DFB Pokal 2 Round - 1. FC Kaiserslautern vs VfB Stuttgart, Oct 25 [R]

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by el americano, Oct 27, 2017.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. FC Kaiserslautern vs VfB Stuttgart
    DFB Pokal
    Wednesday, October 25, 6:30 PM
    Fritz-Walter-Stadion

Injured:
    Gentner, Kaminski, Donis (VfB)

Referee: Patrick Ittrich

TV:
    VfBTV after the match

I didn't realize the second round was coming midweek, but thanks to VFB TV, I saw the full replay. We dominated from the outset, as you might expect when a Bundesliga team faces the last place 2. Bundesliga team. Benjamin Pavard decided to make it interesting by heading the ball back to the keeper from distance. He missed, and as luck would have it the pass was perfect for their striker and out of reach of Badstuber. It was like a penalty kick. 1-0, 7 minutes in. We got even before the half with a Kaiserslautern mistake and some generous refereeing. A defender let the ball bounce, then never got a touch. Asano interposed himself and headed towards goal with the man on his back. He intentionally fouled Asano outside the box, but we got a PK anyway - not overturned. The kick in the leg was definitely outside, but he was also pulling back the shoulder, which continued until over the line. It was a good match to start Ginczek, he got chances, but this well struck penalty was his only score. In the second half, Badstuber came off voluntarily. I didn't see any contact - probably something from the first half he was trying to play through. He's out again, and this time it cost a sub. We scored twice in the second half, and they barely got close to our goal. Terodde, who came on as a sub, will perpetuate the notion that he's a 2.BL scorer, but it was good to see him and Akolo leave the keeper with no chance. On to the round of 16. They will draw our opponent on Sunday.

Winoman repped this.
  2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be Mainz 05 away, on Dec. 19th or 20th.
    924684707949924353 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.