Development Academy / USSF guidance tutorial

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by jeffmefun, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As part of typical post-WC catharsis, and as follow up to the NYT/Ajax article, Klinsi's commentary, Claudio's interview, etc. I've done some reading on the USSF Development Academy, was embarrassed not to have known more about it, and have some basic questions I'm sure people here can assist with:
    (as always, if this fodder from a prior thread, please redirect (my quick look didn't see anything)

1) How much are the DA principles (More Training, Fewer Total Games) promulgated outside of DA squads?

2) Does USSF have much influence on how other leagues & organizations (e.g. AYSO, etc.) structure their programs?

3) How many of the DA Clubs are from urban / poor areas? (e.g. I didn't see any quickly from the Bronx (e.g. South Bronx Unitedor Brooklyn, but it was tough to figure out where everyone is from...)

4) Do these DA teams scout? If so, how young do they look? As young as say, 9-11 year old level?

5) Following #4 and #2, do the DA teams have any influence on how their potential feeder programs are structured?

6) Are the DA teams allowed / encouraged to affiliate with potential feeder programs in the 9-11 age range?

7) Does USSF issue / promulgate any guidance for 9-11 (or younger) training?

8) Are there any youth clubs / academies with affiliations to major teams (foreign or domestic) that are *not* part of the DAP?

Alrighty, enough for now! Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to not answer all of your questions (it would take awhile) and not finish reading the questions, but I should refer you to chapter 30 or 31 of Filip Bundy's book "Chasing The Game". I thought I was as close to an expert on the tangled web that is USA Youth Development, but one of those two chapters (I can't recall which) is very, VERY insightful on the entire process, and its evolution.

1 person likes this.
  3. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the sort of tip I'm looking for! Thanks! (Not to discourage anyone who is willing to answer any of those questions! ;) )

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Well, as you may have gathered, the whole DA approach was started BECAUSE most youth teams adhere to an opposing approach. Is that changing as a result of DA's? Too early to tell. But I can tell you that around here, the better teenage boys recognize that academies are the places to be.

It will take a long time to move away from a tournament approach because it is so ingrained in youth soccer...from the way college coaches scout players to the way host clubs raise money through tournaments.

2) Officially no, but there is so much cross pollination among coaches and adminstrators that the ideas will percolate through...and whatever ideas show success will be replicated.

4) Do they scout? Yeah, somewhat, mostly they'll rely on hearing about exceptional talents through the grapevine and then seeking them out...other than the top talents, if there is enough demand (players available) they don't have to do a lot of recruiting.

5) Depends on the club structure, but not really...for example in my county we have one of the largest youth soccer clubs in the nation (MSI). But they are not part of the Academy system. Many eventual academy products will be poached from MSI teams, but have little or no input into training...and recreational/beginning soccer expereinces almost always rely on volunteer coaches who have a lot of autonomy and not so much experience/training

6) Academy's start at U9 around here

7) Sure, there are guidelines...not so much specificity in terms of detailed training plans though...and most coaches probably couldn't do a great job with a specific training plan.

One caveat I'd make...the DA approach can't divorce itself from the collegiate soccer system. For most kids in the academy - and these are very good players - collegiate soccer will be the highest level they reach. In other countries kids may take part in an all or nothing system...I think here if you remove the fallback of collegiate play there will be a lot less enthusiasm for a system where 1 or 2 kids on a team get a shot at a pro contract and 20 get nothing.

As much as we want a system that gives us star players, any 'system' of development will depend on meeting the interests of most kids taking part.

1 person likes this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Just as it should be Professional Soccer players should be only 1-2% of a top DA Team.

6. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Pardon my ignorance if this has been already discussed, but how much money does USSF actually spend on funding players at Bradenton. I know that a number of these players have to pay from $40,000-$50,000 to attend the academy full-time. But what of the players who make up the U-17 team. Do they get free rides or do they still have to come-up with a portion of some of that money?

7. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Bradenton is 100% free. Think about it. It's the national academy. They're not going to charge the best teenagers in the nation.

8. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both right.

Bradenton, FL is the home of IMG Academies offering high level training in many sports. Nothing at IMG in Bradenton is free.

IMG hosts USYNT U-17 and, also, offers their own soccer academy. banbaseball is confusing IMG Academy attendees with the U-17 USYNT players. The 1st group pays to play whereas the later, USYNT, are offered training, travel, classes on everything soccer professional related, High School, lodging, meals, gear, etc. paid for or otherwise provided for by USSF .

9. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    FC Dallas Juniors are free as are all MLS team academies I think.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Columbus is free and that has resulted in a few players driving from the Cleveland area rather than pay the fee's for the DA teams in that area.

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United is not free, but it is much cheaper than other academies or premier teams in the area, and supposedly they pick up costs for poorer kids.