DFB-Pokal 11/12 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Alex_K, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    One season is hardly enough to draw conclusions. In 2007 you had 5 Bundesliga clubs go out against 3rd or 4th division teams in the first round, and that round was played after the 3rd BL matchday. 3 or 4 teams going out is hardly out of the ordinary. If this goes on for a few seasons in a row, than you might be able to make such conclusions.

It also depends on what teams you play - Falkensee-Finkenkrug, Hennef, Schönberg, Nöttingen etc. will loose 99 out of 100 games against a BL or 2nd BL club even if they have played 10 games and their opponents 0 so far. Of the 6 BL clubs, 4 lost against fully professional teams. That the 3rd Lifa and 2nd BL already have played games might be a factor in there, but so far it could as well be just a coincidence of the draw this season.

2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the draw for the second round?

3. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The temperatures last weekend probably also played a role. One could see in many matches, that some BL teams got stamina problems at on-pitch-temperatures of about 45°C, 115 °F against teams with already 5 league matches played. Not that I want to use this pathetic scheduling as an excuse for failure, but it is simply idiotic to let matches take place in the afternoon or even noon. Even in the Spanish league hat normally plays all day long this weekend the first matches started at 7 PM, while some cup matches here were played at 2 PM and 4 PM. Well, at least the temperatures decrease until the BL season starts, so I hope there for better matches.

Next Saturday, 10:30 PM CET.

Hobo repped this.
  4. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good call WB! However, while all this is true, much of the "blame" for the teams who are out has to go to their coaches.

Whether they've played "competitive" matches or not, the bottom line is many of those teams simply weren't prepared for the challenges they faced.

For example, I don't consider the Super Cup a "competitive" match. I know the DFB says it is, but we (BVB) don't take it as one.

Some of the blame has to go on the players. Yes. However, when a team isn't prepared for the task at hand, that is a coaching problem man.

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's why I stated it will be interesting to see how long the 1st Buli clubs will stick to this schedule. Hey, it's only 2.5 mil. if you win the cup, that's peanuts for most Buli teams.... but it is possible to reach Europa league.... where more money and prestige awaits.... think you know what will happen if those teams give importance on a change of the schedule..... if they want it, DFB and DFL will do it. Who knows what will happen if we'll get to see next year 6 teams going home again....

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Correct. That's the way it should be. Maybe they are afraid in terms of their Asian cooperators. This weekend la liga and PL started with games in the evening. Maybe they wanted to go for less competition with playing the games in the afternoon to get more viewers in overseas?

BTW. Am I the only one who thinks Buli pros should have in general the better requirements to overcome the temperatures? After 60 minutes those half-pros should normally look like they played tiki-taka Spain for 90 minutes......

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? Im not quite sure.

I mean if it was one or two or three coaches who did not manage to prepare their teams......but it was a third of all Buli teams! If you're a bit into training plans you know that Buli teams have two options. Option 1 is you prepare to be fully on track in terms of fitness and tactics when the season starts. The disadvantage is a chance of having a team out of shape up the road towards Christmas. Option 2 is you let your season preparation end 3-4 weeks after the actual season beginning. You try to "survive" the first games as best as you can while you will be prepared for the whole half of the season then. Maybe that was a factor, too......

8. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can a Mod unsticky this thread, move all the recent posts to the 2012-13 thread, and then sticky that thread?

unclesox and footyfan1 repped this.
  9. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just about to post that there's already a thread for the current competition here.