi compare Di Francesco's system to Zeman's a few weeks ago made me cringe.

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be the first team to score 90 goals and give up 90 goals. :cool:

8. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That's concerning because Roma can't afford an off year from DDR like with the Zeman season.

wm72 repped this.
  9. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    897188632636801024 is not a valid tweet id

10. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without SES and a Mahrez-calibre player, the team isn't suited to 4-3-3 right now. Perrotti and Defrel on the wings is just not going to be good enough offensively.

3-5-2 makes more sense, giving Peres and Kolarov freedom on the wings and letting Perrotti roam under Dzeko.

11. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ..and Dzeko who will be reduced from a striker who had service left and right and scored 30 goals under Spalletti to a striker who is sole purpose is to drop deep to open spaces to the wingers and will be luck if he scores two figures this year.

12. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In over 200 games with Sassuolo he played no formation other than 433 except in 8-10 games and even then it was due injuries. Don't hold your breath.

13. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. But EDF needs to evolve. I hope he understands that. If you look at Conte for example, I believe he went to Juve and everyone thought he would play 4-3-3 and he did for a while. But he adjusted to that 3-5-2 formation that set up a solid foundation for both Juventus and the Italian NT. Then he went to Chelsea and everyone thought he'd play a 3-5-2, but he went to like a 4-2-3-1 and then settled on a 3-4-3 that won him the league.

EDF is not Conte - but he could be if he can learn to evolve.

I mean, SES hasn't played a minute of preseason, that is worrying. Our only wingers are Perrotti, Defrel and Under. That is worrying for a system dependent on wing play. We just do not have the wingers to play a 4-3-3 right now. I really hope he is able to adapt. I think a 3-5-2 with Defrel playing under Dzeko could be really good.

14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Well, EDF has been pretty clear all summer, he said he will always play 4-3-3 unless injuries stop him.

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Someone is coming in to play in the wing and along with Perotti that a string starting pair. We've got the quality at wing back as well so I don't see this we don't have enough on the wing argument. The issue will be getting midfield to gel initially. However strootman and ninja have the quality to make it work. Them working together holds the key.

16. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think we're already there, no? Without SES and a new RW, there are hardly any options on the wings. The only option off the bench is Under, who has never played in Serie A.

17. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Our midfield was one of the most dominant in Serie A/Europe playing 433 under Garcia.

However, I still believe DDR should be splitting time between cb and dm. A DDR ninja stroot mid just lacks creativity necessary throughout a game; we need to have Gerson or Pellegrini playing.

Oban14 repped this.
  18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Perrotti is our starting LW this year, so this means we are lacking RW only. It will take a lot more than that for EDF to change systems.

If he does change it against Atalanta, then it means he was pressured by the players and management to do so.

19. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We had Pjanic though, it made a lot of difference. Spalletti made DDR-Stroot-Ninja work, but not in 4-3-3. Garcia struggled to make it work too.

20. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes, that's why one of Gerson or Pellegrino needs to start. Ninja is obviously going to start. So the last spot is split between Strootman and DDR.

21. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain

If they were going to do that then they should have just sold Ninja for 60M and signed Seri, Strootman never proved he is a better DM than DDR. I think the plan was always to rely on Ninja-Stroot-DDR/Gonalons in 4-3-3, and it seems like this is going to be a problem.

wm72 repped this.
  22. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why the Strootman rumor caught my attention last week. We just extended ninja. I'd choose Strootman of the two, but if the alternative is continuing to have a hole in our midfield that Pjanic left a year ago, do what you gotta do.

23. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Out of selling Strootman or Ninja to get a creator in, I sell Strootman. But on the other hand, EDF should have the tactical prowess in order to make this work and not just to fit his one and only style. That's on him.

24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hes never had to but for me its a logical position move for him in future. He has the brain and patience to sit.

shiboboo repped this.
  25. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    The few times I've seen him there he had nowhere near the tactical awareness DDR has, which is normal. Either way this is irrelevant, there is 0% chance Strootman will be moved to DM this year, we already bought Gonalons to rotate with DDR.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.